This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Cheating - or just good play? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cheating - or just good play?
Paul S
Member # 75

- posted      Profile for Paul S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fascinating situation has just occured in the Tom Ripon Essex League. The situation involves a club near the top of the Essex league, one High Roding, and their signing of a player - Tino Best, the West Indies fast bowler.

This is a man who can bowl in excess of 93mph and is now playing against club cricketers in Essex. It has really caused a lot of problems and provoked a lot of comment in the Essex League - read their messageboard here.

There is an EGM of the Essex league Friday night where there is an amendment to the rules which will prohibit any first class playesr (i.e. county standard or above) from playing in the league for two years since their last top class game.

Personally I am complete agreement with Essex league. I think that what High Roding have done is against all the goodwill of the game. One strand of argument says that if you want the standard of the league to rise then you have to have players like this in and that players will enjoy the challenge. The other part of the argument is that he will injure players and turn some games to farce - and that it isn't within the spirit of the game.

I don't think he should be allowed to play. Any other thoughts?

Posts: 2400 | From: Plastered over the Maplin Sands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the other teams have pros? What standard are they? There's a tradition (maybe more in the north) of teams having a pro, preferably a quick bowler who can throw the bat as well, and games turning into a battle between the pros. If this sort of thing happens in the Essex league, then I can't condemn a team for signing Best. If not, then it is a bit silly really.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kuhisek
Member # 1762

- posted      Profile for kuhisek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that when you play cricket at any level, you try to choose your level according to your own ability, and hope to have a good time playing against those of similar ability. You're not looking to "test yourself" - I assume most people in that league don't still harbour hopes of eventually having a first-class career. I imagine that, for players in that league, suddenly having to face someone like Tino Best is just dangerous.
Posts: 944 | From: the gutter, staring at the tsars | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Houdi Elbow
Member # 126

- posted      Profile for Houdi Elbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going back a few years, both Michael Holding and Joel Garner played in the Lancashire League.

I played briefly for a small Essex village team. One of their players told me that one day in a previous season most games had been rained off and their oppo were the 3rd XI of one of the bigger clubs. An Aussie guy had just arrived at this club and insisted on a game, so the village team ended up facing Merv Hughes.

Posts: 879 | From: ATV Land | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Lancashire League has had an amazing list of professional players over the years - I remember Sobers and Lloyd playing in the league in order to gain whatever residence qualification they needed in those days to be able to play county cricket.

Didn't the Lancashire League use 8-ball overs until recently?

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about that, but certainly a huge number of great players played in the various Lancashire leagues. Tino Best would not be out of place there. In fact, he probably wouldn't even be the best quick bowler. But the Essex league, I imagine the pros were more unproven young lads who came over for experience and some bar work.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Current list of Lancashire League professionals. A couple of familiar names there.
Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

I wouldn't fancy bowling to Craig McMillan much. But that isn't as good as the old days, as you'd expect seeing there's so much more international cricket.
Andy C
Member # 51

And S.F.Barnes, by some accounts the greatest bowler of all time*, played for England while a League professional.

* I mean to say, just look at those averages towards the foot of the linked page.

Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

He's a bit of an oddity in that he wouldn't have the feudalism of county cricket. It's surprising more players didn't do that.
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Learie Constantine is another one, isn't he? Played for WI while the club pro at Nelson.

quote:
There is an EGM of the Essex league Friday night where there is an amendment to the rules which will prohibit any first class playesr (i.e. county standard or above) from playing in the league for two years since their last top class game.
Is that legal? Both the club and the player would surely have a good "restraint of trade" case.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mouldy Old Dough
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Mouldy Old Dough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Learie Constantine is another one, isn't he? Played for WI while the club pro at Nelson.

Yes he did. CLR James describes his experiences in "Beyond a Boundary".
Posts: 316 | From: Walking down Sheepfoot Lane | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

I think Everton Weekes was another.
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Constantine bowled "fast leg-theory" for a season or two, I think, before MCC restricted the number of fielders behind square-leg. That must have been interesting for club players, on club pitches, without helmets.

But did you hear them bleating? No. Bunch of Southern jessies.

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PR7th Heaven
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for PR7th Heaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The school I went to is right next door to East Lancs CC. When I was there, our PE teacher was Bob Ratcliffe, who I believe played for Lancashire and England. I'm pretty sure he played for East Lancs as well.

The Northern League also uses pros although I've no idea how good any of them are. Stephen John, who I think is Pakistani, played for Chorley for a number of years.

Posts: 906 | From: The other end of Stretford | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC