This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  42  43  44   
Author Topic: The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've decided that the current one is too long, and so I've started up a new one. I'll let the punters be the judge of this - if you all stick with the "bizarre hockey news" one I'll obviously bow to your will. But I thought a new season ought to merit a new thread.

So, Sport Club Miercurea Ciuc are on their way to Poland after a crushing series of victories here in Group A of the Continenta Cup, beating Puigcerda (Spain - I presume Catalunya somewhere), Kocaeli (Turkey) and Mladost (Croatia) by 13-2, 10-4 and 8-1 respectively. We now go on to Group D (Group A was kind of a preliminary round) to face Podhale Nowy Targ (Poland), Yunost Minsk (Belarus) and Kazzinc-Torpedo (Kazakhstan) in October. I have the feeling that the Kazakhs are liable to clean up in this group in the way that Sport Club did here.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of links to the new NHL uniforms here.
http://www.uniwatchblog.com/

The "apron stripes" on several of the new designs looks like shit. The new Oilers is the worst. Well, second worst, I guess. Vancouvers is the worst. St. Louis' is pretty poor.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, I'm afraid to say I really like the Vancouver thing. The St. Lou or the Oilers isn't that bad, either. It's the soccer jerseyization of hockey sweaters, which is probably a direct result of adidas buying reebok (which had no business of buying Koho to begin with.)

That road Atlanta Thrashers though, Whollllleee Jeeeezus. WTF WTF WTF WTF is that F'n sleeve ? It's like the worst nightmare out of Chinese knockoff hell. I mean those ugly ass knockoffs at the flea market with those goofy lettering with loose strings in the embroidery type of shits. That was so horrible, so awful, so smelly and stank...that I may have to get one.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do Atlanta and Dallas have the city name on the home jersey but not the away version? Is there a mass outbreak of amnesia at home games causing everyone to forget where they live?
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would welcome amnesia if I lived in either place.

JV once again shoots and scores with his description of the Thrashers' monstrosity.

And WTF with the goofy "shirt tail" design that makes horizontal stripes at the bottom of the sweater look misplaced? I know understand why the Leafs dropped the stripes, but cannot fathom why Reebok would introduce a template that screwed up nearly everyone's design scheme and will make anyone wearing a replica look dumb. And don't get me started on the apron strings.

But EvilC, you can come out of hiding now. In a real turnup for the books, Wirtz hasn't ruined the Black Hawks' sweater. He's losing his touch.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh! I think he knows that if he did that, it would be the final straw and that torch-bearing hordes would siege and then incinerate the UC.

The only crimes that have been committed against the Indianhead were about 6 or 7 years ago, when someone brought out fan versions of the sweater in yellow, green and - worst of all - powder blue!!! I must look for images of them, later.

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To get back to Ad Hoc's European adventure, my recollection of the Kazakh team we saw at the Olympics was that they virtually all played for Russian clubs. If that is generally true of the country's top players, his local boys may not be as outmatched as he fears.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not the Hawks' powder blue sweater I was looking for, but holy crap, dude!!! That Rivermen sweater burnt an image onto my retinae in about half a second! There's some truly awful crimes against hockey style on that page. I just can't imagine Alain Nasreddine* wearing that Gulls sweater ...at least not without taking out his wrath on the kit manager after each game!

I think I need some Ibuprofen and a lay down, now.

(edit: * - Samy Nasreddine ...sorry!)

[ 18.09.2007, 14:34: Message edited by: evilC ]

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

You might want something stronger than Ibuprofen.

-

evilC
Member # 1312

Hmmm... That's a bit crap, but it could have been alot worse. Why turn the Indianhead 'monochrome', though? That's just silly!
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

It's a "girl's fashion jersey".

I really don't know who buys these things, but they are quite widespread:

-

jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was scared for a second, as I saw Mike Haviland (formerly of Kelly Cup-winning Trenton Titans) wasn't coach of the Blackhawks' AHL Norfolk Admirals anymore. Not only that, but the Admirals were now with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

However, after 12 grueling seconds of digging and hard investigative work, I saw that he was still the Blackhawks' AHL coach as they moved their team to Rockport. Yes, they're known as the Rockport IceHogs. Sad days indeed.

(And what's with every team needing "Ice" in front of their name ? What's next, the Arsenal GrassGunners ? The Liverpool SoddinReds ?)

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bogzilla
Member # 6317

- posted      Profile for Bogzilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The red Hawks jersey is a thing of great beauty. I was worried they were going to murder it, but no, finally the organisation have got something right. Or at least, not got it wrong.
Posts: 435 | From: An office | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a bit of cheer for me tonight, after our 8-2 home win against Basel (described as very weak but they lost only on penalties and sudden death against Davos and the Lakers) after having been mugged by Davos at home 2-1 and having lost, as usual away to Lakers Rapperswill (we quite simply never beat that lot for some reason...)
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of pictures from the Ambri-Lugano derby yesterday:

-

-

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  42  43  44   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC