This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » College Basketball 2007-08 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: College Basketball 2007-08
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly my favorite sport. The Tournament is definitely my choice for best sporting event in the world.

Looks like this year will continue the trend of freshmen becoming stars (and probably leaving for the NBA). OJ Mayo, some guys at Syracuse and Indiana whose names I can't remember, and Kevin Love, hopefully UCLA's answer to go beyond getting to the Final Fours and hanging up banner #12 in Pauley. And really, this thread was just an excuse for me to air that hope, and to link to this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe2b6c7Uc_w

I'd hate him if he wasn't one of us, but as it is, I love Bill Walton.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the kid from USC had 33 in his first game.

Rutgers is 3-0. Gotta fatten that record before they have to go to Georgetown.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I heard the kid from USC had 33 in his first game.
Yes, and they lost to Mercer.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William and Mary lost by a mere 15 points to Georgetown at the Verizon Center. I wish I had gone. I considered it but decided it wasn't worth the cost since I don't really like basketball very much. I do try to follow Penn State and William and Mary. They rarely do well so there's only a faint hope of making it to the post-season and neither team is on tv very often.

Georgetown's coach, JT3, was very complimentary of the Tribe. He said it was a tough game against an expererienced team that runs the same offense as Michigan, G'Town's next opponent. I think they've gotten a lot better since when I was there.

[ 14.11.2007, 20:53: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

Some Duke fans think that ESPN is biased against them.

The mind boggles.

Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Penn State beat VT on tv last night! I watched a little.

Still, I can't fathom the popularity of this sport.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

UCLA had a good game last night against George Washington, but really, the guy's been dead for almost 200 years, so it wasn't really a fair fight.
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would have been fair if Steve lavin were coaching.
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

George Washington's newspaper ran a post-game piece that basically reads like an advertisement for UCLA:

quote:
In an 83-60 loss to the No. 2/1 (AP, ESPN/USA Today), 38 percent shooting and 19 turnovers surely factored negatively for the Colonials, but in a building drowned in glory, winning is anything but easy for the visiting team.

Above the court are 16 banners, celebrating some the school's 100 national championships in sports from gymnastics to basketball. For those who cannot read the small print high in the rafters, it is hard to miss the "FIRST to 100 NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS" logo that emblazons the center of the court. UCLA has more NCAA tournament championship (11) than GW has appearances (10), a fact that seemed nearly impossible to ignore.

The fans are so unmistakably in unison in their heckling that they might as well be one giant, booming voice. Each situation seems to have its own choreographed response, from the "Roll Call" before the opening tipoff to the free-spirited dance members of the cheer squad do in the middle of the court after victories. Whereas GW fans stick to what any first-timer can pick up on, such as chanting obscenities after every foul against the Colonials, Bruins fans' traditions are just that - long-standing chants that have been tweaked to perfection.

The whole production produces an aura of entitlement and inevitability that seems to beam, "We're UCLA, you're not. You can't win." Of course, it helps that the team on the court happens to be a collection of some of the most talented players in the country, but in a world where winning is expected, failure does not seem to be a viable option.

GW head coach Karl Hobbs said UCLA's six McDonald's All-Americans are the reason it is so good, but Hobbs had his team stay in a hotel outside of Westwood, closer to the University of Southern California, the Bruins' bitter rival. Perhaps he did it because that was the most accommodating hotel, but Hobbs was more probably trying to delay his young team's exposure to the UCLA aura for as long as possible.

Even UCLA's cheerleaders look to be straight out of America's Next Top Model. It is as if the program does not allow anything less than first class to get near the program, so the opposing teams will not perceive any weakness.

Myself, I've always thought the atmosphere in Pauley is rather disappointing.
Reed
Member # 55

Good lord that's a terrible piece.
Inca
Member # 675

Sorry linus and ursus, but I had to put this up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUH7xYH4_O0

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Early days, Inca; early days.
When do you start wearing blue at home?

And yeah, that is a shockingly poor article, even for GW.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

We're going to wear blue at Pauley?
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. I only saw the score and didn't realise that was at Harmon.

And yes, the huge "Cal" logo at center court should have tipped me off.

I also hate Cal wearing yellow at home (or at all, to be frank).

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

The yellow/gold is kind of lame, I think. Save it for a rare Sunday game or another special occasion--American teams really could learn a thing about marketing the pointless 3rd jersey.

One of the things that made me detest Steve Lavin so much was the introduction of the black jerseys. I considered that to be a fireable offense.

[ 06.01.2008, 22:29: Message edited by: Inca ]

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC