This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » NZ vs England Test Series (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: NZ vs England Test Series
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They haven't brought Fred Goodall back have they?

http://www.cricketwi.com/images/cwiimages/holding-2.gif

Could someone post this rather fine picture as an image? The computer I'm on won't let me do it.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's class, Tubby.

-

I got the updated version of the Manley history of Windies cricket for Christmas, and am clearly going to have to read up on this series.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit of a tangent but have you seen this, Ursus? I think from Old Trafford 1976 where even Clive lloyd seems to have got a bit squeamish (he brought a spinner on). It's Brian Close (aged 46, with the 39 year old John Edrich up the other end) showing incredible bravery v Holding. He has no helmet or arm guard but still looks to get forward

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w-f5pfBgpNE

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear.
Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"team behavioural protocols" is a new one for me.
We used to call them "rules".

Tubby, I had never seen that Holding/Close footage before. I'm not sure if it is bravery, foolhardiness or sheer bloody-mindedness by Close, but Holding certainly doesn't come off well.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Ireland game fat boy failed to turn up for (at Surrey) might have been a complete washout anyway.

It's a shame, international cricket needs a new Inzamam.

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

The bowling isn't that short by 80s standards, Ursus. Like a lot of such people, Close was emotionally very sensitive. He went on an England tour as an 18 year old and found some senior players so aloof, he thought of suicide. He then spent the rest of his career attempting it either batting against Holding or fielding at a ridiculously close short leg.

Have you seen this clip from the 2005 Eng v Aus ODIs? If the bowling crease is too far away to get a proper hit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fw8RViGMYE

Your Own Personal Jihad
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for Your Own Personal Jihad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting take on Close Tubby, Botham described Close as the hardest man he ever met, in or out of sport.

Ryder has to do some kind of community service as he was abusive to the hospital staff who were naive enough to attempt to treat him.

Posts: 147 | From: Between a rock and a hard funk. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Viv Richards rated Close's captaincy at Somerset on a par with Clive Lloyd's. And he is similarly revered in the West Indies generally, probably because he let Holding's onslaught quite literally bounce off him.

This doesn't stop Close holding some quite, ahem, old-school attitudes to black people, though.

One of my favourite quotes of all time is from Close - "It's only pain. It's there for a few seconds, then it's gone."

YIPJ - does Ryder have some sort of deep-seated psychological problem? He seems like a total nutcase rather than the jolly fat man I assumed he must be on first appearences.

Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that Close's unwillingness to back down against Holding's bowling arose quite directly from his "old-school attitudes to black people".

I think it's a good thing that helmets have fully legitimised the bouncer as a delivery. Without one, it always looks a bit brutal.

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Your Own Personal Jihad
Member # 1595

- posted      Profile for Your Own Personal Jihad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"YIPJ - does Ryder have some sort of deep-seated psychological problem?

I won't know for sure until Ryder's former team-mate returns to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks. I've heard a couple of hair-raising rumors but I only like to post concrete libels, so we'll have to wait till Pete's back.

Posts: 147 | From: Between a rock and a hard funk. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Clive Lloyd wasn't a particularly good captain of Lancashire. And pre pace quartets, I don't know how good he was for West Indies.
He won the 1975 World Cup Final but that seems to be down to personal example (not just the hundred but he bowled 12 tight overs as well) rather than any tactical mastery. He had some low points in the 1975-6 tour to Australia (lost 5-1) where the West Indies adopted a preposterous tactic of trying to hit Lillee and Thompson out of the attack. And his team conceded 404 to lose at home to India in the fourth innings in Trinidad.

[ 25.02.2008, 15:45: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

Etienne, are you suggesting that if it had been Thompson bowling like that (who was quicker and just as brutal) that Close would have played it from square leg?

Funny that Close wasn't brought back v Australia in 1975, actually.

Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, probably not - though I suspect Thommo would have brought out some of Close's prejudices too!
But while I'm sure his default setting was "real men don't admit pain", I'm sure it was backed up with "and certainly not to the darkies."

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ryder is now in more trouble, for going out on the piss until 1.30 a.m the night before the last ODI. (England should have joined him, etc, etc ...)
Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC