This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Cheats never prosper? (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Cheats never prosper?
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basso's hearing before the CONI anti-doping panel, which was scheduled for this afternoon, has been postponed indefinitely.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basso has "confessed" and is going to be working with the anti-doping panel in order to get out "all the facts".

Wow.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chuffin' Hell
Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems he's trying to do a Millar, confess, rehabilitate and be back before he's too old.

Somebody somewhere mut be tempted to name some of the footballers involved in Puerto...

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Yup, that's the idea.

And the current dream is to get his suspension to be declared to have started last year, so that he can ride in the 2008 Giro.

As to footballers:

quote:
He also repeated his allegation that he had seen "top level" footballers visiting Fuentes, but refused to name names "because as soon as you name a footballer, seven lawyers show up, and I've already lost enough money defending myself".

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Well, let's see how that holds up.

Basso's story is that it was his blood in Fuentes' refrigerator, but that it was only "attempted doping" because he never used the blood in question, which was purportedly for last year's Tour. He continues to say that he has never blood doped or used other doping products.

He also says he has no knowledge of anyone else involved with Fuentes.

I don't think this is over.

Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it normal for people to give bags of blood for no particular reason?
Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

He didn't said that, he said that he gave Fuentes the blood with the intention of doping during the Tour.

It is such a weird "defence" that it may actually be true, though one wonders what all of the messages before and during the Giro were all about if that was the case.

Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

I see. It is reminiscent of Tyler Hamilton's excuse, in that it is just bizarre.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Hamilton's was more bizarre and could only have been dreamed up by a US criminal lawyer used to playing with the concept of "reasonable doubt" (as it in fact was).

This reminds me more of Jimmy Carter having "sinned in his heart". On a very basic level, it works to explain why the bags of his blood were in Fuentes' fridge without at the same time contradicting his last twelve months' of blanket denials of having done anything wrong, but I don't know where they go from here when it comes to the notes and messages.

And now that BFJ's Swiss bank records seem to have been turned over to the Germans, someone is going to be looked at that bit as well.

The sad thing is that it is completely overshadowing the Giro.

[ 08.05.2007, 17:42: Message edited by: ursus arctos ]

Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

You're right Ursus. I don't know where it goes from here? Why the decision to come clean (sorry) now - 10 months after it all became common knowledge?
I suppose in one sense it does overshadow the Giro, but also the fact that he's not going to be racing allows the race to at least appear clean, unless someone does a Landis.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

FWIW, he's getting hammered pretty hard in the media. The Gazzetta editorial today was titled: "Something just doesn't add up here". There seems to be some certainty that there are inconsistencies between what he said in the press conference yesterday and what he told CONI the day before, presumably because of leaks from CONI.

Lots of delusion among the tifosi, as well, even in home town, where RAI went last night. The best they could get from people who had pictures and/or jerseys in their shops was a resigned "I guess they all have to do it."

And Scarponi has admitted to being the Zapatero in Fuentes' lists and is going to cooperate. This has the potential to put more pressure on Basso.

Bild is baying for a similar "confession" from BFJ.

[ 09.05.2007, 13:39: Message edited by: ursus arctos ]

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

So, Valverde.

There have been rumours that he has been involved in Puerto since the start, and on Monday L'Equipe publised a story saying Caisse d'Epargne (the savings bank, not the team) had told the team to get to the bottom of this. Marca runs a story yesterday in which the CdE spokeswoman denies this, then RAI announces during yesterday's stage of the Giro that the Spanish police have "confirmed Valverde's involvement in Operacion Puerto".

He's still riding, but I would be very surprised if he starts le Tour.

Oh, and the German Press Association has just reported that two unidentified CSC riders have failed doping tests administered by the team. Please let it not be Schleck and Cancellara.

The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Valv.Piti" always looked deeply suspicious, didn't it?

And Scarponi's no great surprise.

Basso, though, eh? Part of me still wanted him to be innocent.

But a much bigger part of me wants his Giro win stripped, and Gutierrez struck off too, giving Il Gibo a third Maglia Rosa...

As with Big Jan; thanks for the memories, Ivan, it was great while it lasted. Now, fuck off.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

So, the Lemond/Landis story.

This just may be the most bizarre development in the history of a sport that does not lack for the surreal.

More.

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC