This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The Michael Jordan remembrance thread (Page 13)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: The Michael Jordan remembrance thread
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Maybe the players' union asked for it, having gotten completely sick of hearing the guys in suits say the same thing a hundred times a night.

2) I think that the arc is more of a way of shifting the burden of proof onto the defender than an outright bar on charges being called, but am not sure at all. It only exists in the NBA.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could just be that's how the coaches want to do things--talk to the other coaches, and let the players talk amongst themselves for a while. I've noticed that UCLA coach Ben Howland does this, while no other college coaches I've seen do. I could see how players might like that responsibility.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So how does that charging thing work? If you're a defender inside that zone, you can't draw a charge no matter how long you've been planted?
Ok, this is my understanding of the rule: if you set yourself up in the restricted area and an offensive player who is coming from outside the lower painted area (the "blocks") collides with you, it cannot be a charge.

However, if the offensive player has also set up in the lower painted then there can be a charge.

In other words, if a guy posts up a defender down on the blocks, he can be called for a charge, even if the defender is in the restricted area. But if the offensive player is dribbling or cutting in for a layup or a short runner or something, he can never be called for a charge if the defender is in the restricted area.

[ 10.03.2008, 14:58: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny how going to one Hornets game made me care for them this year. If I had moved to NOLA I would've definitely gone to more games. I was able to see their loss to the Rockets on Sopcast, and with their absurd television deal finally being reached they may continue to sell out the arena.

Byron Scott has to be a contender for future All-Time Great coach for what he's done with the Nets and Hornets. Of course, there's zero pressure there, it'll be interesting to see when he gets his first Lakers-Knicks-Celtics job.

It was also neat seeing otfave Jaokim Noah against the Pistons last night. He may turn out pretty good, he was certanly impressive last night.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being sick the past two days has given me a reason to become introduced to Sopcast. Tonight the Nets are losing and will lose to the Rockets - whose gameplan seems to be losing Yao Ming for the season and not losing in 19 games so far.

The Rockets move the ball so well, and pass and hit shots with incredible speed. They're like a teamfull of D-Wades.

It's fun watching a Chinese (CCTV) broadcast of the NBA. You can, uh, feel the love. During commericals they play highlights of other games, and the energy they have to their broadcasts - like the way their promos and commericials present the game would indicate the NBA is having a huge impact in China.

The Cowboys may be America's Team, but there's no doubt the Rockets are China's Team.

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

Man, the Nets are trash.
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So no-go on the New Orleans thing, jv?
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JV, Sopcast is a must if like me you've cancelled your satellite sports pack and can't watch soccer games on the weekend anymore.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

No, SocScrim. Got the word a few days ago.

I got accepted to an interview in Baltimore, however.

What games are on the weekend, Inca ? I've been trying to find a good schedule but it's been tough.

Inca
Member # 675

EPL, Serie A, La Liga...thankfully I still get all of the Spanish-language stations so I have my Mexican league games. Plus the Champions League games not on ESPN2 and not on ESPN360.com.

Not that the baby is letting me watch a game in full anymore. Watch while you can, jase!

Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Their loss, jason. Fingers crossed on Baltimore though. Hopefully Charm City won't make the same mistake NOLA did.
jason voorhees
Member # 79

Thanks. I'm also up in Philly, the Mississippi Delta, and Miami.
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

I take it this is some kind of nationwide program?
jason voorhees
Member # 79

Kind of, but not really. Miami-NOLA-Baltimore-Philly & Oakland are run by the New Teacher Project. While they are national, you have to apply individually to each city. I may apply to the University of New Orleans program, which is different.

Mississippi is run by Ole Miss, in which you get a Masters in Education and teach for 2 years. One guy gained 100 pounds because he stayed at a farmer's house who made homemade ice cream and homemade butter from his cows.

Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Are you interviewing for a specific school in Baltimore?
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC