This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » RL Tri-Nations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RL Tri-Nations
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Truly great game this morning with GB really taking it to the Kangaroos.

Anyone who missed this - I'm guessing most of you - have another chance to see the highlights of the best hour and half of sporting action of the year on Sunday Grandstand tommorow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/6112502.stm

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Britain traditionally beat Australia in the opening game of any three-match series, don't they? Then lose the deciding one.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes, but this isn't really a three match series. Although it could become one, if you see what I mean.
Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, TC. I'm looking to Great Yorkshire Lancashire, and that Irish lad with the mullet, giving the convicts a good hiding [Wink]
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard this on the radio but gutted to miss it live on TV. makes me consider gettign sky.
Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PR7th Heaven
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for PR7th Heaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the most unlikely event that anyone interested in watching this lives in or near Manchester and doesn't have Sky, the Walkabout on Quay St repeated the Australia game at midday on Saturday as live. I presume it will be doing the same for the next two matches.

GB only need a draw with NZ next Saturday to qualify for the final. In truth, Australia's indiscipline was at least as much a contributing factor to GB's win as the Lions' efforts. Mason's two shocking challenges went unpunished at the time, although he will surely be banned for laying Fielden out with a beamer of a right hook. However the sheer number of penalties which Australia conceded meant they tired towards the end of the game and didn't have it in them to push in the final 10 minutes as they did in their two previous games. I did enjoy the way the Lions went all out to win, running every penalty except one (which we missed anyway). If only union was played like that it might even be worth watching occasionally.

Posts: 906 | From: The other end of Stretford | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An amazing result. Congratulations to the pommies.

After Mason dropped that dude and then head-highed the halfback, I wanted the Brits to win.

They'll probably get flogged in the final though.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mouldy Old Dough
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Mouldy Old Dough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fantastic performance and an incredible result.

Any win in Sydney is memorable but given the build up in the press down under (any new soundbites for us this week Phil Gould?!) and against the backdrop of Masons assaults and the Aussies all round indiscipline this ranks as one of the finest.

Posts: 316 | From: Walking down Sheepfoot Lane | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Sticky Stuart as coach, anything could happen. It wouldn't surprise me if the Aussies didn't win the tournament.

Stuart seems to suck the confidence out of any team he coaches. I think he means well, but is just way too intense. Sport's meant to be enjoyable, but Stuart turns it into a chore.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No analysis - lots of teeth gnashing and wrist slitting on Sky yesterday, much annoyance at the part time coach and the amateurish setup.

I thought this was the true professional code?

No smugness - christ my lot aren't doing much better, but I'm not sure I see the same levels of concern amongst followers of XIII that were getting regarding England's plight in Rugby.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

Not on OTF you don't, and RL is seriously under-represented in the London-centric media, but League fans throughout the country are as vocally passionate about their game as anyone.
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
England's plight in a nutshell by one of their pundits on the BBC yesterday:

'It's not fair. The Irish RU dictate to their provinces who to play and when. But our club sides have to make money, so they exhaust the players. Ain't nationalised industries great?'

That Neil Best (Ireland flanker, MoM v the Joeys) looks seriously frightening...

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

Did anyone catch Australia's extra-time win over NZ in yesterday's Tri-Nation final?

You really, really should have done. Sport of the very highest calibre.

GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a great winning try, it had drama, but I though the amount of errors and made it lack any sort of real rhythm.

I have to concede that watching these two tear into each other is pretty impressive, especially when the only RL you see is Superleage, but it reminded me of the 2003 final, lots of earnest toil, some real moments of class and a haeartstopping finale, but my god, the basic skills....some of those botched drop goals for a start.

And I see the NZ RL team and just think - not good enough for the All Blacks.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC