This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Most pointless sport (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Most pointless sport
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what about amateur players? Could they not choose?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. They could choose to play Rugby League or Rugby Union. But not both. Given the wholesale pillaging of Union by League teams for most of the last century, I hardly think that League comes to this affair with clean hands.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the aforementioned activities can be considered sports. My contention is whether the participants can be considered to be athletes.

Auto Racing : Sport ? Yes.
participant : Athlete ? No.

Etc.

Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Thanks Ursus. I think.

I was watching the horses bounce up and down while Chemical Brothers "The Boxer" DFA Remix was playing, and it was the funniest, most bizarre 2 minutes of my life.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Auto Racing : Sport ? Yes.
participant : Athlete ? No.

I'm no fan of motor racing, but I'm not so sure about that. You have to be very fit to drive those things at that speed for that long.

Incidentally, Michael Schumacher's not a bad footballer. A goal he scored in one of his charity matches was a candidate for goal of the month on German TV last month.

Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Vole, The
Member # 771

- posted      Profile for Exploding Vole, The     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Channel Four the other morning I caught some sort of "sport" in which planes flew very fast in between enormous pylons floating in the river in between doing various spins and dives. I thought that was rather pointless.
Posts: 1741 | From: time to time | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has baseball been defended yet? If not, I'll do it, because it's fucking mint. Absolutely whacking a fastball over a fence is one of the most satisfying things you can do in sport, closely followed by someone else whacking said ball at your face and you calmly catching the fucker in your mitt.

See, unlike in cricket (unless you've bagsied being wicket keeper), fielding in baseball is a right laugh. You're either throwing yourself like a mad bastard at ground balls or casually easing under a fly ball.

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macocha europy
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for macocha europy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Baseball is shit. Red Sox won't make play-offs.
Posts: 7953 | From: Tank Meadow, Munich North | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Baseball is fantastic: easily the best of the North American quartet of team sports. My one problem with it is that individual games are a bit of a lottery, but that's not a fatal flaw. You can't beat it for drama. An entire game can be turned around by one big inning; no other sport really has an equivalent of that.

Both codes of rugby are safe too, because both codes of rugby occasionally rise to the heights, with silky, attacking handling moves and dramatic last-ditch defending. I realise this isn't the norm in either sport: League matches mostly consist of big forwards trundling up the middle for five tackles, followed by an uninspired up-and-under, while Union alternates between motionless pile-ups and "tactical kicking" (surely the most boring thing invented in any form of "football"). But because of those occasional beams of sunlight that break through the clouds, both codes of rugby make the cut.

I was a bit of an Aussie-Rules-sceptic until last year, when I saw a live match at the Subi Oval. It was great; the panoramic view, which you never get on telly, really illuminated the attacking and defensive tactics. I suspect the same may be true of Gaelic sports.

I still struggle with American (and Canadian) football. That would be my nomination.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, baseball is great. The thing I don't get is why, when baseball is so popular in the US, and indeed is arguably the only truly mass participation and mass spectator sport (basketball is the other possibility), so many Americans find football boring and cricket baffling. Baseball isn't much higher scoring than football, and there's less regular exciting action, while the rules and tactical possibilities of baseball are every bit as intricate as cricket.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this American ranks cricket as his #2 favorite sport. Due to it being the Doctor's favorite sport on Earth (no telling what his favorite was on Davros or Gallifrey, however.)
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC