This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Cheats never prosper? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Cheats never prosper?
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you find one Ursus let me know.

How does DNA testing work then? Is it foolproof or just more foolproof than existing methods of detection?

Is that what Basso said about his dog?
Good for Cunego btw.

Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know you guys are always on the top of my list for the latest in Vatican-sponsored cycling tat.

I figure I can get a 500 post thread out of it if I ever find some.

My understanding of the DNA testing point is that it would allow the testers to conclusively tie a particular rider to a particular blood sample, which would have been very useful with the gynecologist's refrigerator. Same goes for used syringes.

Basso's alleged code name in the Puerto records was that of his dog.

BTW, T-Mobile are now saying that Discovery violated a gentlemen's agreement among Pro Tour teams not to sign anyone implicated in Puerto.

Milan-San Remo is going to be great.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Basso's alleged code name in the Puerto records was that of his dog.

I did know about this, but has Basso actually said that he consulted the doctor about his dog?
Chutzpah.

Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, he says the dog was actually called something else.

At least, his lawyer does. His neighbours say otherwise, apparently.

(actually, I made the neighbours bit up. unfortunately.)

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

I'd heard it was the neighbours as well.
Well, his butcher actually.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Gazzetta says that BFJ is talking to Saiz about a contract for next year (Saiz still maintaining that Astana's Pro Tour place is rightfully his).

And Rijs is proposing the "most comprehensive anti-doping initiative in the history of cycling", based on 800+ out of competition tests and led by a Dane who worked on a similar effort thought to have largely cleaned up cross-country skiing.

Surely Bjarne knows doping . . .

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Potential loophole for Landis.

http://www.startribune.com/503/story/812981.html

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

I saw that in Le Monde this morning and was too depressed to post it.

This could turn into Hamilton redux.

Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How dim are the folk who work in labs? Janik?
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

That kind of error doesn't strike me as dim, but rather the result of someone who is bored, tired and/or inattentive.

Which is not terribly surprising if they are labelling a thousand or so vials a day (particularly if they get a positive only once a month).

Still terribly unfortunate, though.

Member # 465

In fairness, this shouldn't help outside the court of (US) public opinion, though, should it?

There's no suggestion that by putting the wrong number on, they somehow got the wrong B sample to compare the A to.

It's just water-muddying, and ad hominem smearing of the lab.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

I think that is probably right, but would need to know more about the nature of challenges available.

He would stand a chance of winning a US jury trial on the grounds of reasonable doubt, I'm afraid.

"If the number's wrong, I must be sprong"

or something like that. . .

Member # 465

Yeah, but it's a USADA hearing, I think, rather than a court case as such.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

He may have grounds to seek to enjoin or overturn the USADA process. . .
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC