This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread (Page 23)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  42  43  44   
Author Topic: The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking more in terms of the origins of the terminology than in the accuracy of its current use.

The new multiplicity of "nations" would seem to echo the US trend for "new" tribes to be recognised, some of which are considered to be the legal successors to tribes that had previously been thought to have "disappeared". That trend is primarily driven by the unique legal status of Native American tribes under US law, and especially the opportunities to conduct gambling operations available to recognised tribes in several US states.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coffy
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Coffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio, would Bryan Trottier count as a First Nation player? He was pretty good in his day.
Posts: 3014 | From: where the action is | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good one. I'd forgotten about him.

But Trottier is Metis, I think, so "Aborginal" but not "First Nations".

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even assuming 15 teams in Canada - which I think would be hard to create give the territorial fights and the existing loyalty issues described above - I can't see a situation in which that league would not want to combine with a league that had the good US markets.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We'll take the original four US teams, but no more.

Can't have too much riff-raff.

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woah, Trottier is Metis? Does he speak Michif? It is one of the world's most unique languages. Whereas basically every language incorporates stuff from other tongues, Michif is systematic about it, using French nouns and Cree verbs. It's like they spliced the languages together, rather than mixing them (if that makes sense). It's also dying pretty rapidly as far as I know.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

Since there are only about 1,000 michif speakers out of 300,000 metis, I'm going to go out on a limb and say "no". But I suppose it's not completely out of the question.

While we're at it, Theo Fleury and Wade Redden are apparently both metis as well.

Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On sunday I was privilleged to see GSHC beat Bern 4-2 in a fast and furious game. Full house, my wife and I found a little corner at the right of the lower terracing, where our "kop" is and despite being squeezed a tad, the view wasn't too bad. Bern went for the jugular straight away, scoring quickly and the first fight took a couple of minutes into the game. Their plan was to take advantage of our exertions away to Kloten the day before (3-2 OT win with 6 secs to spare...) and in past seasons we would have crumbled. Not this time, every hit and every heavy charge was paid back in kind, even attackers not noted for their physicality like Kolnik went at it with gusto. A further incentive for scoring was the "cuddly toy" charity operation, a mass throwing of teddy bears and the likes on the ice straight after GSHC first goal.

It came quickly in the 2nd third and the mixture of noise and objects flying on the ice from every angle was quite amazing. After the break to clear the ice, the game gained in intensity, with Bern using their superior physical presence to bully us but the 2nd third ended with us 2-1 up. The last third was tense, less noise up until the 3-1 went in, not even the 3-2 5 minutes before the end dented the enthusiasm on and off the ice and when the 4th and final goal went in, in the empty net, the sound of 6700 people (minus 500 Bern fans...) celebrating must have been heard a few kms around.

Couple of links, one showing the video of the game and loads of pictures of the day. The other is about the team two days off in the mountains, one of our mains sponsors being a ski station and what players though, mainly light training, have walks in the snow to admire the scenery as well as learn to milk a cow and try the local farm food (lucky buggers...). Even our very serious coach seems quite fond of the cows...

Game

Cows

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very jealous, croute. We need to get our act together.

Meanwhile, Old Time Hockey a la Russe.

378 penalty minutes; it appears that there may be some bad blood between AK Bars (in white at home) and Traktor Chelyabinsk.

Amor may recognise former Canuck Mika Noronen as the bloodied but unbowed goalie.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

Typical Europeans. See how long it takes for most of them to drop their gloves after a fight starts?

Amateurs. Bring back the WHA.

Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amor may recognise former Canuck Mika Noronen as the bloodied but unbowed goalie.

Ah yes, the hero of our 05 home defeat to Nashville a couple of seasons ago. Who could forget.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

Well, he was beat up and bleeding . . .
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's unlikely to impossible that kind of bench-clearer could happen in the current NHL. Did it used to happen in Russia during the Soviet era? Seems to me the word back then was it didn't. Is this a one off or common in the Russian game these days? If such bouts are frequent, why would that be?
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

From what I've read, it was the greatest brawl in Russian hockey history, and is not at all common. But fights are more common than in the Soviet era, and they blame the North American influence, both in terms of guys coming back and television.

Were it to happen in today's NHL, both teams would have to forfeit a bunch of games, because the resultant suspensions would cause them to be too short of players to play.

Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

Of course, none of this compares to the Granddaddy of Hockey Brawls
  This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  42  43  44   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC