This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread (Page 44)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44   
Author Topic: The 07/08 Ice Hockey Thread
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've been able to find out this morning, the way it appears to have worked this year in Slovenija is as follows.

There was a single Croatian team in the (seven team) league this year, but they weren't eligible for the playoffs (despite finishing second). The two teams that play in Austria were seeded directly into the playoffs (with the top six Slovene teams in the league (aka all of them, which makes the regular season meaningless), and the semi-final including Olimpija has been put on hold pending the Austrian final series (Acroni Jesenice, the other team that plays in Austria, qualified easily for the final). It also looks like Olimpija may have had a second team in the Slovene league (there are two Olimpijas, but with different sponsors), but it is hard to confirm that from the very limited information available.

For Gramsci's benefit, a North American observer used to very long seasons needs to realise that these leagues generally involve 40 games or so (the Slovene one has less than 30).

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on Question Time With Ad Hoc and Ursus, I'll have to ask what is it like following Euro Hockey after the NHL. What is it akin to - moving to a minor league city or moving to something so different that you can't even remember the NHL? What are the pros and cons of the European Leagues vs the NHL (other than, of course, the Italian players being forced to use highway billboards as pads ?) Is there anything you miss about the NHL, or what you'd miss about the European Leagues ? Where were you on the night that Ms. Plum was murdered ?
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Italian standard is so far below the NHL as to be a very different experience (the same goes for arenas that seat 1,000 people, are partially open to the elements, etc.) It wouldn't surprise me if a New Jersey high school all star team could survive in the Italian Serie A. I can't speak for ad hoc, but the standard in Italy is supposed to be higher than that in either Hungary or Romania.

Given that there is essentially no coverage of the NHL here, I miss pretty much everything, though I was thoroughly bored with the NHL regular season while living in the US.

The Swiss League is a much more reasonable standard, and the Russian, Finnish, Swedish (and perhaps Czech) leagues are supposed to be better than Switzerland. The primary advantage would be more open play, encouraged by the larger ice surface and stricter officiating (as well as pretty much no fighting). There used to be a technical skill advantage at the top of the European game, but I think that has disappeared with the number of Euros now in the NHL. But we don't get to see much of those leagues either.

[ 25.03.2008, 12:46: Message edited by: ursus arctos ]

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me jv it's an an entirely different experience - the NHL was (as far as I was concerned) a television league, while the Romanian / Hungarian league is a live one. So while it is clear to me that the standard of play is much lower in the league I now get to see, it's still a step up in experience and fun. There's also a load of other stuff mixed in when you live in a town of 40,000 people which (now) has two major teams (and nothing much else to do at all), and on top of it all the hockey can act as a conduit for inter-ethnic rivalry.

I feel like if I went to actually see an NHL game now I'd be amazed at the quality of the hockey but somehow less involved.

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

I'm sure that is true. One thing that is strange about the Italian league is that Milan is an order of magnitude larger than the next largest city in the league (Bolzano) and several orders of magnitude lareger than the rest (essentially ski towns in the Dolomites).

As a result, there is much less identification between the team and its supporters than there would be in a place like Alleghe, which has something like 1500 permanent residents. The Swiss League has more of a representative sample, with cities like Zurich, Geneva, Basel (for now), Bern and Lugano and small towns like Ambri, though the trend is definitely in favour of the larger places.

Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a pretty good mixture in our hockey league, you have the big cities clubs with a tradition like Zurich, Bern and even Servette who have to battle against the local football clubs and the array of other activities to attract people. You have much smaller places Kloten, Fribourg or Langnau with a more regional identification. Lugano and Davos are small places but have an important glory-hunter element attracted to them (also for Bern but they have a large support from the city, it's very much like ManUtd) and you have oddities like Basel (it's never been a hockey town, football is king) and Ambri/Piotta (two hamlets of 1000 souls together but the entire upper part of canton Ticino and large swathes of canton Uri, a German speaking canton across the Alps no less, are devoted to them).
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can find all the videos from GSHC games here.

User "lurker" as an id and password.

You have a video before the game, one after the game with goal and reactions and then a series of edited videos called "Aux coeurs des playoffs" which are really good. For sheer delight, check out the second one of the 15/3 and the one on the 16/3, game 1 of the semi, when we trailing 3-2 with a bit more than 2min to play...<shivers>

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 44 pages: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC