This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Euro 2004 » Denmark vs Sweden (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Denmark vs Sweden
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You think this is suspicious? England went out of the 1999 Cricket World Cup because the previously unstoppable and already through South Africa lost badly against Zimbabwe. I didn't hear any mention of fixing there.
Shocking, scandalous allegation there, 14th Seamer. You forget that South Africa's captain at the time was that well-known paragon of virtue Hansie CronjÚ. What exactly are you tring to suggest here, 14th?

As for S°rensen's clanger: surely a goalkeeper is liable to spill an unfamiliar ball, especially in wet weather?

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macocha europy
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for macocha europy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So out of these two Denmark are the better side, which potentially will make their match against the Czechs a joy to behold. Then again you have Sweden slugging it out - probably - with Germany.
Posts: 7953 | From: Tank Meadow, Munich North | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dare you to stare long and hard at the grave, reach out, shake hands and announce "Looks like it'll turn later, we'll have a bat."

BTW, if anyone has left a cricket bat there as a tribute, nick it for Wyatt will you?

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and the total number of catholics in the stadium between players, journos, and fans numbered less than 30
Aye, all the Republic's fans there were Elim Pentecostalists. You don't support your point by padding it out with inanities like this.

quote:
that is like suggesting that the Dinamo zagreb-red star game (where boban kicked a riot policeman) just before the break up of yugoslavia
But of course it's totally unlike that parallel. The Republic of Ireland wasn't exactly at war with NI, and unlike Boban none of the players assaulted spectators, Police or as far as I could see anyone but each other. You are extrapolating massively from nothing more than a tense atmosphere (which would have been there even without the pub and fishmonger bombings), and a spat between the two managers hugely exaggerated by Dunphy.

I watched it on TV.

EFS: Aye, I'll be at Beckenham if this torrential rain stops! Meet you before the game?

Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen very little evidence of that "conspiracy theory excuse" in the Italian media this morning, la Gazzetta says this was a good game, played with a lot of passion and the result was not fixed, how could it be. They castigate Italy for indulging in too many calculations and "dietrologie" - a funny word meaning litterally "behindogy" aka looking for conspiracies.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stefan
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for stefan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few comments:

Not much point in talking about the actual game, since as has been proven conclusively here it was a fix.

About the QF opposition, Latvia beat Sweden in the qualifiers, Holland have the potential to improve. I know who I want to play.

Sweden will have serious fullback problem in the QF. Not only has Mikael Nilsson proved inadequate, Erik Edman will be suspended following what was quite frankly the worst refereeing decision of the tournament(*). He stood in the way of a pass from Gr÷nkjaer who crashed into him from 5 yards. When the ref blew his whistle I was screaming at him for not letting Sweden play the advantage. Now Sweden will need to continue with Nilsson and bring on Ístlund or Wahlstedt, who have something like 35 minutes international experience between them. And I will not say it. I will not say it, you hear me.

I thought the tournament was already devalued on account of the Greatest Team in the World not participating?

(*) Obviously Larsson's dive or erronoues offside calls are examples of bad decisions that have more impact on a game. But those are difficult to decide and often you need replays from different angles to see what really happened. You don't need a replay to judge the Edman incident.

[ 23-06-2004, 08:46: Message edited by: stefan ]

Posts: 1181 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
and I am the life
Member # 227

- posted      Profile for and I am the life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think that there would be much conspiracy shite in the papers. It was an absolutely cracking match.

ok dg, it was a perfectly normal and friendly match between two neighbouring countries.

Posts: 19996 | From: the crespo of a wave | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it was a tense atmosphere (which would have been there even without the pub and fishmonger bombings). Hardly the assassination of Franz Ferdinand.
Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macocha europy
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for macocha europy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
which happened to have occurred almost exactly 90 years ago
Posts: 7953 | From: Tank Meadow, Munich North | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chopped Up Man
Member # 353

- posted      Profile for Chopped Up Man         Edit/Delete Post 
Italy have nothing to complain about, they were third best, even on good old fashioned goal difference. If there was a Pepsi football test with all the players playing in plain shirts and masks we'd all be going on about how Denmark or Sweden or the Czechs were going to win the tournament.
Posts: 756 | From: Semi-Essex | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think good old fashioned goal difference as the primary separator of teams level on points would have allowed Sweden and Denmark to not fight out a 0-0 draw.
Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stefan
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for stefan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good old fashioned goal difference would have allowed Italy to secure qualification with a three goal victory.
Posts: 1181 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Otto Katz
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Otto Katz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, before I get to the football I have to comment on the picture at the bottom of page 1 of this thread (Aqua?). Look at that guy between the Spearmint Rhino impersonator and the girl. He's showing off his tattoo, giving us his war face, and it's the spindliest looking shoulder I've seen in my life. Is he trying to look Hard? Scary? Shocking? That is absolutely fvucking hillarious.

Do we have a thread for unintentionally funny rock n'roll poses?

On to the footie and I must say the first half was pretty poor, especially from Sweden's point of view. I thought Denmark played very well in the second half. They have a very balanced side and use the flanks to great effect. They spread the ball exceptionally well from side to side and stretch the opposition. Jesper Gr°nkjŠr was repeatedly taking the piss last night. How many times did he get past his man and deliver a cross/shot? I'm not sure how much Birmingham are paying for his services, but this certainly looks a shrewd purchase by Steve Bruce.

I favoured Sweden as dark horses for this tournament, but I may have to throw my lot in with my Danish chums instead. The QF matchup with the Czechs looks very tasty indeed.

Stefan, don't worry. Teddy Lukic will probably be fine for the QF and play the game of his life. I know you don't rate him at all, but if I were you I'd be more worried about Mikael Nilsson on the other side of the defence. Is there really no other alternative? He must be dizzy after being taken to the cleaners so many times these last two games.

Anyhow, you'll have Tobias Linderoth back for the QF. I think his importance to the team was highlighted last night by the huge gaps in midfield left by his absence.

Posts: 2909 | From: the examining of the entrails of sacrificial geese | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stefan
Member # 157

Spot on about Linderoth. A perfect example of a very limited player still being very useful when played to his strength.

Lucic and Nilsson play on the same side actually. I won't back down on my opinion on Lucic, but I'm sure as hell not very confident with what we have instead. Imagine what Robben could do here.

On second thoughts, perhaps it's better we get Latvia in the QF. They dont really have wingers do they?

[ 23-06-2004, 09:55: Message edited by: stefan ]

Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On ITV, they kept on saying that if it was 2-2 or above, Italy could score as many as they wanted, they were out. Have I missed something or did they?
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC