This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Euro 2004 » You are Sven (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: You are Sven
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hope to lose a couple of early qualifiers, get pensioned off and then sit back and watch the next bloke struggle with the same problems.

More seriously I'd give Beckham one more go and if he doesn't perform he's out. I know everyone here hates him but I don't honestly believe Wright-Phillips or Dwyer are actually better

I'd use Southgate alongside Campbell until Ferdinand comes back and would give Defoe a good run to test him out. Beattie may well be an option against British-style defending.

Robinson has to get a proper run in goal as James for me did nothing, no saves, certainly no presence in the area.

I'd also try Bridges as a left sided midfielder in front of Cole. I am also still a fan of at least giving Alan Thompson a decent chance.

[ 12-07-2004, 03:10: Message edited by: Uncle Ethan ]

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tunoku
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for tunoku         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd play 3 centre halves. Ferdinand, Campbell and Terry with the latter (who is the slowest) in the middle.

Put Jay-Lloyd Samuel and Ashley Cole as right and left wing backs (the former can play either wing).

Stick Gerrard in front of the centre halves. Shaun Wright-Phillips and Gareth Barry as 'inner' midfielders who would be given carte blanche to move anywhere they please.

Rooney up front on his own (he plays better without anyone clogging up space around him) with Frank Lampard right behind him.

Posts: 109 | From: Linden | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wont it be more of the same and hope one or two individuals not now in the frame come through and develop...international managers more so than any of their colleagues in the managerial trade never have the luxury of building for the future..

occasionally a precocious Gascoigne or Rooney comes along on which a nation can dream but otherwise the squad entrusted to spend the next 18 months qualifying for Germany will have played in the Korean & Portugal tournaments(including Emile Heskey & Phil Neville)

Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The idea of playing three at the back and flooding midfield is a nice one, however it leaves you with three defenders who have played all their careers in back fours. Not sure you could teach old dogs new tricks.

Two of them played in a pretty impressive England back 3 during the 1998 world cup alongside Le Saux, now I'd rate either Cole or Bridge as just as good a player as Le Saux (i'm not going to say they are better than he was because Le Saux was a vastly underrated England player). The problem with that wing-back system was that England were exciting to watch, attacking and unfortunately beatable. They were unfortunately beatable with Paul Ince cleaning up any loose ball he could in front of defence, I don't think Nicky Butt is on the same level as Paul Ince between 96-98 so I don't think it would work. It would be good to watch but ultimately it would be fruitless. I think a more organised 4-4-2 may have got England through to the semi-finals in that tournament, but I admire Hoddle's tactical invention and wouldn't criticise the way England played in the tournament.

So what should Sven do, in my opinion he should do exactly what he has been doing, he plays a good starting 11, the only thing I question about Sven are his substitutions and the squad he picks. Bad substitutions were one of the main reasons we lost the QF in WC 2002, they were one of the main reasons we lost the game against France and they were one of the main reasons we lost the QF against Portugal. The unfortunate thing is that Sven can't read the newspapers during a game and make a substitution on the basis of popular opinion, this is one decision he has to make on his own. All of his substitutions are safe and rarely are made to go out and win a game, just to defend it.

As for dropping Beckham, don't be stupid, the people who say this are the same people who cried for his head in 1998. He's had personal problems, he'll regret how badly he played and will be hungrier than ever to put things straight in time for the world cup, the guy is and will still be a world class player and one of the best players in the team.

Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defensive-minded
Member # 493

- posted      Profile for Defensive-minded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-------------Robinson----------
Neville-Campbell-Ferdinand-Cole
-----------Hargreaves----------
Beckham----Lampard---Gerrard---
------Rooney-------Owen--------

3-5-2 only makes sense if you have three central defenders and two wide midfielders who are quick.
Cole might be able to do this, but it would mean either leaving Neville out of the team or playing him as a central defender which he can do but is not his natural positon. It would also mean either leaving Beckham out of the team or playing him in a central position which I do not think he is particularly good at.

Posts: 972 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defensive-minded
Member # 493

- posted      Profile for Defensive-minded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with steveeeeeeeee on Hoddle to a certain extent and would like to add that I think Hoddle did some great work for England in terms of tactics. I think he was on the right way and England could be in a better postion if he were still the manager. He managed to stike a good balance between a tactical approach and adventurous football, while paying attention to details (The way the free-kicks were taken impressed me quite a bit).
Posts: 972 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoebe Disco
Member # 46

- posted      Profile for Phoebe Disco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what should Sven do, in my opinion he should do exactly what he has been doing, he plays a good starting 11

If he plays a good starting XI, why has our midfield not looked balanced in three and a half years? He has tried two left midfielders at left midfield, for a total of 73 minutes, other than that he has played strikers, fullbacks, right and central midfielders there, and all have had more time to prove themselves than Alan Thompson and Gareth Barry put together. He plays our best players, as opposed to our best team. There is gaping chasm between the two.

Bad substitutions were one of the main reasons we lost the QF in WC 2002, they were one of the main reasons we lost the game against France and they were one of the main reasons we lost the QF against Portugal.

Having no plan B was the main reason we lost against Brazil, willing France to attack us was the main reason that we lost against them, and having a Plan B against Portugal identical to the Plan A against Brazil two years before was the reason that game was lost.

That is if you ignore the fact that a)we were the poorer side on all three occasions, b) the team isn't balanced in midfield and c) the tactics don't suit the players.

As for dropping Beckham, don't be stupid, the people who say this are the same people who cried for his head in 1998. He's had personal problems, he'll regret how badly he played and will be hungrier than ever to put things straight in time for the world cup,

What were his excuses for his performances in Japan in 2002, Euro 2000 and France 1998? He has scored goals from two set pieces in major finals, but what else has he achieved across four tournaments, at times when he's been at the peak at his game, with no personal problems? If he couldn't stamp his mark on tournaments in his mid-20s, he's not suddenly going to morph into the player of the 2006 World Cup, at the age of 31.

the guy is and will still be a world class player and one of the best players in the team.

What has Beckham done do deserve this 'World Class' status? He isn't world class, and never will be, he has far too many defects to his game - he can't tackle, he can't head the ball, he has no pace, he can't beat players when he has the ball, he has fantastic distribution and vision, but that's it. Now he plays as though England should cater to his every whim, and that his bollocks are too big to track back, or retain his position on the right hand side. If he's just going to go through the motions, or disrupt the shape of the team, so as he looks like the big star (Greece WC qualifier), then England will struggle to play well when he plays. He is not bigger than the England team, and he needs to start playing as a team player, as he used to. If he can't do that, then give it to an inferior player who has the desire to succeed, and knows that they have to play well to keep their place. Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard, Owen, Ferdinand, Campbell and Neville know they are in a comfort zone where they will always be picked (Eriksson has stated their places are guaranteed on at least one occasion), but only Campbell, Neville, and to a lesser extent Gerrard, still play like it's a privellege, rather than a right.

Posts: 14959 | From: the heart of a deviancy amplification spiral | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No left foot either.

<...nods head knowingly...>

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beckham only started 2 games in France 98 because Hoddle wanted to play Anderton and Batty ahead of him. In the time he spent on the pitch at that tournament he played well. I felt he also played well in Euro 2000, but the rest of the team were poor. Since then however he has played well in only one off qualifiying games, and although in his defence he wasn't fully fit in WC2002, he hasn't played consistently well (for club or country, especially club) since the tail end of 2000. Certainly not well enough to be branded world class. However such is the hype surrounding him that he was nominated for world player of the year a while back on the strength of one free kick.

[ 13-07-2004, 09:40: Message edited by: ooh aah ]

Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read a few posts advocating playing Dyer out of position.
Since he usually plays down the centre for Newcastle, i find it surprising that one should replace a player for one playing out of position.

I hope Art and the people who took offence when i criticised English supporters also noticed this.
As my friend says, "You get the team you deserve".

I will not even go into Stephen Gerrard at wing-back.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven Gerard played his best football on the right for Liverpool. I believe you even said so yourself once.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dyer has been used in different positions for Newcastle, including upfront (did very well in that role at southampton in the cup). He seems to be more versatile in that respect than most players that England have. Dyer either plays well or he doesn't. I get the impression that if things are going well, and he's in the mood he'll play well, irrespective of his position. To my mind England don't have a left winger of any note, so they shouldn't play a nominated left winger (bearing in mind how attack minded Cole is at left back.) Rather they should play midfielders that are capable of attacking from any part of the pitch, and whoever happens to be on the left hand side at that point should act as the left winger. As I haven't done one of these yet I suppose as Sven my formation would look a bit like this:

code:

Robinson

G Nev Rio Campbell Cole

Gerrard
Beckham

Scholes Dyer

Rooney
Owen

The midfield would be picked on the basis of recent form though. If Golden Balls isn't doing the job then he would be replaced, with Gerrard moving to his position, and someone like Hargreaves or Butt acting as the holding midfielder. Equally Scholes would only be picked ahead of Lampard if his form merits it. I would stress that Dyer would not be expected to provide width on the left all of the time. Scholes and Dyer would be interchangeable appearing where they are needed. Beckham would be expected to provide most of the width on the right and if he repeats his current form then he's out. In that event the captaincy would have to go to G Nev or Sol Campbell.
Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And i did Pavel. But that was at right midifield which last time i checked is different to right wing back.

Also he has been in centre midfield for the last 3 seasons.

Sol Campbell was a decent right back when he broke into the Spurs team in 95. But he was a useless right back in the Euro 2000 playoff against Scotland in late 99.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How would you get England to win?
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread title on the other hand keeps making me think of that bit in 'League of Gentleman' where Papa Lazarou does his clairvoyancy thing.

[slaps face, looks glassy-eyed and mystic] 'Now, I am Sven'.

That bit. It's doing me head in.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC