This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Euro 2004 » Ottmar says no (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ottmar says no
Murray Mexted
Member # 707

- posted      Profile for Murray Mexted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sammer?
Posts: 8483 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Houllier.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it de rigeur to offer up the name of Phillipe Troussier whenever any international coaching job comes up, especially among the weaker nations?
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would Daum be acceptable after that whole cocaine scandal from a few years ago?
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha, there's a bloke called Ede Geyer.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not pronounced "gayer".
Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deep down, Ottmar knows he just doesn't have the proper kitchen skills to be the next Mannschaft Teamchef.

Wenger is reportedly an oenophile, is he being considered as Teamsommelier?

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macocha europy
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for macocha europy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jefe
Probably not, but try tell this to Mayer-Vorfelder.

Posts: 7953 | From: Tank Meadow, Munich North | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Deep down, Ottmar knows he just doesn't have the proper kitchen skills to be the next Mannschaft Teamchef.

Wenger is reportedly an oenophile, is he being considered as Teamsommelier?

What does all that mean? Has Wegner got some strange sexual perversion which precludes him from coaching a national side?
Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macocha europy
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for macocha europy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's quite telling for the state of British savoir vivre that they fenced in the meaning of the French "chef" for kitchen use only. Of of the French leadership in all other areas.

[ 02-07-2004, 07:57: Message edited by: no idea how to technocize abedi ]

Posts: 7953 | From: Tank Meadow, Munich North | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually just as much of a French take on the term "chef". While it indeed means "leader", it specifically designates the chef de cuisine when formally used as a title, as was the case in the German chart posted here. In other words, the title of chef is also fenced in in formal French.

PS: is there an actual English term for "savoir vivre"?

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macocha europy
Member # 31

Well it's not really fenced in in French, is it. According to my memory, it also has professional and expecially military meanings. A chef d'atelier, a chef d'equipe or a chef d'entreprise have nothing to do with cooking.

It seems to me like something you English had to learn when the Normans came. You had your swine, but the French gave you pork. You had your cows, but the French gave you beef, you had your kitchen, but the French gave you the chefs.

[ 02-07-2004, 08:50: Message edited by: no idea how to technocize abedi ]

G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't checked my ID batteries for a while, but for what it's worth: chef = chief = boss = supervisor.

In any case, the next German coach will probably have the qualifications to be titled "Bundestrainer", instead of the deignation "Teamchef" which was invented specifically for Tante Käthe.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

The chart did not say "teamchefd'atelier" or "teamchefd'entreprise", it said teamchef, which comes across as "team cook". "Chef" does mean boss, but this particular meaning it is a bit too casual to be used in formal way. "Directeur" or "président" would be far more likely to be used in that context. "Chef de cuisine" is the most direct interpretation of "chef".

Take it from a native French speaker, as opposed to a dictionnary, which won't convey the nuances of the language.

PS: i am sure that your French is much better than my German

-

macocha europy
Member # 31

see?

It's not a battle of the cooks, for all I remember

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC