This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  42  43  44   
Author Topic: The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to be pretty robust to enjoy a "croute" in the morning...
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could see its appeal after a February quadruple overtime game in Ambri and the long coach trip back to la Suisse-Romande.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some big upheavals this year in ice hockey here. Firstly the Romanian league has gone from 6 teams to 8 - adding a new team in Brasov and "Sportclub II" which strikes me as being faintly ridiculous, having a reserve side in the same division as the main team.

Also HC Csikszereda, who are the other team from the town, have entered the Hungarian league this year to join Sport Club. I have absolutely no idea how they're going to schedule the ice rink since in effect it now has to host the Romanian league games of 3 teams and the Hungarian league games of 2. Plus cups and stuff. I reckon there are more games that will have to be played there than there are days in the winter.

It's also tricky linguistically - in the Romanian league Sport Club are listed as Sport Club Miercurea Ciuc and HC as HC Csikszereda, so making it easy to distinguish them. In the Hungarian league though they are HC and SC Csikszereda. Which is less easy (I have no idea why they are SC Csikszereda, by the way, as technically SportClub in Hungarian is SportKlub, so they've only altered the city name and not the prefix)

Meanwhile, Alba Volan, the best team in Hungary are playing this year in both the Hungarian and the Austrian leagues. It's all a bit confusing. If Rangers and Celtic saw what was going on in Central and South East European Ice Hockey they'd be on it like a ton of bricks

This isn't very interesting is it? Still, I went to see SC Csikszereda beat DAB Extra (Who, I think, are from Budapest) in the Hungarian league last night 6-3. 2-2 after two periods and then DAB fell apart. It was a bit of rubbish game to be honest. However, my knowledge of ice hockey has improved enough to know when matches are a bit rubbish. Which I guess is a good thing.

[ 21.09.2007, 09:09: Message edited by: ad hoc ]

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it was a fun night for Servette supporters tonight, first away game for the new media partner One FM and what a commentary it was, a couple of seemingly pissed blokes whose understanding of hockey is rather limited trying to make sense of a very silly game. GSHC scored 5 in 12 minutes during the second third to win the game 5-3 away to Basel. There was a fight, dropped gloves and all and a French player, the spare part foreigner of a mid-ranking club no less, is now the top scorer in the league, having played 2 out of 4 games. It's like having an Estonian leading the Premiership goal scorers table..."Cult hero" is a very apt description of the Geneva "frouze".

Oh and Langnau, perennial relegation candidates have beaten Davos 6-3 whilst Lugano won away to Bern.

Never a dull moment..

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

7-2 win against Langnau, 20 goals in 3 games, 4 players in the Top 10 and the best attack in the league. Let's enjoy it whilst it last eh!
Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish there was relegation in the NHL.
Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be the only way Hamilton will ever get a team . . .

Ad hoc, the Romanian situation sounds rather insane.

"Our" Milano Vipers have rebuilt, going with a very young team (avg. age 24) in their attempt to get back the title they lost for the first time in seven years last spring. The season starts this weekend, and we will definitely go to a few games. The fact that the league is down to nine teams is a bit of a drag, though.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the American sports, I think relagation/promotion might actually work in hockey if somebody had the right vision to make it work. There are a number of cities with AHL teams that could conceivably support an NHL team if it were there (Hamilton, Houston, Hampton Roads, Winnipeg) and several NHL cities that might be receptive to being in Division II for a while if the prices were commenserate (Washington, Miami, Nashville).
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

That is likely true, though the first huge hurdle would be the whole concept of "farm teams".
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Farm Team" connection in hockey is already fairly weak (unlike baseball). It could easily be replaced by expanding the rosters slightly and introducing the concept of player loans.

I can envision the NHL, AHL and ECHL being replaced by Divisions 1, 2 and 3. Stuff like the UHL or IHL, as it is now called, and the CHL would be the equivalent of "non league."

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

So all of those Hamilton Bulldogs with Canadiens crests on their jerseys aren't actually part of the Habs' system?

I honestly don't know how the AHL "works" anymore.

Member # 19

I think there is a way to accomodate the franchising system with a divisionnal system. Add "parachute" payements like in the Premieship to compensate for relegation and only the worst dross will not manage to go back up whilst only the best lower division team will survive. Or take the Swiss system and nothing will ever change except once every 5/6 years when a second division team has enough backup to beat the losing "playouts" team of the top division...
Reed
Member # 55

UA, they are affiliated, but those AHL affiliations are at least as much about marketing as they are about player development and the ECHL claiming to be "AA" hockey and touting it's relationships with NHL clubs is almost entirely about marketing. Few players from the ECHL ever make any kind of mark in the NHL.

For the most part, the AHL's value to the NHL is as a place to stash the third best goalie, 14th best forward or eighth best defensman, etc, in the organization so they can be called up to the big club in case of injury. There are some guys who work their way up to become an NHL regular after significant time in "The A," but those are usually journeymen or fourth line guys.

It's not at all like the baseball minor league system. The affiliations between the teams at the different levels is much looser and in baseball, even superstars usually spend a few years in the minors. In hockey, the top draft picks usually make the big club right away.

It's not really about player development. Insofar as there is some player development going on at the AHL and ECHL levels, that could be replaced by a good loan system and perhaps having some reserve games - maybe charge $10 a ticket for a late afternoon game at the home team's practice facility.

[ 25.09.2007, 17:53: Message edited by: Reed ]

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

That isn't that different from the way it was 25 years ago; I had been misled by the "marketing" (as well as by the absorption of the old IHL and the presence of teams like the Marlies).

A "playout" series (bottom 2 in NHL vs top 2 in AHL) would seem to be quite attractive, though I guess one needs to think about what happens to the Calder Cup.

Member # 19

Keep the Calder Cup, the winner plays the loser of the NHL playouts for promotion/relegation.
  This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  42  43  44   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC