This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Books » White Heat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: White Heat
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just finished "White Heat: A History of Britain in the Swinging Sixties (1964-1970)" by Dominic Sandbrook.

It's a decent attempt to cover an entire era, but does suffer from some occasionally appalling writing. The bits about the political machinations are fascinating - I previously knew bugger all about the period - but when he starts on music and fashion it reads like one of my old university essays; lots of anecdotes and an infuriating overuse of "as we shall see".

Are there any other particularly good (and accessible; I read this stuff on the way to and from work, when I'm not at my most, er, mentally agile) books on British culture and politics in the 1960s?

Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange thing about Sandbrook is that he is very young - only in his mid-30s. But pretty good on his cross-referencing. The predecessor to this is very decent as well. Generally, his thesis is that most ordinary people didn't move at the "swinging" pace that some whistlestop popular histories pretend they did.
Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely liked that general theme of "not everyone was swinging" but elsewhere he did seem to hop between received wisdom / opposing view / "ah, but there was a grain of truth to the received wisdom" in each chapter. Maybe it was inevitable with the scope he was covering and the resulting lightness of detail, but at times he seemed to be trying to hard not to actually reach a conclusion one way or the other.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC