This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Cheating - or just good play? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cheating - or just good play?
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really must read Beyond A Boundary.

Nelson had MacDonald before Constantine, I think.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd let him play, but restrict his run-up. We had a couple of fast bowlers of first-class standard at University, and while they were allowed to let loose the hounds of hell when playing for the First XI, when it came to matches between Halls (involving batsmen of the calibre of, er, me), they applied a similar rule to this, making them effectively bowl seam. One guy, Rob, could still bowl faster than anyone else I've ever faced, even off a ten-pace run-up.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defensive-minded
Member # 493

- posted      Profile for Defensive-minded     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it. Isn't it part of any team game to have your best players available play. And if he's that good, isn't it a boost for the league. If a pro would play in our league (football), I would relish the opportunity to play against him and not think "Oi, this is unfair".

Just two questions:
1. Why is he playing in such a low league?
2. Aren't any teams from higher leagues interested in signing him?

Posts: 972 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a personal connection with Nasser Hussain's brother, who is associated with the club. I imagine that he's only available for a relatively short time, so a club in the Lancashire leagues would prefer someone available for the whole season.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy Potger
Member # 1315

- posted      Profile for Guy Potger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stop whining you soft southern shandy-drinking nesh twats.

There's no problem signing a professional for your club.

Now get over it.

Edit - 'kinell. Triple post.

[ 28.05.2007, 16:35: Message edited by: Guy Potger ]

Posts: 2834 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really must read Beyond A Boundary.
Oh Christ yes. I had no idea you hadn't. Rectify this error at once, Tubby. You may or may not like it or agree with its contents, but it's essential reading for you; you more than anyone else I know.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul S
Member # 75

- posted      Profile for Paul S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The league passed the amendment and Tino Best did not play. The argument about him causing injury to batsmen is a good one and the T Rippon league is to stay an amateur one. However, after all that safety bollocks one of the batsmen swiped a ball towards square leg and the umpire -who was unable to get out of the way in time - was knocked out for ten minutes. Ambulance called, umpire eventually recovered, but was taken home by one of the players.

The match played I played in finished as a draw. I got 44 not out - my highest ever.

Posts: 2400 | From: Plastered over the Maplin Sands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

I think the safety argument is key as well. Am I right in saying rugby union has some rules to prevent people of different standards playing together to prevent injury. I think my school had to look at house matches for this reason, and it scrapped house 2nd XV rugby where you used to get the biggest disparities.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC