This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » The Michael Jordan remembrance thread (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: The Michael Jordan remembrance thread
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chairman, my guess is that you are looking at basketball from the perspective of a soccer fan. Compared with players in North American sports, footballers peak much earlier. There are plenty of players in the NBA who are in their mid-30s or older, for instance.
Completely that perspective and, as someone knows very little about it although I like the game.

Having said that, I played it in school and from the little I watched, I always thought it was a much more athletic, high-tempo and, to a certain extent, high impact game than football.

Mind you, I suppose the diet, medical rehabilitation and training practices in the NBA are probably far ahead of what football has belatedly started to cotton onto

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bigger factor is the amount of dead time (between baskets, foul shots, television timeouts, etc), not to mention the fact that free substitution allows one to take breaks when needed.

A big man like Shaq or Kareem can basically get away with jogging up and down the court between baskets and stationing themselves for either participating in or defending the "half court offense" that tends to dominate in the NBA. Even teams that rely heavily on the "fast break" tend not to have their center participate a great deal. Robert Parish is another center who played into his 40s.

Guards and forwards are subject to more wear and tear.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Shaq is like Ray Wilkins whan he was playing for Brighton i.e. standing in the centre circle and letting everyone else run up and down past him while he passed the ball through him?

I really don't know much about basketball

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray Wilkins has never played for Brighton, though his brother Dean did. Wish it had been Ray, of course.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bomb A Nero
Member # 636

- posted      Profile for Bomb A Nero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If PPV passes by here anytime soon, I really want to know what he thinks of Rinkeby's finest, Akropol; their 'Blue Army' fans, and the league's attempts to fine them out of existence. They got torn a new one by pippen's Sundsvall tonight, but I fucking love em anyway.
Posts: 2903 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chairman, I am not sure I understand your analogy, but what ursus is saying is that big men don't necessarily have to be particularly mobile to be effective. Simply by virtue of their size they are able to get easy baskets, grab rebounds, and block opposing shots. Smaller players, on the other hand, depend largely on their speed and quickness, so as they age and slow down, their value drops significantly.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

My analogy doesn't really work.

Ray Wilkins isn't that big, stood in the centre circle distributing passes (at the end of his career) and didn't play for Brighton, he played for Orient.

While playing for Orient against Brighton, (where my confusion arose) he slapped a pitch invader that came on to attack a ref.

Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

What are the "small" and "big" heights for basketball players nowadays? I assume like a lot of sportsmen that are getting "bigger" as far as muscle is concerned but are they getting taller?

[ 14.01.2008, 12:54: Message edited by: Chairman of the Bored ]

ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. 7 feet is still the gold standard for centers (though they go down as "low" as 6'9" or 6'10") and though the number of 7 footers may have increased recently, that tends to be down to the increasing geographic reach of the NBA; Yao Ming (7'6") being the marquee example here. There is a classic NBA cliche about one not being able to teach height.

The bigger change in the last 40 years has been "small" players getting taller (or rather, taller players having good enough ball-handling and shooting skills to play guard). Magic Johnson was a revolutionary, playing as 6'9" "point guard" (i.e., the primary ball-handler), and while there hasn't been a second Magic, guards have been getting taller.

That said, there are probably still at least 10 guys under six feet tall on NBA rosters. Earl Boykins (who is 5'5") was the smallest guy in the league for several seasons, but I don't think he is on a team this year.

You are correct in assuming that everyone has bulked up considerably.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magic was incredible--he could play any position on the court with ease, and in that famous Finals game against the Sixers in his rookie season, he did. I don't think there will be anyone as versatile as he was again. It's rare for bigger guys to have a quick dribble and great passing vision, and not too many smaller guards can attack the basket with a giant center in their way. Iverson, no matter what else you can say about him, is amazing in that respect--he's usually the smallest guy on the court, but he's also the toughest and will go up against anybody.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

- posted      Profile for goldstone97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LeBron isn't too far off the same, no? Given it's harder to do now, since everyone else has gotten bigger and faster since Magic's era.
Posts: 1418 | From: not the friendly confines | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's true.

I always thought Joakim Noah was a giant douche. Seems his teammates agree.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
goldstone97
Member # 4318

The fact that it was Adrian Griffin and Ben Wallace calling the vote is a joke, though. Especially the latter, who has hardly set a shining example as a veteran leader.

I'm so frustrated by the Bulls right now.

Soccer Scrimmage
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Soccer Scrimmage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes. I bet Boston is glad they're done with the boys from DC for a while.
Posts: 2558 | From: Chicago | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

That's interesting, UA. I wonder if it is a case, not of the big guys getting bigger but, as is similar with rugby to an extent, the big guys are getting faster so can take the positions taken normally by "smaller" nippier guys.

I think Iverson is the smaller player I was aware of. 5ft 5 though? That is incredible. That would have been small in my school team

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC