This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  42  43  44   
Author Topic: The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Google one is absolutely brilliant.

[For anyone who needs a translation: the search is for "Lugano", and the response is "Did you mean shit?"]

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that the benches are protected from projectiles from above (or the rain perhaps?) I've never seen that before in a hockey arena.

The Google ad-banner is class.

Too bad we don't have those sorts of banners in North America. I think they'd be considered some sort of hazzard.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The covering on top of the benches is not uncommon in Europe, to the point where I really don't notice it anymore.

It isn't just to keep the players from getting stuff thown at them; there is also a heating element. Believe it or not, there are top division rinks in Europe that aren't just unheated, but are open to the elements on the ends (there is a roof, but it doesn't go all the way down).

Ambri's is one of those:
 -

And lower division teams in Italy commonly play outside.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I played in some rinks a bit like that when I was a kid. There was one in York where a hard high shot that missed the goal could easily end up out on the fairway of the ajoining golf course. Fortunately, the seasons for hockey and golf don't overlap much.

I don't really get that. It seems that going just a bit further to make it truly indoors would extend the useable season for the ice enough to justify the extra cost.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ambri-Piotta is in an alpine valley at a 1000m of altitude, you do understand the meaning of "cold" when you go to see a game there in deep winter, when the wind blows the snow in. Thank god they have great "cafe correto"....
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

Snow blowing in was a problem with those rinks I played in. It would start to form small drifts in the corners of the ice and the puck would sometimes get stuck in the snow.

Is hockey only popular in the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland, or nation wide?

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Very much nationwide.

Bern has a NHL quality rink.

Reed
Member # 55

I see. It just seems that the banners our cheesy friend posts pictures of are always in Italian.

BTW, Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat means, more or less, "Egg McMuffin" in French, does it not?

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Because they do the best tifos.

It isn't an Egg McMuffin, it's more what the likes of Bob Evans would call a "skittle dish", with a basis of bread, cheese and wine, with an egg on top.

There's a picture of it on the "where does your name come from" thread.

Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is far wider and fairer spread of clubs at the top level in ice hockey than football:

2 Swiss-Italian
2 Swiss-French
1 Rumantsch (well not really, Davos inhabitants are Swiss-German speakers but they are part of Graubunden which is where the Rumantsch are)
7 Swiss-German

All rinks at top level are enclosed with a variable amount of sitted and standing sections, aside from Ambri-Piotta. Lugano, Rapperswill, Basel and Zurich all have new or recently upgraded rink whilst Geneva and Bern are about to have theirs upgraded.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

"It isn't an Egg McMuffin, it's more what the likes of Bob Evans would call a "skittle dish", with a basis of bread, cheese and wine, with an egg on top.

I don't see what the wine is for in that context.

I looked it up. According to babelfish, the proper translation of an Egg McMuffin is "fortement traité oeuf et fromage sur un petit pain anglais des Mcdonalds."

Member # 19

You mix the egg and cheese with white wine as well as sprinkling some wine on the bread base.

The picture below sums up a few things about Switzerland, a couple of players (the blond chaps is Jurag Kolnik, NHL completists might have heard about him), the manager and board staff, the usual little girls in a tent during the "Fete des Vendanges" in Russin, a small village in the Genevan countryside where the main activity is wine production. The lady however is called Micheline Calmy-Rey and her day job is to run the foreign ministry of Switzeland as well as being the actual President of the Confederation.

-

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Reed, my brain simply cannot process the phrase "I don't see what the wine is for".
Member # 19

Our tifo for the opening game of the season against Davos, in two parts:

-
 -

[ 20.09.2007, 10:16: Message edited by: Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat ]

Reed
Member # 55

I don't really care for wine in food, especially not sprinkled on my breakfast.
  This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  42  43  44   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC