This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Cheats never prosper? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Cheats never prosper?
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's off to Discovery then. It's good to have a team to hate in sport.
Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were relatively new companies making a push into consumer markets with potentially broad appeal and needed to build brand recongnition.

That's why the original sponsors of the "American" team were 7-11, then Motorola, I guess.

Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Discovery deny having made him an offer.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/oct06/oct28news

And now the Spaniards appear to have dropped all charges against everyone.

Fuuuuuuck.

McQuaid says he'll try and ban'em all anyway. Fair fucks to him, but all I see on the horizon is interminable court-battles, and everyone ending up with Lance-style "complete exonerations".

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was too depressed to post that from the US.

Reading an interview with Vino in l'Equipe about his plans to win le Tour have cheered me up a bit, however. Though the fact that Sainz is claiming that he still has control over Vino's contract is too despicable for words.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

Bettini's blotting his copybook somewhat, saying DNA testing is only appropriate for serial killers.

Time for a reluctant name change, I think.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I presume that was in response to one of the Puerto riders producing a DNA sample voluntarily in order to "clear his name".

I am also concerned that Italy is not producting world class riders fast enough to keep up with your name changes. You may need to broaden your horizons; Cancellaria would seem an obvious first choice should you decide to do so.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

I was also looking backwards; Gimondi will be next in line, I think.

It was partly in repsonse to that, and partly in response to Patrick Lefevere, on behalf of the association of pro teams, accepting DNA tests subject to the riders' agreement.

As a matter of fact I think there are important potential issues regarding privacy arising from DNA testing; I don't think it's open and shut at all. But Bettini's comments appear to be blustering, rather than a well-motivated concern about, say, blackmail over paternity suits.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Bettini is great, but is not exactly known for the sophistication of his arguments on complex issues.
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This just very depressing.
Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

The Gazzetta is quoting Lance as saying that Basso's transfer to Discovery Channel is a done deal.

Three years, USD 2 million; they are only waiting for Ivan to get back from Japan (where he is at a trade fair) to make the announcement.

Member # 465

Meanwhile, the new Tinkoff team is offering juicy big contracts to both Tyler Hamilton, whose ban is now over, and Jan Ullrich.

But only on the humanitarian basis of concern for their psychological wellbeing if they can't race again.

In better news, Il Piccolo Principe has redeemed my name-change by coming out in favour of DNA testing.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Ticked off seems more appropriate.

One of the Russians (can't remember which one) just signed a contract with "your friends" at Amore & Vita that is supposed to be the first that explicitly requires DNA tests.

It is going to be interesting to see the reaction to Basso at Milan-San Remo. I am afraid that the commentary here so far as all been along the lines of "Well, with Armstrong and Bruynel behind him, he'll walk the Giro and Tour".

I think I need to get some Kazakh stuff to hang out our windows.

Member # 465

Unless the Grand Tours and the UCI come to an agreement very very quickly, I honestly can't see ASO letting him start the Tour.

Obviously, there's a great deal of wishful thinking behind this...

Then again, perhaps he's innocent. I mean, who doesn't consult gynaecologists in Madrid over their dog's health?

Still no luck tracking down an A&V jersey. Maybe this season's will be nicer/more available.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

They don't get advertised in Bicisport, either.

And I have never been able to find a cycling shop in Vatican City. . .

Still keeping an eye out, though.

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC