This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Sports book of the year every year (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sports book of the year every year
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

New Wisden out on April 12th. Who will be the cricketers of the year?

Pietersen
S Jones
Hoggard
B Lee
and someone from county cricket

[ 27.03.2006, 10:39: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Giles, Blackwell, Loudon, Panesar and Brett Lee.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King On The Rye
Member # 978

- posted      Profile for King On The Rye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panesar? LOUDON?

At least Blackers did something significant in the county season. I think Monty and Loudon are good players, but cricketers of the year? Mais non.

Has Mike Hussey been one before? Pietersen is a shoo-in, Jones yes, Hoggard yes, Lee perhaps. Shoaib Akhtar?

Posts: 1161 | From: Peckham | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's for the effect on the English season, not playing against England, so I don't see how Shoaib can qualify. The only exceptions they make to that are for really stunning stuff like Andy Flower's series in India.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the criteria?

Surely Flintoff should be in there if he's eligible.

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

You can't be in there if you've been one before- Flintoff was in 2004.
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Amazon have Wisden 2006 available for pre-order for under 20 inc P&P. RRP is 38.
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Five players of the year named:

Pietersen
Hoggardhttp://www.onetouchfootball.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=7
Sport
Simon Jones
Brett Lee
Ponting

I missed the last one because I thought he'd been one before- he hadn't, he'd merely been world player of the year.

Flintoff named world's best. Kallis must have been close.

Matthew Engel quite trenchant on the ICC's expansion policy. Cricket isn't a global game, he says:

quote:
What of the World Cup then? Has the continued inclusion of developing nations reached its limit?

Well, it doesn't represent proper expansion of the game. The top two counties to qualify were Ireland and Scotland which doesn't represent any kind of expansion or any kind of promise for the game. These countries are never going to beat teams consistently: they simply don't have the potential to become major cricketing powers. We're just pretending.

[ 11.04.2006, 12:09: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tubby, you should do a "Cricketers of the Year" quiz. The requirement not to be previously named does throw up some surprising names. John Shepherd of Kent is not the first West Indian you might think of (he's in Wisden 79).
Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Shepherd was a Gloucs player, so I can see that.

Ian Austin is a mystery to me though.

Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm for an expansion of test cricket so that Ireland, Kenya, Arabia/Emirates, Canada etc. can play, occasionally. All of them could [have] give[n] the 'Desh a game.

Punter out!

Lancs had a good side when Austin was at his peak- Winker, Fairbrother, Martin etc. Bit of a fat lad though.

This may be the place to offer a pair of pads and gloves which are for some reason stored at our work and looking for a new home. If you're in the smoke, I can deliver.

[ 11.04.2006, 12:30: Message edited by: Duncan Gardner ]

Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Batting gloves? I'd like those.
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Done. PM me for a convenient drop time?
Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Are they in the shop? I'm dropping by this afternoon to say hello anyway.
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

Yes, though I'm out agitating early afternoon. Let me know what time you're in and we'll have a pint?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC