This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The Michael Jordan remembrance thread (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: The Michael Jordan remembrance thread
jefe
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for jefe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jv, we may have both been at that O's-Blue Jays game. I think that hat's under my bed.
Posts: 1511 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huge win for the Celtics tonight, snapping Detroit's win streak at 11, and in the Palace to boot. The Pistons had beaten the Cs in Boston a couple weeks ago, which made me wonder just how good the Celtics were. Boston continues its dominant defense, holding the Pistons to 39% shooting. Anyone see it?
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jason voorhees
Member # 79

- posted      Profile for jason voorhees     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great hat, jefe. That's wild if it was the same game.
Posts: 9565 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic post, JV.

Scottie was very good in the third quarter yesterday, when ToPo came back to win it. He was a bit rusty early on and quickly got to three fouls, but started pushing Mathew Williams (who had dominated him) in the Third and asserted himself well.

I have to read tomorrow's tabloids to see if he did anything else of note, unfortunately I only found out that my press pass got admission to the VIP 'Scottie Pippen party' at Stockholm diskotek last night. There was free booze, as well as a lot of rich star-fuckers, but I was in no fit state after Friday night in Kallio and Saturday afternoon at the bandy.

Pippen 'has a few projects in Florida and doesn't need the money' according to his 'people'. He's here to 'promote the great game of basketball', in his own words.

Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bobcats, one of the worst teams in the league went into the Garden and whipped the Celtics last night. Despite their modest record, Charlotte also nearly managed to topple Boston earlier this year, only to be done in by one of the most dramatic moments of the season.

Last night, Boston was without Ray Allen, the hero of the first Charlotte-Celts matchup. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that's the first time that one of the "big three" has missed a game. The concern everyone had going into the season was that Boston was not deep enough, and losing at home to a terrible team is certainly not going to allay those reservations.

[ 10.01.2008, 13:55: Message edited by: Soccer Scrimmage ]

Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allen missed a couple of games earlier in the season, but they did win both games.

I share the reservation that their lack of depth is a problem, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they rested the big three occasionally ahead of the playoffs.

Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are the people to ask. I was astonished when my son got a basketball X-box game to see that Shaq was on it. It is a couple of years old so I checked just now and saw that he was still playing at 35 ( I reckoned he was that old as I remember seeing him way back when he was only a couple of years into his Magic career)

Is this exceptional nowadays or are basketball players playing to that age a lot?

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bloody hell, I knew that Jordan and Johnson were old when they quit but I didn't realise that Charles Barkley was 37 as well
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar played until he was 42.

Shaq has been awful this year--it just looks like he can't do it any more. Or at least he doesn't have the game he used to. Of course, being on an equally awful team can't help...

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So it's game 5 of the Bulls-Lakers series. For years I've heard Jordan is the new Ernie Banks, who will play brilliantly but will never win a title (as each year the Pistons mop the floor with them. Literally. As in Lambier will clothesline them going up for a layup and proceed to use them as a mop with his foot.) Brent loves Vlade Divac, and Magic, and Sam Perkins, and is cheeering for the whole game. We're all drinking like crazy. I'm barely standing when John Paxton starts hitting a million jump shots in a row, all assists from Jordan, when I turn around and see that teetotaller looking forlorn and disappointed that he's not drinking like the rest of his Youth Advisory Delegate peers. I laugh right in Brent's face when the Bulls clinch it (because there's no way they'd win another title.)
That series was the most traumatic moment of my childhood. Worse than losing to the Pistons, because you just knew that the torch had been passed, and the Showtime Lakers were OVER.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

Chairman, my guess is that you are looking at basketball from the perspective of a soccer fan. Compared with players in North American sports, footballers peak much earlier. There are plenty of players in the NBA who are in their mid-30s or older, for instance.
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big men (forwards or centers, those over 6'7 or so and who don't do much running) also usually age better than guards (who are smaller, though obviously still big men anywhere but in the NBA). Though Shaq is so big, his body has basically broken under the strain in recent years.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks JV, really enjoyed reading that.

Has any other sports star had a bigger influence than Jordan?

Basketball was huge here while he was playing.

Beckham and Warne are just two from other sports who took the 23 number. I know most of it was mostly Nike hype, but he was some athlete too.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's quite an interesting question, UE.

In North American terms, one can make a convincing argument that Magic Johnson and Larry Bird were actually more influential in bringing the NBA back from the near dead (matches from the finals being broadcast on tape delay, etc.), but Jordan built on what they had done and took the game to a completely new level, especially internationally.

North Americans tend to bracket Jordan with Wayne Gretzky, because they were contemporaries who changed and came to symbolise their sports, but hockey continues to struggle.

Perhaps the best comparable for Jordan is Babe Ruth, who firmly established baseball as the number 1 sport in the country at a time when it was really from the "Black Sox" scandal portrayed in Eight Men Out. Though Ruth's international appeal was pretty much limited to the Caribbean and Japan. Muhammad Ali is also worth a mention, though I have always felt that it was Ali the person that transcended Ali the athlete, with many people who followed him not having much (or any) interest in boxing per se (I would count myself among their number).

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aleksi Valovuori's next big project is getting Pippen and Jordan to play together in Finland for a charity event. I wouldn't bet against it happening.
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC