This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  42  43  44   
Author Topic: The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Works for me, though I would expand the NHL playouts to four teams in that case.

Too bad Gramsci is on his way to Tanzania. I wonder if he cares at all about the Manitoba Moose.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked him about the Manitoba Moose. They didn't exist when he left.

The Moose used to be the Minnesota Moose but moved up to Winnipeg shortly after the Jets left, but long before the Wild moved in, so there was a period of about 7 years when Minnesota had zero professional hockey. Absurd.

The difference now over the way it was a while

ago is that there is only one "AAA" league, the AHL, whereas before there was both the AHL and the IHL. At the time, the AHL had more affiliation with the NHL while the IHL aspired to perhaps actually compete with the NHL (put teams in Detroit and Chicago, for example.) That didn't really work out, obviously.

Also, the ECHL is no longer known as the "East Coast Hockey League" but keeps the initials anyway. It has teams on the west coast, even Alaska. It has won the right, somehow, to call itself the only "AA" hockey league.

Meanwhile, all of those other lower minor leagues have had a lot of turmoil. The UHL folded, but has now reimerged as the IHL (yes, International Hockey League, just to confuse everyone). I think the Central Hockey League may have folded or merged into the new IHL. I don't think there's a PHL anymore.

Meanwhile, junior hockey in the US has simplified a bit. The USHL is desginated as the only Tier I or Tier A or whatever, junior league. So top young players who want to retain their college elibility (which you can't if you play major junior in the OHL, WHL or QMJHL) will shoot for the USHL. There's also the US Junior National Team program - a "hot house" program that is now producing many of the top young players going to play in college for Minnesota, Michigan, Boston U, etc.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a kid, we sometimes went to Long Island Ducks games in the "old" ECHL (or maybe just EHL).

It was pretty much exactly like Slapshot. Guys going over the boards and taking on fans was not at all unusual.

Real old time hockey.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slapshot was about the Charlestown Chiefs, which bear and uncanny resemblance to the Johnstown (PA) Chiefs. Also, coincidentally, Steve Carlson, who not only played one of the Hanson brothers in the film but was one of the Carlson brothers that served as the real life inspiration for the characters, coached the Chiefs for a while.

The Johnstown Chiefs are in the ECHL, and are now perhaps the smallest market in that league.

[ 25.09.2007, 20:43: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe they claim heritage to the Charlestown Chiefs, as when they came to Trenton they had a "Slapshot Night" where people could dress like the Hanson Brothers and shit like that.

The afflilations would crack me up. Basically if someone from the AHL wanted someone from the ECHL, they would get them. No matter what team they're from.

However, being that the Trenton Titans were affiliated with the Flyers and Phantoms, there would be some movement between the Phantoms and Titans.

Now that they're the Trenton Devils, the Devils are going to attempt to make it like a 7,000 advertisement for their Newark Arena team. In that they'll have player signings, discounted tickets if you bring your Trenton ticket to a "real" Devils game, etc.

The ECHL is just goofy enough to not really follow, but the playoffs are real enough to be quite exciting. With Florida being located in Naples, Florida, they always get good players willing to spend a winter on the Gulf Coast. Alaska always has good teams as well, but not for the same reaasons.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

FLASH FOR EVIL C!

It ain't Maggie, but . . .

Reed
Member # 55

It's a great day for hockey.
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers, U.A.! That one's going over on Deathpool 2007 a.s.a.p.!

This means that all you lucky Chicagoans out there might (and I stress 'might' - we've yet to see his will!) finally see home games televised in the area! Welcome to the 20th century!

In a humorously ironic twist, a pop-up Flash ad made a large lizard crawl across the picture as I was reading that article you linked to, U.A.

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

I got the same ad.

I like to think that someone who works on the technical side of the Tribune's website is a die hard Hawks fan.

Bogzilla
Member # 6317

- posted      Profile for Bogzilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christ on a bike! Is it really true? Hawks fans have been running a book on when that old bastard would finally shuffle off for years.

Go Hawks!

Posts: 435 | From: An office | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

But what happens now? His kids will probably inherit it. Will they be any better? Probably not, I would think.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

I would think that they are much more likely to sell it, given that there are five of them.
Reed
Member # 55

It's sort of unseemly to rejoice in another man's death, but if he didn't do anything to earn our respect in life, why should he get it in death?
Reed
Member # 55

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=338385&page=NewsPage&service=page

Bettman can't stop kissing the owners' asses, even dead ones.

[ 26.09.2007, 18:00: Message edited by: Reed ]

Bogzilla
Member # 6317

- posted      Profile for Bogzilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really is hard to believe that the organisation could be anymore abused by whoever else eventually takes charge.

The Hawks have been turned into a laughing stock by that man.

Posts: 435 | From: An office | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  42  43  44   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC