This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Euro 2004 » The Final: Portugal v Greece (Page 17)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: The Final: Portugal v Greece
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erm, basically every system is there to be beat, is what i'm saying.

Just imagine what football was like before 1954 when Hungary invented the deep lying centre-forward - imagine how boring as fuck it must have been.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the whole thing - particularly the closing shots of merk piggybacking around on rehhagel in front of the celebrating greek fans - left a bad taste in the mouth.
I didn't see that. If he really did that, it is extremely injudicious and certainly something UEFA should investigate.

It would not, however, detract from the fact that Merk gave a flawless performance, in which made no notable error (and got a few marginal decisions spot on). So it really is silly to go on about the 30 seconds as evidence of Merk's bias, or even to suggest that blowing up 30 seconds earlier than he might have could give an appearance of bias. Seems to me that you're clutching on straw there, rou (with the caveat as outlined in my first paragraph).

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
poor nuno should have been given a go yesterday. who would have thought that useless bastard pauleta had it in him to create such an immaculate record of failure.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're both midfielders though, aren't they rou? Gomez and Pauletta? Their first impulse outside teh box is to look for someone to pass too? D'ye know what I mean.

I like them both, but I wouldn't call either of 'em strikers.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'd say pauleta is a striker but he's used to playing in a 4-4-2. he's a bit like robbie fowler i think, but not as talented. usually he is quite a good header of the ball, though you wouldn't have noticed over the last few weeks.

nuno gomes is more of a team player who likes to drop deep and lay the ball off. the big difference between him and pauleta is that he's shown he is mentally capable of scoring goals for portugal in the european championships (5 goals in 6 and a half games?) and pauleta hasn't. i guess scolari would have put gomes on if he hadn't had to use his first substitution in the first half, even still i think he fucked up by not getting him on there.

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

Yeah, i'd have stated with Gomez too, I think mainly 'cause it's the last time that generation of players will play together. They'd have had an edge that the younger up-and-coming lot wouldn't have had.

I was suprised how truly shit Deco was throughout that match. He looked a handily creative player in the few matches i'd seen before, completely bleeding clueless last night though. Why did he keep having shots from about 40 yards for? Figo should have sorted him out.

Mind you, he'd have probably told Figo to fuck off.

The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Postiga should have started every one of their games.

Edit: And Deco was superb yesterday, I thought. For the reasons given on the previous page. Best player on the pitch, some awful frees aside.

[ 05-07-2004, 15:23: Message edited by: torodopoulos torodopoulos ]

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oh, la technique
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for oh, la technique     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toro, just because he was "probing and prompting" all through the match, doesn't mean he was any good. I mean, I could have come on for Portugal yesterday and probed and prompted all day long, but, like Deco, would probably have given the ball away a lot. Actually, come to think of it, I'd be rather disappointed if I gave the ball away as much as Deco did yesterday. He was atrocious by his standards. Useless free kicks, giving the ball away, too easily hustled out of possession. His dribbling was terrible and it was only magnified by his lack of pace. I'd say the Greeks were loving it every time he got the ball, taking it in turns to dispossess him. Pipe and slippers as TG says.

Rui Costa was much better and at least caused the Greeks some problems with his pacy dribbling and direct approach. Sure, he had a couple of long shots that didn't quite come off but he had no other options. Passing to Pauleta and Deco last night was like handing the ball back to Greece.

Posts: 207 | From: Double 0 seven Paris | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

agree totally with o,lt - deco choked last night. his uselessness in the first half was the main reason why figo and ronaldo barely touched the ball.
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rui Costa was the furthest thing from pacey I've ever seen, and almost preposterously indirect. His dribbling invariably got slowly past one or two greeks who were lateral to him, before running into two or three blocking his way, from where he wasted the ball.

Deco gave it away far less often. His passing accuracy was greatly impaired by Pauleta's shitness, because he put a load of through-balls in that Pauleta didn't react to and chase, and any time he played it short to him Pauleta stood where he was while a Greek ran past him and intercepted. But Deco kept chasing the ball down, winning it, feeding Figo and Santos Avoeira, showing for the ball from them, spreading it, bringing the full-backs into the attack, bringing in Maniche. His dribbling was far more direct, dangerous, and effective than Costa's. The only failing there was that he allows himself to be knocked off the ball, which the big strapping Greeks were only too happy to do. I say allows himself, because he's pretty strong when he wants to be, but will go down any time there's legitimate contact. However, he didn't get any breaks from the ref.

If you played remotely like Deco did last night ever in your life I'd track you down and kiss the soles of your dancing godlike feet.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now know the secret of the greek success.
Voodoo.
Check it out whenever a team comes up against them, their star players seem to play shite and choke, England in 2001, spain in the qualifyers, Portugal (twice) Spain, France and the Czech republic have succomed to the dark arts of the devious greeks.

I mean it can't have anything to do with the greeks being any good, after all their two best players could not hack it in the greatest league in the world.

Art, you can call me what you want. i will not take offence.
I still don't think that many people in this country have any idea about the fundementals of football and expect their players to play with their hearts and not their heads.

I know most of the biggest knockers of the greeks are not English, however they are the greatest advocates of the premier league so in this context they can be described as English supporters.

And they and whoever agrees with them can stuff the determination football where the sun don't shine.

When England can fashion a move like the Greeks did in the first half when the striker does the slick one two that measures the height of the portuguese defender, then come tell me about negative football. Greece do not play hoof and hope like England do not matter how hard you try and draw paralells to their game. Greece have been as good a team as England have over the last 3 years and this tournament win is the culmination of steady progress since Ray Hargle took over.

Portugal do not deserve to win this tournament, they have scraped their way through every round. Greece's defence has dominated the opposition strikers of all the fancied teams, have won the midfield battles on which a winning platform can be built.

Anybody who likes to think they have a deep knowledge of the game and appreciates tactics should get on thier knees and lick the testes of Ray hargle like they did to Jose.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oh, la technique
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for oh, la technique     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that blaming Pauleta, despite the fact that he was poor again, can explain Deco's crapness last night. It's just too easy.

I don't have any problem with playing "through balls" but when you start playing "through balls" to the feet of the opposing team, then you're missing the whole concept of the through pass. I don't know how any times he did this but it was getting ridiculous before Rui Costa came on.

The only time I got out of my seat was wehn Rui Costa got the ball and ran at the Greek defence, got to the byline and put in a low ball, only to see it drift harmlessly by the static Portuguese.

Don't get me wrong, I think Deco's great, but last night he was poor and how you can't see that I don't know.

Posts: 207 | From: Double 0 seven Paris | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and a great header from Harry Stayas.
Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

Has anyone mentioned the lack of numbners Portugal got in the box whenever they attacked?

Whenever deco had the ball he only had Pauletta ahead of him. How often did maniche, Costinha and later Costa get in the box. Figo recived the ball in the box only once in the game and that was in injury time.

However when Greece broke forward, they always pushed numbers up.

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan
Member # 39

- posted      Profile for Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, so by "English supporters" you just mean anyone who likes English football (how awful!), wherever they're from, even if they were quite critical of the England team and clearly didn't want them to win? That's all ignored, so they become English supporters, so that you can throw insults about the England team (which has nothing to do with them) in their direction?

Or do you just use "English" as a term for anyone you disagree with? Anyone whose appreciation of football doesn't match your impeccably high standards? Anyone who watches this awful "stone-age football"?

And what about (again) the English people who were sticking up for Greece? Are they not English? Were they lying? Do they not exist?

It must be a lot easier to make generalisations about people if you change the definitions of words without telling anyone.

Posts: 10341 | From: London Overground | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  30  31  32   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC