This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » Mike Gregory

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mike Gregory
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad, sad news.

The end of a brave fight.

A fine and enthusiastic player, it was hideous to see how disease had runied his body. His treatment by certain high profile Officials at a certain North Western pie-eating club was nothing short of disgusting.

Another sad loss for the wider rugby community to come to terms with.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mouldy Old Dough
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Mouldy Old Dough     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded. Seemed indestructible to my naive young eyes back in the 1980s. Sorry news indeed.
Posts: 316 | From: Walking down Sheepfoot Lane | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... and the club made an ex gratia payment of 17,500 to him.
Fuck.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad. Hell of a player in his time, and a good bloke.

GIK spot on about his treatment at Wigan.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PR7th Heaven
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for PR7th Heaven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Not even a benefit match, and it's too late now. Some GB tries from the 1980s including Mike Gregory's vs Australia in 1988. I'm pretty sure that's him running in the one right at the end but am prepared to be corrected by anyone who can remember it.
Posts: 906 | From: The other end of Stretford | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that's his try to secure the win in Sydney in 1988. One of my very favourite RL moments - love the sight of Wally Lewis trying to hang on to Offiah's shirt when Gregory made his break - and plenty more of my faviurites in there, too.

I was in that very corner at Old Trafford when Lydon went in for the try shown there - Christ, I thought I was going to have an orgasm.

Some of the ball-handling for the Schofield tries was superb - love that over-the-top final pass from the sublime Tony Myler that set up the Central Park score.

My golden age.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony Myler was a great player.

You have to say RL is lacking stars these days, it's not just nostalgia talking, but it was a game with real character back in the day.

Now people mistake Long's headband for style.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His death ought to bring out in the open the utterly disgraceful attitude of Whelan/Lindsay towards him, they were blaming that sick, dying man for their problems before Noble took over, long after he had gone and made his last few years of life hell by refusing to help him in any way when the likes of Warrington did their best.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC