This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Club Rugby stuff 2007-2008 (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Club Rugby stuff 2007-2008
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As GIK said, he didn't cover himself in glory as a full back - Hodgson saw he was dodgy under the high ball and bombed the hell out of him. Wasps lost.

They might follow the route they took with Wilkinson - 10 minutes on the wing, then ease him in. However, I don't think his defence is good enough for 12. Again, of the tyros, Lamb is the current one I'd take, if I was going to. Geraghty's still injured. However, I'd start with Wilkinson and have Hodgson on the bench. But I suspect they'll go 10 Wilkinson 12 Flood and not bother with a bench 10 as Flood can cover.

I'm just worried that England's full back problems will lead to a recall for Balshaw...

Scuttlebutt is that Edwards will be offered an England post of some sort.

I've now seen the Quins' try. Comedy gold. Box kick over the top, Shaun Perry, standing in at full back, lets the ball bounce, thinking to catch it as it comes back down, Tom Williams nips in and pinches it out of his hands and goes in under the posts.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it would appear that for England, Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

What a progressive and daring bunch the RFU are.

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pool 5 continues to thrill. Munster dragging themselves back into the mix with a dogged 2nd half which probably does for CA's chances. Wasps still in pole, but it's going to be tight next week.

Elsewhere delighted to see BO get the stuffing they deserve, only shame was that it was at the hands of the odious saracens, a side I really cannot warm to.

And Leicester folding badly in Edinburgh....poor from them.

So - two teams from Pools 1 & 2, 3 is pretty open, Sarries from 4, Wasps in 5, christ knows in 6, probably Toulouse.

Still a lot to play for. Great stuff.

Meanwhile Sale continue to think that a game lasts for 40 minutes, dreadful first half against Petrarca, but clinical and effective in the second. It was a fringe side, with no real 10 on the pitch, but once the backs remembered to run straight and hard, the Italians struggled badly.

Lovely to see Nicky Little again though. Great player, great bloke.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only saw Ospreys v Gloucester but it was a corker. Sheets of rain and a real monstering by the Ospreys pack, excellent stuff.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Viadana gave Glasgow a game in the rain, mud and fog (sunny Italy, indeed), but came up just short. The Italians continue to be outclassed in both competitions, especially away from home.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

Peel to Sale at the end of the season. I'd say that's the nail in the "Wales only" policy.

Good signing for Sale and for Wales - Peel looks stale at Llanelli and the club get a good player. Not encouraging for the young English scrum halves at the club, though.

GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Munster vs Wasps turned out to be a bit of a squib....never thought Wasps were in it, the result flattered them, especially with the decisive try being so late in the game. Hats off to the Muster old guard, but the hideous half backs and the midfield were the real difference, especially when the Wasps lineout got butchered.

Cardiff impressed against a limited bristol, whilst Toulouse look the real deal, and along with the winners of Gloucester vs Munster look likliest winners.

Nice progress from Saracens and Irish too.

Lovely to see a final eight without the English giants, Stade and BO, Leinster....and the tournament looks all the more open for it. Would have enjoyed Clermont going through, but its a great last 8 and it proves that the new format works, seeing the same 6 sides dominate is pretty dull.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saracens v Ospreys
London Irish v Perpignan
Gloucester v Munster
Toulouse v Cardiff Blues

Which 6 sides did you view as the dominant ones, GIK? Munster and Biarritz were the only 2 to have made all the last 5 QFs, and in addition to them only Leicester and Leinster had also made the all last 3 QFs?

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

Wasps, Leicester, Stade, BO, Toulouse, Munster and I suppose Leinster (ok...thats 7) are the real European elite.

Only two of them in the last eight. It's great.

Imagine the Champions League QFs without Real, Milan, Man Utd, Chelsea, Barca. Great stuff.

Eggchaser
Member # 921

Bloody Quins. Hopeless.

Even more annoying was Sky's failure to show the one try we managed. You would have thought that a show aimed at English viewers showing highlights of an English club might have found time to offer a shred of comfort to us rather than dwell on the glories of say, Connacht vs. Brive, as exciting as it was...

GIK
Member # 40

Any predictions for tonight Eggy?

Revenge mission for Sale? Can Quins raise themselves?

Have to say, all doesn't seem well in our camp, but still fancy that the XV named to start are more than capable of doling out a fair pasting.

Eggchaser
Member # 921

Sale 23-7 Quins.

Dumb, Dumber and Shaggy ripped us to shreds last night on Rugby Club. And rightly so.

However, I expect the Danny Care and Adrian Jarvis combination to look better than anything else we've managed this season.

Just as long as it's not a reverse of Mehrten's farewell for us I'll be happy.

The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clontarf almost certain of a playoff spot again. Maybe this will be the year.

It has to be said, we absolutely fucking rule Dublin.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

Spooky...Wasps vs Sale called off, 5 mintes prior to kick off.

Wasps never wanted to play during the 6Ns, the pitch was "freezing" (and the undersoil heating hadn't been turned on), and the temperature was never seen to dip below 7C.....A mate of mine said that it was still muddy in the corners and was easily taking a stud...

Eggchaser
Member # 921

Oooh, Barkley to Glaws next season. I wonder what Anthony Allen thinks.

Although perhaps he may be going to try and nail down the 10 shirt. In which case, Paterson may be leaving.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC