This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Good Cycling Books (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Good Cycling Books
VTTBoscombe
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for VTTBoscombe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So a question to the OTF Peleton.

As there are no decent books on Mountain Biking - apart from maintenance books, route planning and pretty pictures of glorified BMX esque stunts,I have been reading more skinny tired/tyred variety.

Read "Tour de Force" by Dan Coyle, which I really enjoyed, and just presently finishing off "French Revolutions" by Tim Moore, which I am enjoying, although a lighter, Bryson style read.

I have the usual L'Equipe Tour souvenir books; but just pretty pictures and times, nothing that gets in the head of the riders.

So what other recomendations are there out there , for a good read, especially about the non corinthian spirit that seems never to have been present in roadie culture?

And no, this does not mean, I am going to buy a skinny tyred bone shaker, riding on roads is too damn dangerous.
Although LePierre do some nice models, and as for those slinky Italian steeds.....

Posts: 1047 | From: La Côte du Rhin | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found the Wheatcross book to be entertaining for its historical scope, though he does get bogged down in race results at parts.

The amazon reviews give you a good idea of what it is like. Perhaps needless to say, I am the sort who enjoys weird historical references and asides in romance languages, but if that is the kind of thing that pisses you off. It does have a good bibilography, though, which could be a source for further reading (particularly in French).

There is also another book by a British journalist following Le Tour in the late 60s or early 70s that is quite good on the period, but I can't remember its (or his) name.

All of the Matt Rendel books are good.

There was a terrific 1960s documentary on Le Tour on Arte the other night in the small hours that showed things like the raids on bistrots that used to be a regular part of a domestique's job description, but I missed its name. I am sure they will show it again.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage is superb. Brutally honest, and enough to make him persona non grata for a good decade afterwards.

William or Alasdair (always mix them up) Fotheringham's Tom Simpson bio Put Me back On My Bike is excellent.

More as I think of them.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Third Policeman
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha - yeah, The Third Policeman definitely. No other book explores so intimately the relationship between rider and bicycle.

(Except perhaps The Dalkey Archive by the same author.)

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VTTBoscombe
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for VTTBoscombe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff thanks guys, you may get me into lycra after all (shudders at thought).
Posts: 1047 | From: La Côte du Rhin | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LA Confidentiel by David Walsh is supposed to be pretty interesting. Though it's only available in French.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VTTBoscombe
Member # 1411

Oh yes, Lance loves Walsh doesn't he?
mafu
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for mafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i liked tim krabbé's de renner (the rider). semifictional account of a continental road race, from the pov of one of the entrants.
Posts: 255 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say The Rider. Very short, sucks you in and you can easily read it in one sitting.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VTT, the book I couldn't remember yesterday is Geoffrey Nicholson's The Great Bike Race.

Used copies from Amazon here.

If you PM me a postal or email address, I would be happy to send you a photocopy of the bibliograhical essay from the Wheatcroft book.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think 'Put Me Back On My Bike' is the best cycling book I've eevr read.
Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VTTBoscombe
Member # 1411

Thanks for the copy of the Wheatcroft recomendations, Ursus - lots of recomendations in that.
I will be researching on Amazon.fr this very day clutching the Visa.

Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just started Michael Hutchinson's The Hour; it's absolutely fantastic so far.

He's the dominant figure in british domestic time trialling, and decided to have a go at the hour record a few years ago. He's also a fomrmer academic and a funny bastard, so he writes brilliantly. It's equal parts history of the record and those who held it, and autobiographical account. And has some of the best descriptions of the sheer fun of bike-riding that I've ever seen.

So far, like.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

Well, it's brilliant. One of the best books on sport I've read in a long time; a genuinely intelligent guy, and an excellent writer, explaining the appeal, and lack of appeal of a professional sporting lifestyle. It goes right into the bowels of the logistics involved in top-level sport, the absurdities perpetrated by governing bodies, and how and why failures happen.

And it's very, very funny.

I also read Willy Voet's Breaking The Chain recently; eye-opening stuff, but profoundly depressing.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC