This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Euro 2004 » Best Of Euro 2004

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Of Euro 2004
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't sit here and see "Ref's Spread..." and think "buttcheeks" everytime I look at the forums list.

So here's my Best Of list:

Best Games
1) Portugal-England
2) Czech-Holland
3) France-England
4) Denmark-Sweden
5) Czech-Denmark

Best Fans
1) Holland
2) Greece
3) England
4) Latvia (Just for the way they were all coming out of the mountains for the Braga game...it was the spookiest thing I've ever seen. Like the Ducky Boys appearing in The Wanderers.)

Best Stadium
1) Stade de Luz
2) Braga
3) Avalade
4) Coimbra
5) Guimaraes (looked to be the most boring, but was outstanding.)

Best Fan Who Deserved Getting Stabbed By A Homeless Ukrainian
1) The Czech guy that was kicking a coke bottle at 3 Portugese supporters after Portugal beat Spain. He would kick the bottle at them, and hold up his flea-infested Czech scarf at them. If only I had a 9.
2) The English group who'd yell "picture ! picture !" at every passing Asian fan after they lost to Portugal.
3) The long-haired Greek fan that kept asking where his fruit salad was to the waiter, getting more belligerent each time. He just flew in for the final. When I told him it was a great accomplishment for Greece to be in the final, he nodded and closed his eyes like he coached the team even though he didn't see one game the entire tournament, and said "Yes I know. Cheers."
4) The Dutch fan who in the busride to the Quarterfinal in Faro started singing "Show your tits for your country" with my wife standing right next to him. I tried pulling her away, and she started calling him a loser who can't get any at home. That was comfortable.
5) The Evil Greek Lady at the final, who had this Evil Smile and Evil Voodoo Look in her eye and Evil Clapping Hands as she eyeballed the Portugese fans when she sang her Evil Greek Songs.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the Greek fans. There weren't too many at the first game when they thought there was nothing to play for. Bunch of bandwagon jumpers.

I thought the Braga stadium looked kind of disappointing on television, but everyone who was there said it was great, so I'll go with their opinion.

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that, but like I said, the Greeks performance at the final...have you ever seen Nusrat Ali Khan give a concert in Pakistan, and all of those kufi-wearing bearded Muslims start spinning in circles with their eyes bulging out? It was that level.

Best Goals
1) Rui Costa - Portugal v England
2) Maniche - Portugal V Holland
3) Baros - Czech Rep V Denmark
4) Baros - Czech Rep V Holland
5) Zidane - France V England

I don't give 2 shits about that Swedish backheel or that Swedish diving header. There was a camp counseler named Ronnie from Scotland who had a nicer diving header than Larsson's. He was barely diving. People are such schmucks to fall for such shit. Idiots. Morons.

If anyone disagrees with my choices (besides Mr. Coyote,) I declare them a complete and total buffoon.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Goals
1) Rui Costa - Portugal v England
2) Maniche - Portugal V Holland
3) Baros - Czech Rep V Denmark
4) Baros - Czech Rep V Holland
5) Zidane - France V England

Agree with jv on the diving header business. It's cack.

Best Games
1) Portugal-England
2) Czech-Holland
3) France-England
4) Denmark-Italy - a great 0-0
5) Portugal-Spain

Best Fans
1) Holland
2) Sweden
3) Portugal
4) England
5) Czech

I know that I didn't get to see them in the flesh in the final and I know that I might just be a tad disgruntled owing to my Portuguese roots, but the first Greece fans I saw the whole tournament were in the week leading up to the final, which is a disgrace.
I don't care how much they hated their team, fans of nearly all other nationalities were to be found all over the place, even when their own team wasn't in town. They were there, you know, to breathe in the football.
Not so the Greek fans. They were exactly like the bloke in that totally hateful Hyundai advert which ran during the tournament - where everyone's watching the game, but he's too busy off somewhere else fondling his gearstick, and when he finally gets to the pub, the ball hits the back of the net and he's there with his replica kit, going oooooffff! Cvnt.

Best Stadium
1) Estadio de Luz
2) Braga
3) Dragao
--- daylight ---
4) Alvalade
5) Faro

It might be the Benfiquista in me speaking out, but the gap between Luz and Alvalade was huge. And this was pleasing. Alvalade was still nice, but it has aged badly in a year, and my girlfriend gave it a big thumbs down as far as number and quality of women's dunnies.

Braga was just something else. And the atmosphere in there was great despite the open ends.

Awesome Things I saw there
1) The Bairro Alto after a Portugal win
2) Maniche's goal in the semi
3) French Fans singing Le Marsellaise in the
tunnel leaving Luz after the game vs England
4) Figo vs Holland, controlling a long ball on his chest with a marker right on him, bringing it to the ground, beating his man, and hitting the post with a left footed curler.
5) Braga stadium.

Great Schadenfreude Moments
1) Italy 2-1 Bulgaria
2) Barthez getting sconed vs England
3) Sven's negative substitutions losing games vs France and Portugal
4) Latvia hold out Germany

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best Games
1) Portugal-England
2) Czech-Holland
3) Denmark-Sweden
4) Portugal-Holland
5) France-Swizerland/England-Croatia [both simultaneously, I was at the former but getting constant up-dating texts about the latter, then caught the highlights of the match when we got back to the hotel about one]

No argument about the top one, really. More for the location I watched it in than anything else. Czech-Holland was the great match of the tournament, I reckon, Portugal v England was an experiance, almost an endurance test to be honest. In er, a good way though.

Best Fans
1) Portugal
2) Switzerland [I really warmed to the Swiss fans watching the France-Swizerland match. They really got behind their team all the way to the whistle. They were great. Reminded me a lot of how Charlton away matches used to be actually, that's probably 'cause they were playing in red though. Plus we were sitting with them, so when they equalised in that match, we all jumped up as well. That was great that match. If it had stayed 1-1, my quater final ticket would have been for England v Greece rather than France v Greece]
3) Denmark [Saw more of them than the Swedish fans at the Scandanavian derby. No particular reason why, it's just all the bars we went in were full of Danish fans. They were ace, a big, entirely friendly bunch of piss-heads. One of my main memories of the tournament is sitting in a cafe in Porto when a Danish band - I mean, you know drums and trumpets, rather than say Aqua - came in and all the Danes who were in the cafe started singing. They were there for about half an hour, it was bizarre, you kept thinking 'ah, this'll be the last tune now surely, but they'd just kick straight into another 'ah la oh la ma la bada' tune [can't speak Danish, not a fucking clue what they were yelling about] The old woman who's cafe it was kept running out of the kitchen, holding her ears and shaking her head. Sounds like it should have been irritating as fuck, but it was great and hilarious, honestly. Completely out of the blue too, it'd had been dead quiet before.
4) Holland
5) Latvia

Best Stadium
1) Braga
All the other ones I saw were good too, but the one at Braga was completely amazing.

Most Irittating fan
1. Only one, this middle-aged French guy on the coach from the stadium back into town, who kept yelling 'bye, bye Swiss' at the Swiss fans in a sort of goading, nasty sort of way. The twat. he got on my wick. The Swiss fans just blanked him.

Awesome Things I saw there
1. The Braga Stadium
2. Braga itself. It's got fifty odd old churches, all done in that full-on baroque ornate, loads of gold, arches, marble and pillars stylee. It's a beautiful town, honestly. If I could get a job, i'd be over there yesterday.
3. Dowtown Lisbon. The bit we were in was like something out of 'Taxi Driver'. Old blokes wearing zoot suits. Coppers everywhere. The hotel we were staying in had a copper employed full time to look a bit menacing and walk around with his fucking magnum. Or whatever it was he had.
4. French fans singing 'roll out the barrel' during the France-Greece game. Or something that sounded a lot bloody like it anyway.
5. The televised highlights of some all-day piss-up in Porto on Portugese telly. One of the bits I saw involved some sixty year old woman dancing on her own to Eurodisco, while some woman dressed like a Christmas Tree sung over the top. Maybe you've had to have seen it for yourself though.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, agree about the backheel Swedish goal but think you are quite wrong about the Larsson header. The technique behind that was exemplary.
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which Baros goal against Denmark? I assume you mean the little chip, although the one were Nedved gave him a perfect assist and he took on the entire Danish defence was good too.

My favourite goal was Portugal's second against Russia. I know the Russians were down to ten men and defending like shit, but the build up play and the way the Portuguese sliced them open on the counter was great. A real team goal. If only they had scored more goals like that istead of turning into a bunch of glory hunters.

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, yeah. That flying backheel volley thing realy was awful. [Confused]
Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

I guess the technique wasn't exemplary enough.
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fucking hell.

best goal

1= zlatan ibrahimovic v italy
1= henrik larsson 1 v bulgaria
3 baros v holland
4 zidane 1 v england
5 maniche v holland

best game

1 england v france
2 czech v holland
3 england v portugal
4 sweden v denmark
5 croatia v france

best stadium

1 = estadio da luz - big stadiums don't have to be ugly
1 = bessa stadium, porto - sweden denmark in the pissing rain, little, tight, old fashioned rectangular ground full of concrete and asbestos cladding, it was glorious. fuck off braga.

worst stadium

braga - ugly, gimmicky, twee, smug, pretentious, no atmosphere, boring town, miles away from anywhere good, shit games. i hope it falls into the sea.

best fans

1 croatia
2 sweden
3 denmark
4 germany
5 holland

most irritating fan

1 the ignorant dutch cunt who shouted at me to "stop pushing him" in the crush outside dragao going in to the holland-germany game. maybe he was blind.
2 the no surrender-chanting fuckwit who sat next to me throughout england-croatia and kept demanding to know why i wasn't singing along

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

1. Zlatan Ibrahimovic vs Italy
1. Rui Costa vs Russia
3. Baros vs Holland
4. Antonio Cassano vs Bulgaria
5. Marek Heinz vs Germany
5. Michael Ballack vs Czech Republic (lovely assist from the Pigraiser)

[ 22-07-2004, 12:44: Message edited by: Pavel Coyote ]

Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
braga - ugly, gimmicky, twee, smug, pretentious, no atmosphere, boring town, miles away from anywhere good, shit games. i hope it falls into the sea.
Haha!

I'd love to see that turned into a campaign by the Portugese tourist board, actually:

'Come to Braga, it's pretentious as fuck and the football is shit'

say.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fire and Brim
Member # 919

- posted      Profile for Fire and Brim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best goal:
Rui Costa v England.
Postiga (pen) v England.
Ballack v Czech
Heinz v Germany
Charisteas v France
Gomes v Spain

Best game:
Portugal v England
Croatia v England
Spain v Portugal
Czech v Germany
France v Greece

Best stadium;
Luz – fabulous architecture. Seeing as I only went to that and Avalade it’s a clear winner.

Worst stadium.
Well, you can no doubt work this one out. However Avalade meant you could be back in Bairro Alto 15 mins after the final whistle.

Best Fans:
1. England. They’ve always been the ones I avoided but , by chance, we ended up with 2 of their games and I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of aggression I had come to expect. Their numbers dwarfed that of any other nation and their passion appeared to be greater as well. Coupled with the fact that proportionally more follow ‘the tournament‘ as well as their own team they win comfortably in this category for me.
2. Croatia. Loud and passionate.
3. Czechs. Hats off for that bouncing up and down song the ends ‘pop pop pop’.
4. Poo-too-gaaal.
5. Es-pan-ya. Novel to see so many of them in good voice (prior to Gomes goal, of course).

Bogey prize to France fans for failing to lift their team when needed v Greece. Bandwagon-jumpers - they were never interested in their team in their own World Cup until the Semi finals.

Irritant:
Struggling really… oooh a Feyenoord fan on his own on a platform in Rossio chanting ‘Fuck Holland , ‘We’ are Fc Feyenoord’ A minor irritant really.
England's 'German Bombers' song.

Posts: 187 | From: Middlesex | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

I'll take the Greeks out and replace them with the Danes. For the reason that there was this huge, bald "piss-head" who was in the Braga square after the Holland-Latvia. I tried telling him I once went to Vlidgeberg and Skagen. He was nodding his head up and down like a maniac, and upon seeing my wife, he leaned on her and started saying over and over, "Yoko Ono - Yoko Ono"

Rory - Damn, I knew I had to get to the Bairro Alto instead of Restauradores after the Portugal wins. Damn. I was right around the corner as well. I still got to see the drunk Portugese womens after the Greek win, and they were still partying.

"Great Schadenfreude Moments" = Awesome. I think that Latvia tie with Germany will be talked about forever in Riga. Why do the Germans have so much trouble with the Baltics ?

Pavel - yes, the Baros 2nd-cousin-of-Poborsky's chip. I'm a sucker for chips, the way they float in the air forever and the way they make the keeper look completely toasted. Seeing this one in the bigscreen in Faro, everyone turned their head like someone just farted (the wrinkled face, the squinted eyes, the oh-no-he-didn't,) and proceeded to make weird noises. It was a special one.

Supergrass - Zidane's near-assist backheel was 90000x better than that sloppy Swedish backheel. Flying ? The dude jumped in the air, mishit it, and somehow it floated and plopped in the net. Come on now. From what everyone was saying, it sounded like it was the level of this Italian dude who overran a cross, kicked his backlegs up like a Scorpion and backheeled it in while diving a few years ago. Backheel goal =/= automatically brilliant.

Best TV Coverage of Team Bus Ride To Game
Portugal 4.7.04 - RTPtv covered Portugal's entire busride to the final via helicopter, like the OJ Chase. While it started out with some fans outside the training facility, one might think that was it. Then a minute goes by, and there's fans still lining the streets. Then 5 minutes go by, and more cops join the caravan and more people are on the streets. Then the bus rides by a horse corral, and 30 cabarellos start riding alongside the bus for 5 minutes. Then the bus crosses a bridge, and 50 jetskiers and motorboats ride across the water under the bus. All the while, for the 45 minute busride, there was probably hundreds of thousands of people cheering them the entire way. Don't know what else to say other than I found it one of the most beautiful experiences I've ever seen.

Too Late Kid Award
I was eating at a restaurant the day after the final, when this pudgy Portugese kid came up to me. He tried telling me that Portugal were the real campeones, and started chanting "Poo-too-gal, Grecia Nao." I told him to say it another 5000 times in a row, and it'll come true.

Ahhhh, thank you everybody, finally a sense of closure.

bryanattoni
Member # 60

-

This is no ordinary backheel. And it went into the top corner as well.

It looks like it wasn't a back heel at all. He used his studs.

[ 22-07-2004, 15:12: Message edited by: Pavel Coyote ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC