This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Good Cycling Books (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Good Cycling Books
kuhisek
Member # 1762

- posted      Profile for kuhisek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased you like them both, ursus.
Posts: 944 | From: the gutter, staring at the tsars | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm half way through 'The Escape Artist' by Matt Seaton.

Has anyone else read it? What did you think?

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fausto said this back in October:

"The Escape artist by Matt Seaton is a brilliant book and gets very close to understanding the obsessive nature of some cyclists. He was married to Ruth Picardy and he writes really well."

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All true, it's part cycling-obsessive book, part deconstruction of the British Communist Party, and part homage to a dying wife.
Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kuhisek
Member # 1762

- posted      Profile for kuhisek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt Seaton once listed his own top ten cycling books in The Guardian - some of them are already mentioned above - and he also echoed Toro's recommendation of The Hour.

[ 12.02.2007, 14:48: Message edited by: sam gonfle ]

Posts: 944 | From: the gutter, staring at the tsars | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VTTBoscombe
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for VTTBoscombe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally got round to reading "Rough Ride". It's been updated up to and including Floyd's little mis adventure.

My main reaction to Kimmage is, why is he so suprised by the reaction of his fellow cyclists to his original version?
He does come across as rather naive - a fact he admits; but his outrage at his colleagues reaction is almost schoolboyish.

I did enjoy the book though; but less for his crusading attitude, and more for his description of being a domestique, and his thoughts during a race, when it worked and when it didn't for him.

His writing certainly improved in his later stories, well he has had a few years of journo practicing by then I suppose. But his life carrying water in the team was great and gritty.

Also got "Un Siecle de Cyclisme" for Xmas as well, great coffee table book, dip in and out, great facts and writing in there and fantastic photos - favourite is the look on Greg LeMond's face when he has learnt he has actually beaten Fignon by the smallest of times - pure suprised joy.

Posts: 1047 | From: La Côte du Rhin | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Willy Voet's book is also annoying for how much he uses innuendo for some riders. He drops Kelly in it fairly regularly, safe in the knowledge that the great man shrugs at all things drug related.

I'm reading 'vie et mort de Marco Pantani' at the moment. It's by Philippe Brunel, journalist for l'Equipe. Gripping stuff and graphic as well. It reads like a Patricia Cornwall thriller and paints the portrait of a gifted, complex and ultimately tragic character. It will have to be translated at some stage and I recommend looking out for it.

Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read David Walsh's "From Lance to Landis". Highly recommended, especially for those like me who couldn't read "LA Confidentiel". Unfortunately, for libel reasons, it hasn't been published in the UK, and it hasn't sold well in the States. I think people here still believe in Lance's purity.

Kimmage was inexperienced when he wrote Rough Ride, but his book and his later work on drugs in sports stands out as outstanding given most people preferred to close their eyes. He's the first to admit he didn't expect the reaction he got and eventually, in his words, "copped out" and quite investigative reporting as he couldn't take it. But he did a good thing for his sport with his stand on its own terms.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you say it stands out as an outstanding example of outstanding standing-out-ness, g97?

(smiley)

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, if I wanted to phrase it even more poorly.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC