This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Crime Fiction (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Crime Fiction
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinky Friedman is great.

Agree with JtS on Nature Girl, Hiaasen phoning it in. Stormy Weather is his best, I reckon.

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a.b.fox
Member # 809

- posted      Profile for a.b.fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Maigret books by George Simenon are generally excellent. Not so much for the unravelling of the criminal act itself, in my view, but more the way Simenon writes about rather sordid characters with such sympathy and understanding. Also, they're short, with short chapters, making them very readable, and there are lots and lots and lots of them. I think the best one might be 'A Man's Head'.
Posts: 315 | From: success city, arizona | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snorebens
Member # 697

- posted      Profile for Snorebens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One old school, one new...

Chester B Himes - All Shot Up. 1950's Harlem murder mystery. Great stuff
James Lee Burke - The Tin Roof Blowdown.
Katrina brought to life, warts and all.

Posts: 421 | From: E8 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chester Himes is brilliant - Blind Man with a Pistol and A Rage in Harlem are both excellent, really evocative of the period and with some really well-drawn characters.
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin Waites. Just read 'The Mercy Seat'.

I'd read his 'Miners' Strike' one (Born Under Punches) and liked it, even if it paled alongside the awesome 'GB84' but found a couple of others a bit heavy on the machismo n violence, but 'Mercy' was good (still very dark and violent), and nice bit of local colour in its Baltic, Millenium Bridge etc locations.

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chester Himes is brilliant - Blind Man with a Pistol and A Rage in Harlem are both excellent, really evocative of the period and with some really well-drawn characters.
I've never read Himes' crime fiction--only If He Hollers, Let Him Go and parts of The Lonely Crusade, both semi-autobiographical novels of racism in Los Angeles during World War II. If He Hollers is considered to be a classic of Los Angeles fiction--a great look at life in wartime LA, and a antidote to the thinking that World War II was a time of great unity in America.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Dynamite
Member # 1449

- posted      Profile for Kid Dynamite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie Huston was mentioned at the start of this thread. I haven't read his straight crime stuff yet, but anyone who likes tough, laconic crime fiction should check out his Joe Pitt novels. Brutality, cynicism, so many double crosses that the plotline resembles a mobius strip and a world weary anti-hero who takes more than his fair share of beatings - all this with the added bonus the most of the characters are vampires.

Excellent stuff, and a welcome antidote to all the horrible female-vampire-hunter series that dominate most bookshop horror sections.

Posts: 226 | From: The Triple Rock Social Club | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erwin
Member # 403

- posted      Profile for erwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently read 'The Lady in the Lake' by Chandler. Good read .... but a bit 'style (what style, though!) over substance' (maybe that's the nature of Chandler).

On a roll, I ploughed into Dashiell Hammett's 'The Glass Key', which is terrific on police and political corruption ... and surely a template for the Coens' 'Miller's Crossing' (now there's a sublime film).

I have in mind an excellent ... I think McBain ... wherein nothing happens except a policeman loses a citizen's dog ... and his life falls apart. (Anyone give me the title of that one?)

I'll second the nod to Mark Billingham's Tom Thorne series. Well drawn character ... kind of 'Sweeny' ... not sure why that hasn't been taken up by telly/cinema.

Posts: 3378 | From: just this side of beyond all hope | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who have read Robert B Parker and Lee Child, who would win a fight between Spencer and Reacher.

My missus reckons Reacher. Big, tough, military training.

I'm veering toward Spencer, might be a bit older, but he's unconventional, his imagination would take Reacher down.

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
erwin, Billingham was interviewed on the Book Show last week and they were saying Thorne is going to be on the TV. He had a first choice for who he wanted to play him - and I've forgotten who it was.

I found the latest one in a sale so I'm looking forward to that.

Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chippy
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Chippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly, nearly finished Christopher Brookmyre's The Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks. As usual very enjoyable, and back on familiar territory after a A Tale Etched in....

Possibly his best yet, but maybe also a touch of familiarity getting in the way.

Posts: 3563 | From: Standlake | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not read that one yet Chippy. Mixed reviews on Amazon, but I won't let that put me off.

Question is, do I buy online or trek down town to Waterstones?

Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chippy
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Chippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am one stamp away from a 15 borders token. So maybe you could buy it in borders.

I think it is still in hardback, but I got it with a 4 discount so only 12.

I'll be in town at lunchtime, so can tell you how much it is going to cost you.

The paperback isn't due until June.

Posts: 3563 | From: Standlake | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chippy
Member # 23

Sorry to say that both Borders and Waterstones have it back to the full price of 16.99.

Do you want to borrow my copy?

boris
Member # 80

If I could that would be smart. I'm off next week looking after the kids for half term, so I could possibly meet you down town one lunchtime.

Alternatively, why don't you wend your way to the game this Saturday and give yourself a real treat!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC