This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Euro 2004 » The Final: Portugal v Greece (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: The Final: Portugal v Greece
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Back to the original spirit of the thread)

Everyone making the same point over and over again on OTF versus Everyone making the same point over and over again on OTF

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but how am I naive in saying that Merck will know Rehhagel's ways, and how are you not making a rather serious allegation about Merck's character?

[ 03-07-2004, 14:06: Message edited by: G-Man ]

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's "merk" by the way.

i still think you're being naive g-man, but you know the germans better than me, and perhaps we shouldn't suspect an old pal's act. but to me the whole thing just seems very murky.

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erwin
Member # 403

- posted      Profile for erwin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Merk and Rehhagel are the best of mates. In fact Merk is Rehhagel's dentist. But Scolari, in his infinite wisdom, has played this right down. He said that this is the game of everyone's life, and that Merk won't want to be remembered as fucking up the final for any reason. He'll make mistakes (sayeth Mighty Phil), but he'll make them on both sides.
Posts: 3378 | From: just this side of beyond all hope | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i still think you're being naive g-man, but you know the germans better than me, and perhaps we shouldn't suspect an old pal's act. but to me the whole thing just seems very murky.
So you were projecting, rou.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

Of course, if this or this is -- both Irish -- the standard of the information you draw from, then maybe I should not be too surprised.

Witness this bit of rubbish:

quote:
There have been a handful of controversies in the tournament so far, with Ruud van Nistelrooy facing a UEFA hearing today after being charged with verbally abusing referee Anders Frisk after the first semi-final.

England were also frustrated by the decision of Swiss official Urs Meier to disallow a header by Sol Campbell in their quarter-final against Portugal.

Not a word that neither Meier nor Frisk were right in their "controversial" decisions.

And this beauty:

quote:
Rehhagel, a German, revealed: I am glad that Markus Merk is refereeing the final as he is a very respected official. I have known him since I was 15 years old.
Which is a very neat trick, seeing as Rehhagel is about 20 years older than Merk. Of course, Rehhagel has known Merk since the referee was 15 years old.

In any case, I expect that rou will issue an acknowledgement that he was totally out of line questioning Merk's integrity should the referee have a good game (and apologise to me for his "naive" remark,while he's at it).

For my part, I shall change my moniker to G-Naive should Merk exhibit any undue bias towards the Greek team.

[ 03-07-2004, 16:57: Message edited by: G-Man ]

garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In any case, I expect that rou will issue an acknowledgement that he was totally out of line questioning Merk's integrity should the referee have a good game (and apologise to me for his "naive" remark,while he's at it).
again naive.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

He he. I bet I'm setting myself up for another "naive" response when I say that I trust your brand of journalism does not reflect the analysis you offer on threads like these.
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i just don't see why they can't pick a ref who is above suspicion.
Agreed. They should have picked a referee from a country famous for its neutrality, impartiality, fence-balancing and chocolate cuckoo-clocks.

No-one would dare question the neutrality of a Swiss referee. That would just be silly.

[ 03-07-2004, 17:35: Message edited by: The Hypertech ]

Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

no more than yours does yours, i would guess.
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colours-to-mast time. I think it's important that I offer my undivided allegiance to the portuguese.

They have not impresed me very much in this tournament. They strike me as frequently devoid of coherence, particularly in attack given their embarrassment of riches going forward (pauleta aside).

However, the Greeks play cynical, brutal, mafia football. It doesn't matter that the Greeks are the 'smaller' team here. Sure it's great that they've done well having never won a game in the competition, but it's time for them to leave. It's nice that there's another footballing force but it's time for them to go now.

The Greek team is not a symbol of the little guy struggling in adversity, it's a symbol of the growth of malignant cynicism in modern soccer, a throwback to the bad old days of Italia 1990. The Greek team is the dark power rising in the east, the gathering of the forces of Mordor. All very well to make the struggle interesting, but it's a lot better if they don't win.

What everyone seems to forget about David and Goliath, was that the reason everyone is glad David won was not because he was the small guy. It was because Goliath was a fvcking Philistine at the head of an enormous army about to rape, pillage and enslave Israel. If David had been the bigger he still would have been the good guy. The Greeks are the footballing Philistines in underdog's clothing.

The forces of evil must be defeated.

Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S. aureus
Member # 949

- posted      Profile for S. aureus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I've become increasingly inclined to support Greece over the last couple of days. Can't imagine why.
Posts: 2324 | From: Pharmageddon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

Ah yes, toro toro had not yet nailed his colours to the mast on the Greece debate.

Is there a Republic of Ireland poster who does not hate Greece's team?

Member # 588

I imagine toro toro will side with the land of aristotle, socrates, and plato. out of sheer argumentativeness.
Vernons Pools
Member # 324

- posted      Profile for Vernons Pools     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the way the Greece National football team plays the game. And I am not from the Republic of Ireland.

I don't care too much for Portugal, (bunch of diving bastards) either and as such, will not be laying out $25 to watch this game at home nor in a bar. I will pray that Portugal wipe the floor with them though, although I also hope that Ronaldo has a stinker and is sent off for diving :-) However if Portugal wins, the Portuguese-America club (members only), about 4 streets over from my house, will no doubt have an all-night party which will keep us all awake. And yet, if Greece wins, the Hellenic Social club (members only), which is part of the Greek Orthodox church, about two streets away will have a party also. So I can't win on that front.

So, it comes down to good over evil. Come on Portugal.

Posts: 1297 | From: the place with all the pace | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  30  31  32   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC