This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » Christmas Books (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Christmas Books
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Not quite, for a couple of basically trivial reasons, as fantastic a read as 'This Is Uncool', the author's list of his favuorite 500 post-punk/disco singles, but defintely a publication that shouldn't be missed.

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GO, I know yer daft bugger, but that book has the same selection of walks than those shown on that TV series with that bearded bloke living in the Lake District.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jon/juan
Member # 1057

- posted      Profile for jon/juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a present for me. Rather a present for me sister that I'm trying desperately to finish it before she comes to visit this weekend.

David Sedaris 'Dress your family in Corduroy and Denim'.

Excellent. Very funny. Never heard of him before. Thanks sis.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
j/j, if you like that, you'll like Sedaris' other stuff. Naked made him famous, and it's funny like Dress Your Family, but it's more of an autobiography of his childhood and young adult years. Me Talk Pretty One Day is also good.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jon/juan
Member # 1057

- posted      Profile for jon/juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Inca. Will investigate further after I finish this one. Can't believe I'd never heard of him until my sister asked for this book as a present.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you like reading Sedaris, j/j, I suspect you will really enjoy hearing him. He is fantastic reading his own stuff:

http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/lists/sedaris/

There's also lots of stuff at www.thislife.org (search for his name) and on the various video sites.

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Steep Approach to Garbadaleby Iain Banks.
Some decent writing, but he's basically fused the plots of The Crow Road and The Business which suggests his imagination is getting a little tired.

Just read this one. A pretty good read I thought but agree that Banks' imgaination might be getting a bit tired. I got a bit bored of hearing of Alban's political opinions (another common Banks theme) and I thought the boat scene was a bit signposted.

I'd have liked it more if more bits were written from other viewpoints; the first chapter was from Fielding's point of view which I'd have liked to have heard more from.

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC