This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » South Africa v Australia (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: South Africa v Australia
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be a great admirer of Steve Bucknor, one of the finest umpires of his generation or any other. However, aspects of his performance in this series suggests that he is in terminal decline.

He happily gave Jacques Rudolph out caught Hayden for a very low catch, purely on the say-so of our favourite Australian opener. Later, Dippenaar caught Brett Lee in similar circumstances. Bucknor wouldn't give Lee out on the catcher's say so (having been consulted by co-umpire Hill).

Even after seeing the Hayden catch several times on TV in slow motion, I can't say for certain that Hayden caught it (I'm inclined to take his word for it). The Dippenaar catch was pretty clearly legit after one replay. There's a problem with consistency there.

And last night, Bucknor offered the Australians the light (which they understandably took since SA was going strongly) after blindman Lee misjudged (not failed to see) a ball from Ntini. As he decided that it was too dark to play on, [b]Bucknor was still wearing his sunglasses[b]!

Compare this to his refusal to offer the light on Day 5 of the Durban test, when it was much darker.

The lack of consistency is very annoying.

Anyhow, a decent performance from SA, with Kallis (or cooach Mickey Arthur) taking some welcome initative in moving Pollock, who went on to score an aggressive 40, up the order. SA should set Australia a target of about 300. It won't be easy, depending on whether the SA bowlers will be able to exploit the probable absence of Langer, and knock over the top three fairly quickly.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, maybe the great man (Bucky) should retire. I watched some this earlier and Boucher, supported by Nel, looked comfortable. You'd fancy the Aussies to get 300 though, even with only 10 men.

Will G.S. Man be the first batter in test history to pass 15,000 runs/ posts?

Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When to offer the light was a major issue in the England tour of SA too wasn't it? Can't be that hard to address the issue.

Usual Australian dead rubber performance.

Interesting to compare recent wins to the Ashes series. Everyone in Australia seems to think everything is fine now.

However, as far as I can see Hayden getting some form back and Hussey's batting are the only real improvements. Ponting is the key man still and the only really consistent player.

Gilchrist has not shown much to suggest he is regaining his form. Clarke has done well in the absence of McGrath but the attack is still very Warne dependant. Lee has impressed in bursts but it is not surpising how fast he is really is it when you watch slow motion replays?

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. This series is more a case of SA performing well below par than Australia being outstanding. On current form, England would surely win the Ashes.

As for the light, in the series against New Zealand later this month, starting times have been brought forward, which makes sense. I can't see why they don't do that for tests in Durban and Johannesburg as a rule.

Duncan, I reckon mumpo will get there before me. He has a better strike rate too.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was the England series in Pakistan where the last test seemed to be scheduled so that it was impossible to play a full day. It was all a plot so Pakistan could defend their 1-0 lead. It, er, worked so well they won that test as well.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it wasn't for a dead rubber, this game would be getting quite exciting.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting very tight now. it's the Lee and Kasprowicz show again...

Is Langer able to bat at all if they lose another wicket?

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

I am not looking for cheap excuses, but this test was decided by the umpires. Not saying it was sinister, like Darrel Hair in 1994, or that Pakistani umpire in England in 1999; it was just incompetence with poor decisions going against SA at crucial times.

King On The Rye
Member # 978

- posted      Profile for King On The Rye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
that Pakistani umpire in England in 1999
How was that sinister? Incompetent, sure.

South Africa are a surprisingly gutless bunch, aren't they? They've got some superb players but they never really manage to give the Aussie a test/Test.

Posts: 1161 | From: Peckham | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

I think there were nine bad decisions against South African batsmen that test from that fellow alone. If you have Hansie Cronjé on the good side of an argument about ethics in cricket, then you have a clincher. I reckon a closer analysis of that test will reveal that legitimate questions about a breach of ethics might arise.
King On The Rye
Member # 978

- posted      Profile for King On The Rye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was 1998 wasn't it? If I remember rightly, it was the decisive Headingley Test that was controversial - in which (having checked on Cricinfo) there were eight lbw decisions against SA - what was the ninth 'bad' decision?

I don't think that cunt Cronje was 'ever on the good side of an argument', btw.

Have you got any proof or just allegations?

Posts: 1161 | From: Peckham | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King On The Rye
Member # 978

Seems that Ali Bacher made the same suggestions as you - but then refused to go to court in Pakistan:

Bacher back out

Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was indeed that last test. The umpire was Javed Aktar. However, according to an article in Wisden Cricket Monthly (I think it was) decisions in the series over the series favoured South Africa. Admittedly England would have probably lost the test they did anyway without the dubious decisions, whereas in South Africa's case, the decisions clearly cost them a test.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

Rye, it's not a test I would like to own on DVD and revisit. I recall watching it and not just suspecting, but knowing that something very fishy was going on there. There are no levels of incompetence to describe Aktar's performance in that test.

He disappeared soon after that, didn't he (from umpiring, I mean).

Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Akhtar got paid £158 for officiating in that test. On those sorts of wages it wouldn't be surprising if he'd been tempted by bookies waving armfuls of cash.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC