This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Euro 2004 » Denmark vs Sweden (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Denmark vs Sweden
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The beautiful irony is that Italy did score as many as they always want: namely one more than the opposition. The bare minimum required to win a game.

When will the stupid fuckers ever learn?

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Lukic was a left-back. Has he not played there for Sweden in the past, or is that my mind playing tricks on me?

Källström didn't do very much, did he. Do you reckon Anders Svensson is back in the frame?

And surely Chippen Willhelmson did his chances no harm when he came on and set up the equalizer. Mattias Jonsson was largely anonymous up until he scored.

Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stefan
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for stefan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I guess Lucic can play either side, after all it doesn't matter for a player with two left feet.

Very many Swedish players were poor last night. Källström, Nilsson, Andersson, Jakobsson. I thought Jonsson were among the better.

[ 23-06-2004, 10:42: Message edited by: stefan ]

Posts: 1181 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
G-Man, no foul play accused in SA-Zim. Neil Johnson played a good innings. Saved us the bother of getting humiliated in the Super Six where we'd have started with no points and no doubt then have lost to Australia, Pakistan and probably New Zealand as well.. Had we batted with any urgency against Zim and Kenya then we'd have got through.

Now Pakistan-Bangladesh was considered a bit more suspicious, though the history of the 2 countries doesn't suggest over-friendliness.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently if three teams a relevel on points it goes head to head, then goal difference in the matches where they played each other. Odd, but there you go.
Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Learn what? That most big teams often win by a margin of one goal and sometimes they dont'?

You working on your Barry Davies parody?

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The beautiful irony is that Italy did score as many as they always want: namely one more than the opposition. The bare minimum required to win a game.

Not sure where this theory that Italy were negative throughout their matches has come from.

Granted they didn't score enough goals, but judging from what I've seen of them this tournament it wasn't throu7gh lack of positive play or creating chances.

If they'd had a striker who could actually head the ball into the net from easy chances (i.e. anybody but Vieri) up front, they'd have been through. Easily.

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just seen the Sweden - Denmark match and I wasn't too impressed. Sure, lot's of goals, but it was fairly crap. The Italy - Bulgaria match, the one I chose to watch last night, is up there with the Netherlands against the Czechs as one of the best matches of the tournament. Sure, you can say, "Italy only won by one goal as usual," but they were really going for it. They were playing with three strikers for the last half hour.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When will they ever learn that of late they have an abysmal record of hanging on to one goal leads?

When will they ever learn that if they are demonstrably on top in a game against quality opponents and they get a goal they should exploit their superiority and try to get a second goal (or, whisper it, a third) before taking off their most potent attacking players?

When will they ever learn that Cristian Vieri is fucking useless?

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray Mexted
Member # 707

- posted      Profile for Murray Mexted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Italy - Bulgaria match, the one I chose to watch last night, is up there with the Netherlands against the Czechs as one of the best matches of the tournament.

It was certainly dramatic stuff. But in terms of the technical standard of football being played, it wasn't great. Loads of misplaced passes and some very lumpen forward play by Italy.

Posts: 8483 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea of Barry Davies saying "when will these stupid fuckers even learn" is simply hilarious.

[ 23-06-2004, 13:16: Message edited by: Diggedy Derek ]

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The official UEFA statistics show just now negative Italy are compared to positive teams such as, say, England:

England
Total shots: 39
On Target: 25
Corners : 8

Italy
Total shots: 56
On Target: 26
Corners : 21

Doesn't present Italy as particularly negative. Just worse at shooting.

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah come off it Jimsky, don't let facts get into the way of an opinion...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jimski is Gerard Houllier and I claim my ten Euros.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

Nah, I'm merely trying to rid us of these tiresome stereotypes such as that Italy played so negatively. In the two matches I saw they didn't particularly, well no more than other teams.

But it's "what they do" and it's what commentators say they do, and so everybody blithely repeats it as fact.

Reminds me of "naive African defending" and all that crap.

[ 23-06-2004, 13:54: Message edited by: Jimski ]

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC