This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Greatest City of Losers (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Greatest City of Losers
Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard
Member # 1538

- posted      Profile for Fatbastard, Hugh Fatbastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't go into too many details, but I nominate Toronto as one of the greatest 'Cities of Losers' in profesional sport.

Blue Jays - 15 years since they last made the playoffs

Maple Leafs - (now that you've stopped laughing) 40 years without a title. The last time they hoisted the Stanley Cup there were only six teams in the league.

Toronto FC - only in their first year, but already possess longest scoring drought from the start of the season and longest overall scoring drought. The sad bit is that these are two separate achievements. It's not as if they combined the two records.

Raptors - well, to be honest they look to be on the up the way the Blue Jays were in the mid-eighties, but they've achieved nowt in their brief history.

Argonauts - (best name in professional sport and oldest franchise in North America, by the way) Five championships since 1953 in a 9 (sometimes 8) team league.

Toronto Rock of the National Lacrosse League kind of spoil this thread for me as they've won 5 NLL titles since '98, but the University of Toronto football team more than makes up for it after they set the Canadian university record for consecutive losses (now 48).

What's it like where you live ?

Posts: 1243 | From: upon high | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dynamo Kev
Member # 1119

- posted      Profile for Dynamo Kev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Curse of William Penn is an alleged curse, sometimes used to explain the failure of professional sports teams based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to win championships since the March 1987 construction of the One Liberty Place skyscraper, which exceeded the height of William Penn's statue atop Philadelphia City Hall. Since then, no Philadelphia major sports team (baseball, football, basketball, or hockey) has won a league championship.

Atop Philadelphia City Hall stands a statue of William Penn, the city founder and original proprietor of the then-British colony of Pennsylvania (meaning "Penn's Woods"). Under a gentlemen's agreement, no building in the city rose above this statue...

Phillies - 1884-2007 (1 championship 1980)
Eagles - 1933-2007 - No Superbowl wins (though they won the NFL Championship pre Superbowl in 1948, 1949, 1960)
Flyers - 1967-2007 - Stanley Cup winners in 1974 & 1975
76ers- 1939-2007 - Won championship in 1955, '67, '83

So out of 314 or so pro seasons, we've got 9 champions.. And not one since 1983 and not one in the foreseeable future...

*The Phillies were the first pro team to reach 10,000 loses this past year..

*And a few years ago the town was in debate as to whether Smarty Jones would be a legit champion and end the curse after he won the Triple Crown; the debate ended when he lost by a nose..

I rest my case..

[ 14.10.2007, 16:25: Message edited by: Dynamo Kev ]

Posts: 318 | From: the town of birds in the Garden State | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The poorer performing North American cities are going to walk this debate by dint of the fact that the very set-up of the major sports over there is "meant" to guarantee that in a 30-franchise league, in theory each franchise ought to win, on average, once every thirty years, what with salary caps, draft picks, etc.

It's obviously not quite the same in the UK, where the big teams tend to be from the bigger conurbations, and always win most if not all of the trophies.

However, on that basis surely some mention has to go to the city of Birmingham, England's second largest city, which has won no major football trophies since 1996 (despite hosting two or three top-level clubs for most of that period), hasn't won a major Rugby trophy since 1982 (and Moseley, who won that one, have effectively since folded), and whose cricket team (Warwickshire) have won two major trophies in 40 attempts over the last 10 years. Even Birmingham's basketball club has never won a thing.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janik
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Janik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bristol?

The football teams have won nothing serious, ever. In fact they have only competed in about 3 top flight seasons in total in their history.

The rugby club has a proud tradition, but little silverware, with only one knockout Cup won, in 1983. They have also been in and out of the top flight in the last fifteen years, and nearly go bust on more than one occasion.

Gloucestershire cricket had a hot spell around around the millenium, winning a number of one day pots. NatWest Cup/C&G Trophies in '99, '00, '03 & '04, B&H in '99 & '00, National League in '00. A very good run, but one that came as a five year blip after a century of wild underachievement.
They have never won the county championship, despite it being the English sports league most like an American one, i.e. no relegation. Well over 100 goes, no wins, in an event that they were one of the founding eight teams of.
It's not just the full length game where they underperformed, either. Prior to 1999, it was two pots, ever. A Gillette Cup in '73 and a B&H Cup in '77. 2 from 189 tries, when the average strike rate ought to have been more like 12.

Even with the recent run of success, par is yet to be achieved, now up to 9 from 225 tries.

Posts: 6487 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King o' the Rye
Member # 4315

- posted      Profile for King o' the Rye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gloucs CCC had a great team just before the championship was set up, though, and won a number of unofficial titles in that era.

I'm sure there are plenty of county cricket teams with worse records, too.

Posts: 423 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newcastle is worth a mention here, for our road accident of a football club and for the perennially-achieving-less-than-their-budget-ought-to-ensure rugby union side. Mind there's nay cricket or rugby league teams though but.

That's another way in which the English set-up isn't really comparable; the number of cities represented in three major team sports is relatively small, and the ones represented at the top level in football, cricket, union and league are, what, London, Manchester--if you count Salford and Sale--and Leeds?

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incidentally, has it ever happened before that both the NRL and AFL premiership titles have gone to the same state?

Have Victoria any chance in the Pura Cup this season?

[ 14.10.2007, 23:30: Message edited by: Wyatt Earp ]

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would New Orleans count, even though it only has one professional sports team? Every year we held out hope that maybe, just maybe, they would be good, and sometimes they would get so close, only to throw it all away.

I think if you grew up supporting the Saints (or the Boston Red Sox), you learn to accept defeat. You learn to accept that your beloved team will almost always let you down.

And above all, you learn to never bet money on any game in which they are involved, no matter which side you were betting would win.

[ 14.10.2007, 23:29: Message edited by: Femme Folle ]

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raleigh-Durham needs a mention.

Discount the famous A-ball team because - well, it's A-ball.

The Panthers have never won anything. Their pre-decessors in gridiron were the Raleigh-Durham Skyhawks, who played in the inaugural season of the World League of American Football. The Skyhawks went 0-10 before folding in the of-season, making them one of must be a very small number of pro teams never to have won a game.

And yeah, the Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup once. But the city is so stuck in loserdom that no one actually came to watch the team that year (average crowds were in the 8000 range, I seem to recall).

This is the exact inverse of Toronto where the Leafs and TFC can be guaranteed sell-out crowds despite abysmal performances. It totally relieves management of ay responsibility to put a decent product on the field/ice. I swear, owning MLSE is a license to print money...

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm impressed with your knowledge of the WFL, I have to object to your nomination.

The Panthers aren't in Raleigh-Durham. They're in Charlotte, which is about 170 miles away from Raleigh, so they cannot be considered the same sports market. That would be like counting Seattle and Portland as the same. I've driven from DC to Charlotte many times because my brother used to live there and can assure you that the stretch between Durham and Charlotte feels like it lasts about 30 hours.

The Panthers have actually done ok in their relatively short history. They've made one Super Bowl, two NFC Championship games, which is better than several much older franchises.

Besides, Raleigh-Durham cannot count because Duke, UNC, and NC State have all won at least one national basketball championship, which is the most important sport down there.

And the Durham Bulls are now AAA, although they used to be in the Single A Carolina League.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cleveland have won fuck all since the Browns won some NFL Championships in the pre-Super Bowl era, and in the case of the Indians and Cavaliers, went through long stretches of severe crapitude.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did Durham go Triple-A? And I thought about DUke and UNC but figured I was safe since Hugh specified pro sports
Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the answer to this question traditionally Paris?
Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

According to my quick research, they went to AAA in 1998 because when MLB added the Devil Rays and Diamondbacks, the International League had to add two teams so they could have AAA affiliates, the Bulls and the Tuscon Sidewinders, respectively.

The Bulls have won the International League title twice in their 10 seasons in the league.

macocha europy
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for macocha europy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Los Angeles

No NFL team.
LA Kings? hahaha.
Dodgers stolen.
Alright, Angels.
Beckham.
Lackers.

Posts: 7953 | From: Tank Meadow, Munich North | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC