This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Is this the best book of the last 50 years? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Is this the best book of the last 50 years?
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mafu: Tommy Lee Jones reportedly has the rights to film Blood Meridian.
Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mafu
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for mafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks. was thinking about this the other day - your big problem would be who to cast as the judge
Posts: 255 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Devoured this in one go yesterday, absolutely draining and utterly brilliant at the same time. Not being a parent I've never fully appreciated the loyalty and protectiveness it inspires, but this is as close as I've ever got. Thanks for the recommendation, Pants.

quote:
that there was so little description of the nature of the apocalypse that had led to present situation. I didn't think the reader could properly contextualise the decision to head for the coast without it.
SPOILERS

Some kind of nuclear war, wasn't it? There are hints - in a flashback the clocks all stop, then there's a flash and distant tremors. There's ash everywhere, people wear facemasks, the father's ailment, the corpses melted into the road because "everything was on fire".

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I read all but the last few pages on the plane up to Cairns and then finished it on a 'toilet break' the next morning. I stumbled out of the toilet sobbing and trying to explain why to my concerned wife.

I have never been so emotionally affected by a book in my life. The tension just builds up from page 1 and explodes at the end, but McCarthy does it in such an amazingly simplistic way (not sure whether this makes sense; I'm not used to writing about books). Brilliant.

One of the many things that made this book so special is that there is very little, if any, description of the many horrible things that happened before or happen during the journey. They're mentioned almost in passing, yet in the mind of this reader there were such strong images.

I then bought "No Country For Old Men" at the airport today and read it whilst waiting (for 2.5 hours) for our flight back and then on the plane. Finished it as we touched down in Sydney. Not quite as good as 'The Road', but still a fantastic read. When I got home this evening, saw an ad for the film of the book. I must see this soon.

Thank you so much, Pants.

[ 21.01.2008, 12:17: Message edited by: Willie1Foot ]

Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having read everyone's comments, I think I'm actually too scared to read the book. The prospect of doing so is provoking an unpleasant feeling of anxiety.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the big-ups, people. I've always wanted to 'do a Hofzinser'.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mafu
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for mafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS

i assumed nuclear war, but it could also have been an asteroid/comet strike i guess. though i dont think it matters too much

Posts: 255 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Having read everyone's comments, I think I'm actually too scared to read the book. The prospect of doing so is provoking an unpleasant feeling of anxiety.
My thoughts exactly , especially as (like some people mentioned upthread) I am bad with descriptions of children suffering.

However, after a slight spoiler check with PBF on the way to Saturday's game I am going to take the plunge.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like a lot of you, I also read this in one day. It evoked many of the same feelings in me, and I can do nothing but echo the sentiments above.

**SPOILER**

One nagging problem I have with the book (which I think is a consistent problem when non-genre writers who write within a sci-fi theme) is that it's hard to conceive of a catastrophe that would destroy all life on the planet except for man.

It's fine that the disaster is unexplained; though it's certainly intended to be a nuclear war, it's just impossible to see how it might have this outcome.

Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belhaven
Member # 426

- posted      Profile for Belhaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not manage to read the book in one go. Not that I think it mattered anyway.

Haven't got much to add to what's been said up-thread. Great book.

Posts: 966 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also failed to read it in one sitting, though that's more down to my attention span than the quality of the book. Really good stuff.

It actually took me a few goes to start it properly - McCarthy just has too big a god-damn vocabulary, and I had trouble picturing what was happening to begin with. As with Blood Meridian though, once I got used to it, and stopped trying to decipher every last word, it began to flow nicely and I got swept up in to the characters' world.

I find it hard to imagine exactly how the film's going to work, though.

Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VTTBoscombe
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for VTTBoscombe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm, well finished it, and I must admit not a cheery read, and I deliberately kept putting it down, due to alarming images and well, I suppose fear as to the next page.
Being a dad to three sons didn't help, as I kept imaging how I would cope, and how they would cope to in this nightmare world.

I very thought provoking; but I can't say very enjoyable experience.

The guy can write well, except for one thing which made the reading experience to me a chore at times.

No speech quotes - each conversation was like a shopping list - reminded me of French writing, you really had to double take sometimes to see who said what - is this his usual style?

I had a copy of the US version (odd people Amazon.fr)so the font style/size and layout , coupled with this conversation style, didn't do anything positive; but I am a traditional "Janet and John" reader me.
So yes, a substantial book - but there is something too dreary about it to make me hail it a classic.

Posts: 1047 | From: La Côte du Rhin | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No speech quotes - each conversation was like a shopping list - reminded me of French writing, you really had to double take sometimes to see who said what - is this his usual style?
Speech quotes seem quite rare to me in modern fiction. Or perhaps it's just those books I read! Makes one wonder why they hammered them down our throats at school...
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're very cumbersome in dialogue-heavy fiction. On the other hand, unless the fiction is dialogue heavy, so you tune your "inner ear" into its rhythms, marking speech with a "-" or whatever is awkward, because it's much less obvious what is speech and what is narrative. And many authors will want to blur the boundaries between those.

Horses for courses, innit?

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The absence of speech quotes annoys me as well.

Got this book about a month ago, read the first half in one sitting . . . and while impressed with it and occasionally chilled by it, I have no real urge to read the rest. I don't exactly know why.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC