This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » College Basketball 2007-08 (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: College Basketball 2007-08
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not knocking Mayo, per se--he has 14 points or whatever--but I expected him to bowl me over. He's a good player but he doesn't have the obvious physical gifts that Beasley has. Or at least he has not shown them yet.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I never post again it's because this Duke game gave me a heart attack.

Edit: Christ, I hate Duke.

[ 21.03.2008, 01:18: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not an Edit: Christ, I hate Puke.

Belmont fucking choked, those bastids.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also have liked to cheer for George Mason, until I found out who their most famous alumnus is:
 -

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

yeah, George Mason is a piece of shit in pretty much every way, including the fact they stopped Reed's William and Mary from making the tourney for the first time ever.
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he didn't go to college at all.

Mason is a commuter school in Fairfax. There's no there there.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much what I was hoping for from UCLA last night, a dominating win. What I found really impressive was that even though they put up 70 points, only Kevin Love had double digits scoring.

God, I love Kevin Love. I knew when he committed to UCLA that he was supposed to be great, a really gifted big man, and we hadn't had that since...well, a very long time. Back in 1995, we had George Zidek...more of a "fan favorite" rather than a really good player. When I first saw Love, I got nervous. This guy? The guy that isn't very quick, doesn't look athletic--"husky" would be a good way to describe him--and can move awkwardly?

You look at him, even look at him play, and you think there's no way he should be as good as he is. He's got a really ugly game. The shots he throws up look horrible, but they somehow go in, and if they don't, he goes up and either tips it in, or brings down the offensive rebound, and then makes an even uglier shot surrounded by three guys.

I normally don't read Bill Simmons, but yesterday he was writing about UCLA, so I had to. Here's what he said about Love:

quote:
And then there's the most polarizing NBA prospect of this decade, someone who's inevitably going to look awful in workouts (except for shooting drills) and runs like he's trying to find a bathroom. Yeah, Kevin Love is slow. Yeah, he can't jump. Yeah, he doesn't run as much as he waddles. Yeah, some NBA guys will abuse him on the low post, so you'd have to protect him with double-teams and a shot-blocker if you had one. Yeah, he's probably not posting up that many folks in the pros. Unlike Westbrook, Love brings a ton of stuff to the table but takes off some forks and a couple of knives and maybe even a dinner plate. I concede all of these things.

Just know this: Love always gets his 17-10 (at least) no matter whom the Bruins are playing. He's always in the right place at the right time. He always seems to get garbage points and tip-ins even when he's surrounded by three guys. He's a naturally gifted rebounder, averaging more than 10 boards in just 29 minutes a game this season. He's an absolutely outrageous passer, unquestionably the best passing college center since since I can't even remember. He's a natural 3-point shooter and even makes them with a hand in his face. Over the past 25 years, you could say this about only two other big guys (Bill Laimbeer and Rasheed Wallace). His teams always seem to win (dating back to high school), and if you're worried about Love's toughness, check out the box score of his "coming home" game when Oregon's bitter students tore into him for three consecutive hours and crossed every conceivable fan-player line except for throwing things at him and he responded with an Eff-You Game (26 points, 18 rebounds, 8-for-11 from the field).

Best of all, there's his ongoing homage to Wes Unseld -- those incredible half-court and full-court outlet passes, the single best thing about his game and something that has become more and more effective as the season wore on and his teammates started realizing, "They just missed. I gotta start running. I might get a dunk here."

Those outlet passes are just jaw-dropping. In practice, he can stand under one basket and hit the backboard on the other end of the court WITH A CHEST PASS. He can even make a basket after some tries. And he's probably leaving. Bastard.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

I wish you hadn't posted that Inca. I was gonna root for UCLA for your sake. But now, such is my hatred for Simmons that even though Kevin Love sounds like my kind of player, I involuntarily dislike him.

I should say that although his knowledge of the NBA is the one thing I do respect about Simmons, his ability to predict pro success is abysmal. He constantly overrates college success. A few years ago when he posted something about just picking the best college player in his draft diary, I wanted to write to him and ask him if he realized this philosophy would have yielded a team featuring Mateen Cleaves, Juan Dixon, Shane Battier, and Emeka Okafor, but I couldn't find his email address.

Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see I'm not the only anti-Simmons person on here, at least.

I still can't get over Duke winning. It's like suddenly the Belmont team collectively though "oh shit, we might beat Duke" all at once at lost it completely.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

He was always a bit too frat boy for me, but I lost it when he just wouldn't stop criticizing the writers guild in the middle of the strike, while at the same time claiming to support the writers. Fuck him. And he's terrible at anything except pop culture references and the NBA. When he tries to write "serious", it is embarrassing.
jason voorhees
Member # 79

That f'n inbounds pass was ass.
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill Simmons is very often entertaining, especially his mailbags. Even though his email address is very hard to find ao I don't know how all those people are contacting him.

He knows a lot about basketball, it seems.

His ignorant dismissal of hockey is annoying. He claims to be a New Englander and yet doesn't get it at all.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

Loved the Davidson - Zaga game, and being that I've developed a dislike of Gonezaga over the years, I'm happy they lost. That Curry kid looks like he's an 8th grader, and he dropped 40 on they asses.
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

There's your buzzer-beater, jv.
jason voorhees
Member # 79

Yes. At least we know what the game of the tournament is as well.

Never trust those wiley Hilltoppers (I learned that last decade, when they took out one of Seton Hall's best-ever teams,) or that redhaired mudplop of a mascot.

[ 21.03.2008, 19:21: Message edited by: jason voorhees ]

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC