This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Crime Fiction (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Crime Fiction
Chippy
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Chippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got your reply

Can you PM me your address and I'll post it to you. Unless you reckon you might be in the Bristol IKEA on Sunday...

Posts: 3563 | From: Standlake | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Payne.
Member # 1428

- posted      Profile for Max Payne.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Charlie Huston was mentioned at the start of this thread. I haven't read his straight crime stuff yet, but anyone who likes tough, laconic crime fiction should check out his Joe Pitt novels. Brutality, cynicism, so many double crosses that the plotline resembles a mobius strip and a world weary anti-hero who takes more than his fair share of beatings - all this with the added bonus the most of the characters are vampires.

Excellent stuff, and a welcome antidote to all the horrible female-vampire-hunter series that dominate most bookshop horror sections.

Hell yes. Half the Blood Of Brooklyn was one flat out mother of a read. Recommended highly.
Posts: 958 | From: Exeter, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The weekend before last I got to spend half an hour browsing downstairs in "Murder One". I love trying to find a new author with a few titles I can get stuck into.

I realised I have a criteria for trying to find new crime fiction.

1. The size of the book should be a bit smaller than A5, and should ideally be no thinker than 3/4 of an inch.

2. There should be some mention of wise-cracking, or hard-boiled somewhere on the cover.

3. There should be at least 6 books with the same character.

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No mention of Wilkie Collins?
Is there a better crime novel than The Moonstone?

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a really weird question. Depends what you want from a crime novel. it's too broad a category.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jts: Six!. Which rules out Raymond Chandler (6 inc "payback" iirc) and Elmore Leonard!.
My wisecracking crim series has three already sketched out and the first half written. Dont hold your breath.

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a wise-cracking cop in downtown Southwick, Al?
Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Downtown Southwick! I cant imagine anything ever happening irl or fiction happening in "Suddick" as its known by the locals that would interest the few locals capable of reading. An atom bomb would cause a couple of hundred quids worth of damage there.
Its actually set in London with occasional visits to the NE shoehorned in to allow (research) trips back home to be tax deductable!. No drives over the Tyne Bridge included.
My local in Sunderland used to run a "sweep" for the first shot of the Tyne Bridge on every Spender episode.

[ 21.02.2008, 00:59: Message edited by: Alania Vladikavkaz. ]

Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendy
Member # 81

- posted      Profile for Wendy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See if you can find any James Hadley Chase - I read him many years ago and found his books hard to put down. Not seen any in a long time though.
Posts: 46 | From: Kuala Lumpur | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JtS
Member # 68

- posted      Profile for JtS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone picked up any Hard Case Crime books?

http://www.hardcasecrime.com/books_bios.cgi

Great pulp crime fiction, superb covers. I read Lawrence Block's The Girl with the Long Green Heart, it was aces!

Hayden and Rance had a scheme to bilk a wealthy entrepreneur out of a fortune, but they needed a girl on the inside to make it work. Enter Evelyn Stone, an amateur with the soul of a grifter...

Posts: 7076 | From: The North London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently really enjoying Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union, a slight spin on the hard-boiled detective tale. It's got the usual ingredients - alcoholic copper laden with problems, ex-wife takes over as police chief, a recent murder victim linked somehow to smack and chess.

The twist is that they're all Jewish, in an Alaskan enclave about to revert to US governance (following sixty years as the Jewish homeland after the defeat of Israel). The race against time is to clean up all outstanding murders to present a successful bill of health to the incoming US Marshals.

[ 18.03.2008, 08:52: Message edited by: Crusoe ]

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuzzy Dunlop
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Fuzzy Dunlop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warren Ellis - Crooked Little Vein

You've got to love a private detective novel whose opening paragraph starts with:

'I opened my eyes to see the rat taking a piss in my coffee mug.'

and closes with:

'I nailed it across the eyes once with a lucky shot with the butt of my gun, but it got up again and shat in my telephone.'

'Shit magnet' PI and 'unluckiest bastard you ever met', Mike McGill, is hired by a smack-addicted Presidential chief of staff to track down the Secret Constitution. This long-lost document, 'reputedly bound in the skin of an extraterrestrial entity that plagued Benjamin Franklin's ass over six nights in Paris', has the power to rid the US of all the immorality the country is wallowing in.

Tantric sex with ostriches, testicular saline infusion fetishists, Godzilla bukkake*, coke-frenzied insane Texan oil magnates, and a Vegas hotel shaped like a giant statue of Jesus dressed as Uncle Sam...What's not to like?

My only complaint is that it's too short.

Next up: the 'heavy metal noir' of The Drummer by Anthony Neil Smith.

*I'm not really sure what bukakke is. I do know that it isn't something I should google.

Posts: 564 | From: a vulture distracted by donkeys. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kuhisek
Member # 1762

- posted      Profile for kuhisek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read them all except the new one 'Foreign Correspondent.'

Have you read that yet, Felicity? If not, PM me if you want it. I owe you a book.

Posts: 944 | From: the gutter, staring at the tsars | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

The Yiddish Policemans Union is a good un. As I think I mentioned upthread somewhere.

The ending to my first "wisecracking" hero novel came to me in a flash tonight as my tube pulled into Finsbury Park station! Turns out Ive been overplotting it for the last two years...

Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, so you did Alania V. S., I missed your post.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC