This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Crime Fiction (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Crime Fiction
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a bit of a thing for European noir at the moment, both written and/or set in Europe that is.
I think I like the idea of a historical dimension to the crime...

Olen Steinhauer (US based, but from Hungary, I think) writes grim noir novels set under Stalinism in an un-named East/Central European country

Alan Furst writes WW2-set novels, all great noirish spies-n-resistance stuff.

Martin Cruz Smith's last-but-one Renko novel, Wolves Eat Dogs, takes our hero to Chernobyl. I thought it was brilliant.

I've also read a few of the Swedish crime novels by Henning Mankell-good, solid police procedurals but not absolutely my thing.

Whereas I love Sjowall and Wahloo's 1960s swedish novels.

And continuing the Nordic theme, I read an Icelandic novel with 'blood' in the title, by somebody Idridason. Worth a read.

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes I've read three of his. Arnaldur. I really like them. I think the one you mean is the first one? It also came out under the title Jar City.

Apparently it's been made into a film, too.

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? An Icelandic film, d'you mean?

It is 'Jar City' as was, as I remember that place/idea from the novel.

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805576/

I've heard it's not that great a film, but I'd like to see it anyway. I think Erlendur's a retty good addition to the weary cop with fucked up home life genre.

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took three of Furst's WW2 novels on holiday a few years back, there very "samey" when read back to back. Ration em. *chuckles to self*.

Ive just finished Elmore Leonards "Up In Honeys Room" Its typical Leonard but set in Detroit during WW2. Escaped POW's, FBI, etc. Good but not great by his standards.

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

There's not many authors I'd want to read 3-in-a-row of.

Can I add Philip Kerr's 'Berlin Noir' trilogy and Joseph Kanon to this list?

(This is why I almost never join in 'My top 10 *****s' threads-I always forget names that ought to be there)

Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The three Furst's were emergency purchases as Id left for the airport without my original choices.
I also took the "Bourne" 3 in 1 edition away once. It was so heavy I resorted to tearing pages out after reading it as the trek to the beach was a killer even without the heat.
I wont be doing anything like it again.

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new David Peace book is very good (Tokyo Year Zero) - rape, murder and the usual round of vastly flawed Peace characters, in the ruins of post-war Tokyo.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

Just finished "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" by Michael Chandon (Pulitzer Prize winner apparently).
Its a murder/political thriller set in a fictional Alaska given over to the Jewish population who were kicked out of Israel by a Palestinian uprising a few years after the Israeli state was established.
The WW2 Allies then decreed them a section of Alaska for 50yrs and the stories set against the days counting down to the handing back to the local Indian population with accompanying racial tensions and apprehensions Ala Hong Kong a few years back.
Usual maverick cop with broken marriage problems stuff. Enjoyed it and the film should be interesting. I had a mental picture of Elliott Gould playing the lead from the very first page.

For some reason its got me wanting to re-read Norman Mailers contribution to the noir/crime area "Tough Guys Dont Dance" which made a dreadful film with Ryan O'Neal iirc.

[ 23.10.2007, 11:08: Message edited by: Tyrannosaurus Alan ]

Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

Your earlier post has given me an earworm:

'Bourne 3, as 3 as the wind blows...'

lyra
Member # 1669

I've just started Down into Darkness, the new David Lawrence. Hooked already. It's going to be really good.
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a bit of a thing for European noir at the moment, both written and/or set in Europe that is.
I think I like the idea of a historical dimension to the crime...

Robert Janes's St Cyr and Kohler series are rather good, intelligently written books. A sūreté Inspector and a Gestapo officer have to work together to solve crimes in occupied France.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not read the Bourne 3 (presumably all written by Robert Ludlum), but I have read von Lustbader's Bourne Betrayal. I hope that Ludlum's a better writer than van Lustbader, because for all the fast-moving action and compelling storyline, it was atrociously written. I suppose you're not really looking for literature with these sorts of pop-novels, but for such an iconic figure as Bourne I was expecting something a bit better than a Dan Brownesque style.
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

Thanks, Amor de C: had never come across those before.
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're rather fine. I'm reading the most recent Beekeeper at the moment. My local mystery bookstore man thinks Janes may have stopped writing as he's published nothing for about five years, a shame if true. There are about ten in the series though, so plenty to tuck into.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC