This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The Michael Jordan remembrance thread (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: The Michael Jordan remembrance thread
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pippen is reportedly in financial trouble and had talked about making an NBA comeback last year, but no one was interested. I wonder how he ended up in Finland.

I have no idea whether or not he's taken seriously here, but his comments were hilariously blunt, especially the bit about how you shouldn't have midgets in the back court. Outburst aside, I very much doubt anyone would take a flier on him as a coach. He's got no experience, and it seems the only time someone like that gets a chance with an NBA team is if they are transcendent superstars (e.g., Magic with the Lakers, Bird with the Pacers).

Bomb A Nero, I take it you are based in Finland? (sorry, I can't keep up with these things). I'd be interested to hear about the game there whenever you get a chance. The only thing I know about Finnish ball is Hanno Mottola (which I am probably misspelling)

Edit: And if you have any video of Pippen playing for his new team, that would be awesome. I went to the ToPo website, but the English section is limited.

[ 05.01.2008, 00:45: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really four years since Pippen retired? I suppose the financial troubles might explain why he's known throughout Chicago as "no tippin' Pippen".
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.yle.fi/urheilu/koripallo/id94183.html

'Katso video' should get some footage, but i can't make it work. He's getting a 'six figure (in dollars)' fee for the ToPo games, not sure what Sundsvall are paying. Around the same I'd imagine.

Aleksi Valovuori is the man behind it, he brought Dennis Rodman here a couple of years back on a similar deal. His company takes all the risk (they've sold out both games with tickets ranging from 25-220 euro, so there isn't really much risk), and ToPo get a decent player and lots of coverage. He used to be ToPo's general manager, but he fell out with their more conservative board members and left a couple of months back.

Basketball in Finland is mainly semi-pro, with an emphasis on three expensive Americans and 8-9 guys who might not even get paid. ToPo had two 17 year olds and an 18 year old playing with pippen tonight, and of course they had one of their three americans sitting it out.

Like most sports in Finland, it has historically been quite politicised, and this has been magnified because it is, in the main, a small town sport. my local team, Pyrinto, are 'bourgeois', whereas KTP Kotka, for instance, are 'working class'. This kind of ridiculousness is thankfully fading now, but in places like Forssa, a real basketball town of 17,000 people, it's only in the last 10 years that the left wing club and right wing club have come to an arrangement.

The top Finnish player right now is probably Teemu Rannikko, who is playing for Khimki in Russia. they're currently second in the league and he is (according to the guy I sat next to tonight) playing a lot of minutes there. He's a point guard. Other than that I'm really not too sure, but I will surely find something out tomorrow night. I quite like the sport anyway, it reminds me of basketball in Sheffield, which is small scale but based around coaches who are passionate about the game. Proper clubs, you could say.

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any sources on these financial troubles? I should be able to ask him something tomorrow.
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link and the info.

How big is basketball in Finland? I assume it's well behind soccer and hockey?

So, this Pippen deal is a bit of a one-off freak show then?

I don't know much about his financial problems. He apparently owes $5m for a collapsed deal to purchase an airplane. This article talks about that, and alludes to other problematic investments:

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2007/02/22/77122.htm

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird that Pippen should be in financial trouble as he is legendarily tight-fisted. 'No-tipping Pippen' is his nickname. He was brought up in a large and very poor family and his frugal habits from his hard youth allegedly persisted into adulthood.

(edit: Must learn to read threads thoroughly before posting!)

[ 05.01.2008, 01:51: Message edited by: evilC ]

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was something about Pippen's financial adviser going bankrupt a while back, and I think Pip was suing him for a very large amount of money. I'm sure a bit of googling would suffice.

I'm prepared to say Pippen's tippin' is more than allegedly bad, as I've many friends in the service industry here who would attest to it.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite player is David Robinson, because he seemed to be a box-to-box midfielder with a never say die mentality, but with skills to boot. The Roy Keane of basketball.

I was big into the NBA in the early 90s.

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea of Royston as an officer on a nuclear submarine is rather terrifying . . .
Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Bryan, I hate to piss on your childhood heroes, but David Robinson's reputation is essentially the exact opposite of what you've described. Despite being cut from granite, he was known as a soft player, both mentally and physically. He is by all accounts a wonderful human, and it was generally felt he was too nice to dominate the game in the way his incredible talent suggested.

I'd say the players closest to Keano in terms of attitude were Bird and Jordan, players who led their teams through talent and fear.

jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah hell, since it's the Michael Jordan rememberance thread...

1982 - I'm a 9-year-old who spends 4 weeks out of the year travelling down to Hudson, Fla on I-95 to visit his grandmammy. Along the way, there's stops at West Point Peppermill, Converse, and some of the other outlet stores that seemed to be located only in NC. At one of them, I got a UNC National Championship shirt, and knew that some young guy hit the winning shot. At a home/bath outlet, my mother allowed me to purchase small soaps of all of the ACC teams. I laughed at the Georgia Tech Yellowjacket in the old Model T Ford. I loved the Clemson paw as it reminded me of my cats. In the Volkswagon pickup truck, my brother and I would scratch the soap and sniff it, causing us to sneeze. In comic books they advertised sneezing powder for $5, and here I made it for free. I kept those small soaps, because they would be worth something one day. Obviously my only chance of that happening is if they're the last 5 bars of soap on earth.

1986 - It was the beginning of the worst school year of my life, 7th grade. A friend of mine, Kevin B, was the first to get the Nike Air Jordans. These ones;
 -

In gym class, it's ironic, because they're called Air Jordans, and Kevin's a big fat fuck who couldn't jump over a crack in the sidewalk. Years later the only he'd get air was by getting high, and would proceed to move to the Pacific Northwest after his adoptive mother died to becoming a horticulturalist of a certain plant that Cypress Hill would approve of.

We had to sit on the floor in straight lines in gym class in "squads". The first day he wore those sneakers, my best friend Pat snuck up behind me and farted on my head.

1989 - I'm at Crazy Eddies in Mercer Mall (now the Bed, Bath & Beyond.) I grew up with their hilarious commericals, and now they are going out of business (due to Crazy Eddie actually being a crazy Egyptian, and embezzling each penny of his company.) I am beginning my kleptomaniac stage, and end up shoplifting about 6 Sony Walkmans that are in baskets on the floor. On the wall of TVs, Michael Jordan and the Bulls are losing to the Cleveland Cavs with 3 seconds to go. With a second left, he steals the game with this shot. I give 5 of the walkmans to my friends in the lunchroom. Call me Robbin' Hood.

1991 - I'm in Baltimore as a youth advisory delegate to the Presbyterian Church General Assembly (the one where everyone voted on a sexuality report in which pre-marital sex was kosher due to Eros or something like that.) I go to an Orioles game where a rookie reliever sensation named Greg Olson saves a game against Toronto in Memorial Stadium (I get a bucket hat as it's the last year of the historic stadium.) A kid in a hamburger stand after midnight asks me if I want any weed, and I say "I don't do that shit" as I was quite straight-edge at the time. He says sternly "it ain't shit."

I make friends with a kid from LA named Brent, which is an absolute miracle as he's a fan of the two most Satanic establishments in my book; The Lakers and the hair-metal band Poison. In the hotel room, there's a Poison concert on late night tv. He's so excited and proud that he knows that a laser stick drawing of a female figure is going to pull her dress down and moon the crowd, because he saw it in concert.

I try getting him into Ice-T and NWA, both of which have new albums that I got from the Fulton Street Market where Proposition Joe introduces Omar to Stringer Bell in The Wire. He doesn't bite.

A month before, for the Eastern Youth Advisory Delegate meeting, they warn us that teens have drunk alcohol at the national assembly. There's a real religious guy a few years older then I whose name escapes me. He did this evangelical guerrila theatre at his college, SUNY Binghamton, and when I ask him if it's true, he says "some people really aren't there for God."

So it's game 5 of the Bulls-Lakers series. For years I've heard Jordan is the new Ernie Banks, who will play brilliantly but will never win a title (as each year the Pistons mop the floor with them. Literally. As in Lambier will clothesline them going up for a layup and proceed to use them as a mop with his foot.) Brent loves Vlade Divac, and Magic, and Sam Perkins, and is cheeering for the whole game. We're all drinking like crazy. I'm barely standing when John Paxton starts hitting a million jump shots in a row, all assists from Jordan, when I turn around and see that teetotaller looking forlorn and disappointed that he's not drinking like the rest of his Youth Advisory Delegate peers. I laugh right in Brent's face when the Bulls clinch it (because there's no way they'd win another title.)

1992 - I have seasons tickets to the NJ Nets as it's my Freshman year in college (School of Visual Arts in NYC,) and I'm living in Pavonia Newport in Jersey City. There's a nice mall, but it's all acres upon acres of weeds and brownfields everywhere else.

I love Kenny Anderson, and buy a partial seasons tickets plan. Part of the plan is the Bulls coming to town. I'm sitting in a corner, and see him warm up. The crowd is either (a) dead, or (b) Bandwagon Bulls fans. There's a posh African-American family sitting in front of me. When Michael Jordan scores, the kid with glasses and Will Smith sweater does a bizarre shake and dance. The father looks at him as if to say "we do not act like that in public." The kid meekly sits down. The Bulls kick the Nets's asses, and all I remember is that stupid dancemove the fucking kid did and wonder (a) what corporation he's moving up in, and (b) what teams he's been supporting since the Bulls have sucked ass the past few years, because I guarantee it ain't Chi-town.

1993 - The Riley-era Knicks are heavy contenders. My gay friend Carlo has pictures of Oakley/Ewing/Starks on his wall, calling them the "Testosterone Five." I'm working at a warehouse for Shop Rite, the graveyard shift. Before I leave for work, with the Knicks up and ready to clinch, Charles Smith misses more layups than my brother in a pickup game I had with 3 older gentleman the weekend before (it was first to 11, we were up 10-6, then 10-7, then 10-8, then 10-9, then ended up losing 12-10 after my bro missed about 56 layups.)

The manager at the warehouse is an African-American gentleman named Mike. He's the African-American male version of Alice the Goon, complete with 6'6" - 350 lb body, and a head the size of a grapefruit. When he walks, he always looks like he's about to tip over from how unweildy he is. Almost his entire grapefruit head is his mouth, which is always big and loud (louder than the smashing pallets and revving forklift engines.) The entire night, he's screaming shit like "you see Charles Smith ?!! You see that bitch miss a hundred layups ?!! Jordan ain't nothin !!! The Knicks gave it up !!! They gave it up !!! Did you see Charles Smith ?!!! You see that bitch ass miss a hundred damn layups ?!! Jordan ain't nothin, NOTHIN !!! The Knicks gave it to them !!! Hey, Charles. Smith ? YOU SEE THAT BITCH MISS A HUNDRED LAYUPS ?!! I'm tellin you, JORDAN AIN'T NOTH~" for the entire fucking night.

And Benny gave him shit for all of it. He's from Elizabeth, NJ. He's 5'1", and would tell stories about how he'd have to stand on a stool to bang his girlfriend from behind because she was 6'2". He didn't like the Bulls, he just hated Mike, and loved giving him and his grapefruit head a lot of shit.

2002 - My left defender, Rashonna, is missing a game to see Michael's #45 return to the Garden. She's our Maldini, running the entire defense and game from the left side. We lose the game, and end up missing out on the state tournament by one game.

2007 - I see a pic of Michael Jordan drunk off his ass. It's nice to see him having fun, and not giving a fuck about life. I get the feeling he's on his way to being the next Bobby Brown.

[ 11.01.2008, 03:02: Message edited by: jason voorhees ]

Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like Craig Ehlo looking up at that post.

You the man, jv.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Ok, more great reminiscences from jv, but this being otf, I am going to have to get pedantic on your ass:

1.) Gregg Olson. Three 'g's in the first name.

2.) MJ wore 23 while with Washington. He was #45 briefly when he returned to the Bulls back in 1995.

jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, at least I was right on 1989 for that Cavs game and Charles Smith and not Charles Oakley.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

A bravura performance as always, jv. Just wanted to make sure your posts were being held to otf's rarefied standards of factual accuracy.
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC