This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Euro 2004 » Denmark vs Sweden (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Denmark vs Sweden
Logan Mountstuart the 3rd
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Logan Mountstuart the 3rd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. 2-2 eliminated Italy even if Italy had won 6-0.

The thing is, anyone who was emotionally comitted to Italy, and wanted them to win, would naturally have watched their game in it's entirety. So without seeing the Sweden - Denmark game in full it's normal that they would be suspicious.

I saw the whole Scandanavian match and there is no way that it could have been fixed. I reckon there will be a lot of hoo - ha for a few hours, but once Italians have actually really studied the game they'll accept it.

Posts: 1774 | From: a sea of lactic acid | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's happened on plenty of occasions, I expect, AITL. Are the Italians going to imply there's some moral imperative to attack recklessly in that situation? From a team who try to eliminate risk at all costs, that might be a bit rich. Of course, they didn't eliminate risk at all by being so defensive. They left themselves open to exactly what happened.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
piss-poor northern irish team, fueled by the most hate filled and bigotted crowd since that dinamo zagreb, red star belgrade
Complete rubbish Colm. I've seen more hate-filled crowds at Shelbourne games. NI got 18 points from 12 matches in that series. Piss poor my arse.

Bingham encouraged our fans to get behind the team. That shitehawk Wor Jack (who played IRA songs on your team coach and then boasted about it in his autobiog) tried to get the match moved to give your lot an advantage, the cheating cnut. Grrr!

Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
got it now, thanks!
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Northern Ireland tried to stop Ireland by beating them?
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
all those 22:10 posts...I was just trying to point out that 2-2 or 1-1 doesn't make a difference since at 1-1 Italy would have had to win by 2...

Eh, screw it, it's too confusing to explain.

Italy gets what they asked for, Denmark and Sweden go through, and Spain only had to wait 1 extra day before something overshadowed their exit.

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Denmark would have to be stupid to let Sweden take first place in the group - if they win they face the rubbish Germany or possibly the slight less rubbish Holland in the quarters. By conceding a late goal they force themselves to face Nedved and co.

If it had been the other way around (Sweden conceding late equaliser - thus not altering the group table) I could have seen it.

Unless of course that was the cunning plan all along... Oh, now I see it. That's dastardly.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you are onto something there ad hoc...
Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imp
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for imp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus, how did this thread manage to get on to Ireland? Because there were no Man United players in Denmark v Sweden?

I don't care if Denmark v Sweden was fixed, because if Italy complain about a fixed match then all we can do is laugh as loudly as we did when they complained about the ref in South Korea. Or about their rough socks after the Denmark game. Ciao ciao, now.

Good game, fixed or not.

Posts: 4427 | From: such great heights | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's really pleasing to see is that the defensive and negative tactics adopted by a number of the coaches are being punished wheras the teams that have really gone for it are going through. This is a great tournament with the best excitment and standard of footbal for years.

Who gives a fuck if some of the defendings a bit flaky.

Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AITL - And earlier didn't the Dutch goalie make a balls of a shot and sweep the ball to Niall Quinn to score for the 1-1? Always thought that was a bit suspicious. Not that I minded of course.

Ad hoc's point applies here as well. It made no sense for holland to let Ireland draw with them. At the Time they were tying with England for top spot in the group, which meant that they would have played either Belgium or romania. By drawing with ireland they were faced with a toss of the coin between romania, and west Germany.

It wasn't a shot either, it was a dreadful volleyed back pass, by Berry van aerle that the keeper tried to stop going into the bottom corner. Afterwards, Ireland and holland knew that at 1-1, both were assured to go through, but one goal would put either out.

The difference between Ireland and this game is that the ireland holland game truce went on for 10 minutes.

DG, if you think that there was no sectarian malice in a game played between the north and Ireland, five days after some horrible attrocity, (Greysteel?) then you are engaging in revisionism that david irving (without all the negative nazi connotations etc) would be proud of.

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan Mountstuart the 3rd
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Logan Mountstuart the 3rd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
all those 22:10 posts...I was just trying to point out that 2-2 or 1-1 doesn't make a difference since at 1-1 Italy would have had to win by 2...

You don't think you can shrug so many pedants off that easily do you attj?

At 1-1, Italy could still hope, at 2-2 their own result against Bulgaria became irrelevant.

Italy 0 Denmark 0
Italy 1 Sweden 1
Sweden 2 Denmark 2.

This triangle overides all other scores. I'm so sick of explaining this to people that I've started getting really pissed off when people don't get it. Please don't query this or I'll sue you for Sanatorium costs.

Posts: 1774 | From: a sea of lactic acid | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus, how did this thread manage to get on to Ireland?

Because Ireland and holland spent up to fifteen minutes not venturing into each other's halves at italia 90, like injury time between denmark and sweden. Now go back to sleep.

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

We understood, attj. We were just trying to explain to you that due to the arcane rules of this torunament, what you have been saying is factually wrong. Denmark 2-2 Sweden qualified both countries, regardless of the amount of goals Italy beat Bulgaria by.
Even if it had finished Italy 4-1 Bulgaria, Italy would still have been out, despite their GD being +3 to Denmark's +2, as overall group goal difference is quite low down the list of priorities.

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It got onto Ireland because AIATL quoted Brady crying fix into his Perroni, and I couldn't resist a pop at Eamonn.

Revisionist, AIATL? Don't be silly. There have been thousands of atrocities in NI over the years and this one's effect on a mere football match is exaggerated.

And remember your team is not 'Ireland'. You may call yourselves Southern Ireland. Once you've kicked out all the Englishmen, obviously [Wink]

Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC