This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Is this the best book of the last 50 years? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Is this the best book of the last 50 years?
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've really got ot be able to tune into the prose. I don't imagine your job helps, Lt., and mine certainly doesn't.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually - seemingly wrongly, it would appear - thought the absence of speech quotes was a literary device used by the writer - the sparseness of the punctuation and the prose echoing the sparseness of the landscape the characters found themselves in.
Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belhaven
Member # 426

- posted      Profile for Belhaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also read it like that, Hofzinser.
Posts: 966 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you know, style and content should be fairly seamless - that's the mark of a great (post/)modern writer. You pick the techniques that best suit the work, I don't think there's any real contradiction here.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
What's the rumpus?
Member # 752

- posted      Profile for What's the rumpus?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also felt compelled to read this in one day but the emotional wallop others have described never arrived for me.

McCarthy's simple prose does provoke. The idea that language dies almost as quickly as the reality it describes is a brilliant one.

The details of the apocalypse back story are irrevelant beyond those that are skilfully sketched in but the pared to the bone story does lose something.

All The Pretty Horses and the film of No Country For Old Men are all about hard-earned humanity and I felt that with this book McCarthy assumed this message would arise out of the story rather than delivering it.

The use of dialogue alone to convey very complex transactions reminded me of the bits of Faulkner I've read. What it does is flatter the reader by deferring to her recreation of the back and forth.

It also demands that the dialogue be consistent in tone and I didn't think that happened.

Maybe I've missed something, a great deal according to some of you, and maybe I'll read it again but for now file me under disappointed.

Posts: 907 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
File me under dissappointed too. Not because I've read it, just that I went into Foyles last night and they didn't have it.

May as well have gone to bloody Waterstones.

Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S. aureus
Member # 949

- posted      Profile for S. aureus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seemed to me an extremely accomplished book, but the unremitting grimness overwhelmed me. I don't think I have the stomach to re-read it, but it was thought provoking.
It probably didn't help that I started it while on vacation in Hawaii, and finished it on the plane back.

Posts: 2324 | From: Pharmageddon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC