This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » NZ vs England Test Series (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: NZ vs England Test Series
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crazy stuff today. Mind you, without getting all sniffy and Dalliance-like about technical abilities, this has been the lowest-standard Test series I've seen in years. There's been some woeful cricket from both sides.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He finished on 7-47 in the end. Top stuff from Sidearse.

England shouldn't be too pleased, however. Their demolition of New Zealand's innings was a real Antipodean thirteen-man effort, but not of the usual kind - credit is due to Sidebottom, Broad and all eleven New Zealand batsmen for a performance which, as Jonathan Agnew says, was not of test quality. Without Fleming and with Vettori skipping much of the tour to play for the IPL, New Zealand's forthcoming tour of England looks as though it might turn into an embarrassment. It seems that the ICC are going to allow NZ to be reduced to the level of Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, not by politics or inexperience, but by the intervention of a foreign commercial organisation.

quote:
When Jimmy Anderson is good he's very good, when he's bad he's fucking awful.
I agree with the last part of that. Anderson's promoters on this board mystify me. A four-man bowling attack, even one with Sidebottom in the form of his life, cannot afford to carry a bowler who will go for five or six or more an over every other test. Vic Marks, whose Observer columns and TMS appearences suggest he deserves some kind of lifetime achievement award for idiocy, was suggesting that Anderson should have been brought on at the end of NZ's innings to boost his confidence. Great idea, Vic - allow Vettori to milk him for three overs and turn a 80-run England lead into a 30-run one. Like the NZ batting, Anderson's bowling today was not of Test quality. His illusory five-for in the previous test will keep him in the side for the home tour, of course, but if Hoggard can be dropped after 248 wickets and one poor performance, what has Anderson done to keep his place?

[ 23.03.2008, 10:33: Message edited by: Lieutenant Dub ]

Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While watching NZL blow it, I was reminded of E10 gently rubbishing the standard in previous games- Ireland- Zimbabwe in the World Cup, or even Ultonia- Wales in the previous World Cup [Wink]

Introducing Anderson as the youth policy is a bit odd- he's been around the test squad for five years without ever looking established. Then again, alternatives are limited. Flintoff- maybe finished, he can't bat higher than #7 and can only manage three overs at a time in the Sharjah sandpit. Mahmood and Plunkett- not good enough. Tremlett seems to have disappeared. Onions?

With the Kiwis at 100-1 smacking Broad and Jimmy all over the place Botham and the even more miserable Willis were predicting them to get 400 and win by eight or nine wickets. No talk of a sub-standard team then.

While taking LD's point about NZL's lack of strength in depth, they are only playing a pretty mediocre England team.

I'd drop Strauss and Bell for the home tests, bring back Hoggard for Anderson. Ambrose to get the whole summer like Prior did last year. Flintoff to sweat a few hundred overs on the Kolpakshire circuit.

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But that only leaves us with nine players Duncan.
Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
England poor. New Zealand worse. Ground's in a nice location though.
Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This match has obviously been rigged by the New Zealand Employers' Federation, who want it to last no longer than the Easter public holidays.

Agree with the general comments on quality, which makes it all the more annoying that NZ have wasted the chance they were gifted, because Lt Dub is right about the coming series: the weakest NZ batting line-up I can recall touring England (worse than 2004, which wasn't exactly a triumph).

England could do everyone a favour by winning this one properly now, but will more likely field like shit and give NZ false hope in the 4th innings, before the inevitable.

Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strauss and Bell secure spots for next series. First innings batting now looks even worse.
Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's not the first time that Bell and Strauss score centuries in a test match, but it is the first time after Duncan Gardner recommended they be dropped.
Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's because it's the first time Strauss has had a two year trot averaging 30. Grudging credit to the pair of them (I only listened to lunchtime). Now hoping for a repeat of the Lords game with Sri Lanka in 2006. If that one had gone into a sixth day, Lanka would have won after following on 500 behind.

PS drop skipper Vaughan and all, miserable bugger.

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

Actually I completely agreed about dropping Strauss, I saw no reason to play him ahead of Shah. I still don't, incidentally.

Bell is the second youngest english batsman to 2,500 runs in test history. Averaging 42.something-or-other. Unless there's some hidden batting genius somewhere that I'm not aware of, dropping him would be just perverse.

Vaughan is becoming a liability. Not only is his batting suffering from a lack of confidence, so is his captaincy. Some of his field settings this series were just bizarre.

Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier thread. Cos Vaughan knows it's only his captaincy keeping him in the team it encourages him to try to be overly-clever with it so that he can show what a captaincy genius he is.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

Purple, I stand corrected. Bell played reasonably well in Lanka. I've been influenced by the BBC and Sky pundits (led by whining Willis) complaining that he can't hit it off the square. Only averages about 25 against Aussie mind.

Meanwhile, the Bangla revival continues apace as they gub Ireland 3-0. Uptown Boyd's spearing it down to deep fine leg obviously missed down Chittagong way.

Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If NZ have a gallant 4th innings failure in mind, they might look to the first test in England, 1973

Out for 440 chasing 479. Shame they lost their last 5 wickets for 38 runs really.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

The coaches at Warwickshire are re-working Boyd's action. He plants his front foot parallel to the popping crease, as opposed to straight down the track. If they can get that sorted out he should be back soon. It's exactly the same problem Flintoff has, btw.

I think the Irish are coming to play in Amsterdam later this year. I'm looking forward to it, I'm trying to wrangle myself a stewarding gig for at least three of the four days.

Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has he tried a slanted run up?
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC