This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » College Basketball 2007-08 (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: College Basketball 2007-08
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Inca, and it seems like your path actually gets easier now.

I don't want to be a dick and spoil everyone's fun, but is this tournament particularly bad from a talent perspective? I used to watch the tournament religiously, but this is the first I've seen since 2002 when Maryland won it, and I am totally underwhelmed. Most of the "good" teams seem pretty mediocre. Is this a down year for college basketball, or have I just turned into a cranky old man who watches the NBA too much?

And again, I mean this strictly from a talent perspective, not on-court drama.

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a criticism going into the tournament--that there wasn't one outstanding team.

Just found out watching postgame from the game from last night that the Division III championship was held, and my grandfather and father-in-law's alma mater, Washington University in St. Louis, won it.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boooo. Wash U is UC's big rival (they are in our athletic conference). They were the conference power until our great late 90's teams knocked them off their perch. They were never *that* good though--the big dogs of DIII hoops back then were Bo Ryan's UW-Platteville, who were a machine.

Hey, and I just checked and we won the conference this year, and had its player of the year, but managed to lose in the first round of the tourney. Wash U was third in the conference, yet wins the championship. No justice.

No one cares, I know.

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linke might. NYU is also Division III these days.

Washington U and the Maroons are well matched. Who else is in that conference? Is it places like Case Western and Carnegie Mellon? Maybe Beloit, Coe or Grinell?

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Damn good guess, ursus. It's UC, Wash U, NYU, Case Western, Carnegie Mellon, Brandeis, and Emory. It's one of the largest conferences geographically in the country. Hopkins used to be in it as well, but I am not sure what happened to them.

Edit: and the University of Rochester is a member, too.

[ 23.03.2008, 20:04: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is hard to support any team that goes by the name of the violets though. It is possibly the least intimidating name of all.

We should modernise our mascot and go with a local hobo, influenced by West Virginia.

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Nah, then people will think your mascot is a Village hipster, which would be less intimidating than Violets.
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah SocScrim, the last great tournament was '93. UNLV in '91 was the last great team. As soon as the NBA reintroduced drafting high school kids, and Kobe skipped college altogether, it was the end of forcing kids to go to college.

A decade ago, there's no chance in hell George Mason would've made the Final Four. Now, Davidson may join them.

However, what is lacking in talent is full of competition, which has led to 5 or 6 OT games this year. I can't remember this much drama packed into so few days (especially after the first day was a stinkbomb.)

This Memphis-Miss State game is looking like another scorcher. 22-22.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

That's not true, jv. While UNLV was definitely an incredible squad, there have been lots of awesome teams since then, dripping with NBA talent: the Pitino Kentucky teams, Camby/UMass, Two different Duke incarnations, UConn with Rip Hamilton, UNC with Jamison and Carter, Arizona with Simon/Bibby and then Wright/Terry, Carmelo Anthony, etc, etc.

This year there appears to be nothing. I guess I should watch Memphis or UNC.

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea that NYU should have an intimidating mascot is intrinsically funny, but if you insist, the only possible choice is the Landlords.
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antonio Gramsci
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for Antonio Gramsci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
UNLV in '91 was the last great team.
If you replace "UNLV" with "Duke", you'd have a much better case here, jv.

I distinctly remember being in a steakhouse off Times Square on the Saturday night and letting my dinner go cold because my table didn't have a view of the TV and I *had* to watch Duke nail UNLV in the semis. This was and excellent result because, well, Tarkanian's an asshole.

Anyways, a classic game, probably topped only by Duke's win the next year against Kentucky.

Hurley, Hill and Laettner - that was a great core to a team.

[ 23.03.2008, 23:14: Message edited by: Antonio Gramsci ]

Posts: 1762 | From: the further reaches of sleep deprivation | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Puke was lucky as lucky can be. They were nowhere as good as UNLV, and if Vampire K had only 2 days to prepare for them like he did the year before, they would've got dropped by 30 points like the year before. Or 40.

However, he had an entire week to summon up the most powerful demons from the deepest and darkest pit of hell to neutralize Johnson-Augmon-Anthony, and who knows if UNLV got paid to shave a few points once they got out of the hottubs they shared with every shady character in Vegas.

They were the 2007 Patriots. They went 34-1 in a year of incredible talent. They would've mopped all of those teams, SocScrim. It was the last time a teamful of NBA players played their Senior year.

That said, the teams of the late 70s/early 80s obviously would've mopped anyone (Larry Bird's I-State, Magic's Mich State, Isaiah's Indiana, Jordan's UNC.)

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was that even "Jordan's UNC" when they won the title? I thought Worthy was just as important, if not more.

Well, my bracket has officially been busted. Two of my Final Four teams out, even a Georgetown I had in the final.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

Lord have mercy am I on the hot seat tonight. Look, it's remembered as Jordan's the minute he hit that shot, no matter what he did to the Lakers and no matter what Worthy did for the Lakers. But yes, Worthy was awesome.
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Sam Perkins was also on that team. It was indeed stacked.

JV, re: the stuff above-- I suppose you are operating with a higher standard of greatness than I am. My point was that the teams I listed were really good with some brilliant players, even if they didn't rise to the level of '82 UNC or '91 UNLV. There aren't any really good teams in this tournament, and barely any really good players.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC