This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » College Basketball 2007-08 (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: College Basketball 2007-08
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, in pro 'rasslin (sorry, but indulge me for a minute,) this would be the rarest of occurances: the double turn.

Wrestling is all about bad guys and good guys, but they're known as heels and baby faces (or simply "faces.") But they can't stay like that forever, or it would be boring for the audiences. An example would be Anakin Skywalker turning to the darkside and becoming Darth Vader, and Darth Vader not being able to watch his son get electrocuted by the Emporer's fishbelly white fingers and became Anakin again.)

So when someone turns bad, it's a heel turn. The Washington Huskies in this case would be the babyfaces (perennial underdog facing the obnoxious and almighty New York Yankees of college basketball.) However, with this one act, they committed something so vile and nauseating and low class that they simply cannot be cheered for. They are below contempt, they are disgusting. They are now the heels.

When the heel turns good, it's a face turn. It can happen from a variety of things: Maybe the heel has seen the error of their ways (Darth Vader,) maybe they show something so remarkable and inspiring that they are seen in a different light, or maybe they suffer something so horrible that in comparison they look admirable (2001 New York Yankees.)

UCLA, with that player taking it like a man and not striking back, has become the babyfaces. They are honorable, respectable, and high class. They are to be admired. They are the people's champion.

It's the 10 and a half year anniversary of my favorite wrestling match of all time. Bret "The Hitman" Hart vs "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. So if you have a half-hour to spare...
Part I of the Greatest Double Turn in Pro Wrestling History.
Part II of the Greatest Double Turn in Pro Wrestling History.
Part III of the Greatest Double Turn in Pro Wrestling History.

[ 12.02.2008, 23:48: Message edited by: jason voorhees ]

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

This is from the Seattle Times:

quote:
SEATTLE — Washington coach Lorenzo Romar is surprised by all the attention being given to Tim Morris' pass off Alfred Aboya's face in the closing seconds of Washington upset of UCLA.

Romar said Tuesday that it is unfortunate the play is getting as much negative press as it is and has overshadowed the Huskies win over the Bruins.

Romar is always presented as a nice guy, a coach that never yells at his players, and I had a lot of respect for his program. Not anymore.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's bad. I expected to see something fairly ambiguous, but it was clear the UW dude was trying to hurt the Bruin.

Didn't Danny Ainge do something similar in the early '90s?

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A rather depressing article from Grant Wahl on fan behavior at college basketball games.

The treatment Kevin Love got from the Oregon fans got a lot of attention, as did the reception Eric Gordon got at Illinois. Personally, I thought the condemnations were a bit much. I mean, it's sports, and fans can say some mean things sometimes. But reading the article made me nauseous:

quote:
Kevin Love knew it would be bad. But not this bad. Sure, he'd chosen UCLA over Oregon after being the consensus national player of the year as a senior at Lake Oswego (Ore.) High -- but what happened to his home state's rep for peace, love and understanding? On Jan. 23, the day before the ­Bruins-Ducks showdown in Eugene, Love found more than 30 voice-mail messages on his cellphone when UCLA stopped for a layover in San Francisco. He listened to the first one: If you guys win, we'll come to your house and kill your family. He played another: We'll find your hotel room and blow your f------ head off with a shotgun. He ­didn't bother to check the rest. "I mean, these were death threats," Love says. Shaken, he called his mother, Karen, and had her cancel his cellphone service.

Robert Husseman knew it would be bad. But not this bad. A sophomore math and business major, Husseman is a member of the Pit Crew, Oregon's rabid, 1,500-strong student fan club. He had attended the weekly Pit Crew meeting that Monday, heard that Love's cell number was circulating among members, but did not dial it himself. While nobody has ever called the Pit Crew PC -- its members once printed a thousand copies of an embarrassing picture posted on Facebook of Stanford's Fred Washington at a party -- Husseman ­couldn't believe the chorus of homophobic chants directed at Love from the McArthur Court student section after UCLA took the floor. "I ­didn't even bother with [saying] the chants," Husseman says. "I hoped they would die quickly, but they ­didn't."

Stan Love knew it would be bad. But not this bad. Stan, who is Kevin's father and the sixth-leading scorer in Oregon's history, arrived at his alma mater that night in a party of seven including Karen, Kevin's 13-year-old sister, his grandmother and his uncle Mike, a cofounder of the Beach Boys. But good vibrations were in short supply. Stan says his family was pelted with popcorn cartons and empty cups, as well as a barrage of profane ­insults ("every filthy word you can think of"), including screams of "whores" that made Kevin's grandmother cry. "There were six-year-old kids with signs saying KEVIN LOVE SUCKS," says Stan, who ­endured a hail of one-finger salutes to snap photographs of the worst signs. "It was the grossest display of humanity I've ever been involved with. To think I'm sitting at the school where I played ball, and just because my kid ­didn't pick Oregon he gets abused like that? I'll never go back there."

Kevin responded in the most cold-blooded way possible, keying UCLA's 80-75 victory with a 26-point, 18-rebound tour de force, but the fans' behavior was the story of the game in Eugene -- just as it has been in several other places around the country this season. Fan abuse and taunting are nothing new in college basketball, but 2007-08 has been the ugliest season in years. When Illinois hosted Indiana on Feb. 7, the home fans took out their frustration on Hoosiers freshman guard Eric Gordon (who'd reneged on a verbal commitment to the Illini) by chanting "F--- you, Gordon," throwing a drink at his mother and cheering when Illini guard Chester Frazier knocked Gordon back five feet with a chest bump during player introductions. And after then No. 1 Memphis pulled out a last-gasp win at Alabama-­Birmingham on Feb. 16, Blazers fans nearly incited a Malice at The Palace-like riot with Tigers players; forward Joey Dorsey had to be physically restrained by team personnel from going into the stands.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I blame ESPN.
But then I blame ESPN for pretty much everything.

The death threats are clearly actionable; I hope that Love kept a record of the calls and that the Oregon and/or LA cops will follow up.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

I do think ESPN's signing-day emphasis is part of something like the hatred of Love in Oregon and Gordon in Illinois. Sure, a big high school talent and where he decides to go would have gotten some attention in years past, but not to the extent that it does now.
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same can be said of the attention that all of the local "crazies" get everytime the trucks come to town.

Maybe it really is ESPN's fault.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I honestly don't care much about profanity, etc: little kids flipping off a treacherous player is funny to me. In fact, anything less would reflect poorly on the fans. Death threats and attacking parents are another thing altogether, however.

The most outraged I've ever been over fan behavior is when some Virginia fans made fun of Juan Dixon's dead parents, but like Kevin Love, Juan had the last laugh in that game.

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Fuck UVa.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Indeed, a cesspool of unjustified arrogance. I think I mentioned this before, but for a while (and perhaps it is still true) the car decals produced by UVa read simply "The University". One of my favorite things to do was to go up to people with that sticker on their car and compliment them on going to Maryland.*

*Regretfully, I never actually did this. Just as I've never gone up to people with those obnoxious Canadian flags plastered on their luggage and asked them where in the US they are from.

Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the University produced those. I think it was just a fad for kids to cut the "Of Virginia" off the sticker. Sometimes I saw it arranged Virginia: The University.

Cocks.

I could go on in detail, but I'll just leave it there.

And Juan Dixon seems like such a quality guy. I actually followed them a bit when he was on the team.

But it may be noted that Maryland fans are not exactly a paragon of class and sportsmanship. Really, I think the general behavior of fans in college sports has gotten a lot worse over the last 15 years. At Penn State, there has always been a lot of drunken shenanigans, but recently there's been an alarming increase (or what appears to be an increase) in reports of mean, boorish and even violent behavior.

It's saddening. But if it's that bad at Penn State, which was usually pretty laid back in the past, I can only imagine what it's like at places where it was always a bit dodgy, like most of the SEC or Ohio State.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

When I read that on "Today's Active Topics" (w/o paragraph breaks), I thought someone had combined a UVa sticker with a University of South Carolina one. You and SocScrim should each feel free to use that idea.

I think Reed is right about the general decline, and once again, I blame ESPN.

Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Ah, I see. I am not sure if that's better or worse. (Edit: to Reed re: UVa stickers)

Indeed, MD fans are pretty obnoxious too, but at least they root for the correct team. But my realization that college sports fans are, by and large, obnoxious assholes--from the dumbass students to the douchebag boosters--is largely responsible for my not following it anymore.

Edit: to ursus--great idea!

[ 29.02.2008, 18:37: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Inca
Member # 675

I saw Maryland in the Sweet 16 in 1998, in Anaheim. They were in the unenviable position of playing defending champs Arizona in front of a crowd that made it essentially an Arizona home game (Arizona travels insanely well). Then Utah came along and beat Arizona in the Elite 8.

Back then, it wasn't hard to get tickets to the games, as long as you put in for them ahead of time. My dad and I did this whenever there were games in SoCal. Now the Pond/Honda Center, where we watched those Sweet 16/Elite 8 games, is only hosting the first and second round games, as the stadiums get bigger and bigger (no more days of games at the dinky Long Beach Arena, where we also saw Loyola Marymount stun Michigan in the year that Hank Gathers died) and the tickets get more expensive. The cheapest tickets for the games at the Honda Center are $153. That includes all six games, so it works out to like $25/game, but that's way higher than it used to be.

Reed
Member # 55

"I thought someone had combined a UVa sticker with a University of South Carolina one. You and SocScrim should each feel free to use that idea.

Interesting that you mention that. A guy who I used to see all the time around W&M had a cap that did just that. It said COCKS in big letters (just like this one), but below that, it said The University of Virginia instead of South Carolina. Also, the hat was green, instead of red and black. I imagine he worked for the hat company in the summer or something.

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC