This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The Michael Jordan remembrance thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: The Michael Jordan remembrance thread
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't much talk about the NBA on here, is there? Does no-one here care about it?

Personally, I'm a Bulls fan, and this season has been somewhat disappointing so far, so I'll just use this thread to talk to myself about it.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am the only person who qualifies as a fan. Inca and JV are sort of casual followers, Reed actively dislikes basketball, and it doesn't even register for most of the non-Americans. Not sure about our Canadian contingent.

When I first moved here in 1995, I tried to become a Bulls fan. I quickly realized, though, that the only thing surpassing Michael Jordan's greatness was the obnoxiousness of his sycophants. There was a time in my life when the human I most hated was Johnny "Red" Kerr, a man whose pathetic toadying must have been the inspiration for the Gatorade "Like Mike" ads in the 1990s. The hate still lingers, for both Red and the team.

I support Washington, unsurprisingly.

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wind Up Bird has a partial season ticket plan to the Mavs, so he's the preeminent otf basketball guru. Ursus grew up in NYC, so is the guru of the playground game and Old School.

I had season tix to the Nets when they first got Kenny Anderson (the reason I got them, he was my favorite player of all time,) and wrote quite a few posts about Drazen Petrovich's Willem DaFoe Platoon impression after he hit that 3 against the Cavs in the first round playoffs, but I lost heart after Petro died. I completely missed the Kidd-Jefferson-Byron Scott-Vince Carter years.

I'll write more later about when the Bulls came to town.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Inca and JV are sort of casual followers
Shut yer mouth. My problem is I had to cancel my DirecTV sports package, so I only get ESPN now, and not my local RSN, so I can't watch the Laker games. Oh, and having a baby and still looking for a job has taken some of my interest away.

We have an NBA thread on here, probably buried on one of the older pages.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I managed to arrive in Chicago just in time for the disastrous Baby Bulls era. I got quite attached to Tyson & Eddy (I love a losing team), and started watching regularly.

Nowadays, I'm very fond of Luol Deng, being British (sort of) and all. His brother even played for the Brighton Bears for a time.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This season's thread

S. aureus is a big fan, but doesn't post on here as much as he used to.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought both you and JV strongly preferred college basketball. Sorry if I got that one wrong.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

Cheers, Inca. Somehow I missed it.
Inca
Member # 675

SS--I do prefer college basketball (I do think the NCAA tournament is the greatest sporting event in the US), but I'd say I'm more than a casual fan of the NBA.

Anyone ever checked out www.82games.com? Sort of a sabermetrics for basketball.

goldstone97
Member # 4318

Yeah, that's a good site. I don't go much deeper than John Hollinger on ESPN though, usually, in terms of analysis. His stuff is usually interesting.

That NBA thread is weird: three pages in one day, then dried up completely. I suppose this hasn't been a very interesting season so far.

Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes watch a few minutes hear and there of the Wizards and Penn State basketball if it's on tv (they were on last night), but I can't sustain interest unless it's the end of a very close game.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a bit of a Trailblazers fan - mainly in the early and mid 90s Arvydas Sabonis, Clyde Drexler and all that.
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

Trailblazers are probably the most interesting story so far this year, having recently reeled off 13 straight wins despite the pre-season loss of Oden. I'm not really sure how they've done it at all; Bill Simmons puts it down to Chemacterility
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Partly it's because their schedule during the streak was fairly easy. That said though, I bet if you asked people before the year if the Blazers would win 13 games *total* more than a few would have said no. I've only seen them play once--that ragged game on Christmas--so I couldn't offer much more than that. Their next few games should tell us a lot:

Thu, Jan 3 at Chicago 8:00 pm
Sat, Jan 5 Utah 10:00 pm
Wed, Jan 9 Golden State 10:00 pm
Sun, Jan 13 at Toronto 12:30 pm
Mon, Jan 14 at New Jersey 7:30 pm

None of those is an elite squad, but they are all in the decent-to-good range. These are the kind of games that separate 35/40 win teams from 50 win teams.

Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scottie fucking Pippen is playing for ToPo at the moment. Well, I say 'at the moment', I mean 'he played tonight and will play tomorrow, before flying back to Florida (via Sundsvall)'.

Apparently he slagged off most of the Bulls team, the coach, the former coach and a lot of the decision-makers at the club before he came here. He seemed to regard this as some sort of job application. Does anyone in Chicago take this seriously?

he was good, btw, despite not having played for 4 years. 15 points, 4 assists and 7 rebounds in 23 minutes is fairly solid. Porvoon Tarmo are an awful team though, we'll see more of what he's made of tomorrow against Espoon Honka.

They have Petteri Koponen, drafted by the Trailblazers and playing one last season in Finland so he can do his military service and hone his game under Mihailo Pavicevic.

As Pippen is taking one of the three American spots, and these are the only full-time professionals in the side, he'll need to be on top of his game against Honka. cue a thirty point victory....

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC