This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » NZ vs England Test Series (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: NZ vs England Test Series
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then the management should know bloody well which players need the lash put to them to make sure they're bloody well fit and up to the job and which are able to look after themselves in a competent manner.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard Boycott on Five Live earlier chastising Strauss for his conservative approach today.

This comes only weeks after I read Botham's 'Head On' autobiography in which he laments a lack of professionalism in the modern game.

Irony is rife in cricket at the moment.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that wasn't boring.

NZ should have learnt by now not to underestimate these minnows. But it'll be fun tomorrow, one way or t'other. Apart from the weather forecast (no rain in sight), I'll stick with my prediction above, reserving the right to define "close to winning" as "losing".

Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pietersen's comments sound a bit more sane now given how NZ struggled as soon as they got aggresive.

though it was still a stunningly slow bit of scoring from England.

Well done Siders today, lot's of punditry suggesting this is a big moment in Harmisons career... Vaughan has lost faith in him and he may have lost faith in himself.

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
England 31-4 in pursuit of 300.

When pundits talked during New Zealand's third-innings collapse of 'another Adelaide' they weren't. But like then, it's gonna be England on the losing end of one.

Isn't it about time the supposedly world class Pietersen played a halfway significant Test innings? He's basically done fuck all since his flat-track bullied 200 against the West Indies. He's barely even justifying his own place in the team.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, New Zealand have been rewarded for being positive, throughout the Test. They batted better and faster than England, they then pushed for runs to set up the fourth innings chase, and even this morning Vettori was "too generous" with his declaration (i.e he played to win). They took the risk of losing, and the result is, now they can't.

That doesn't necessarily mean they'll win, but at least there won't be the travesty of England going one up after about one good hour in five days.

Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It grieves me to say I agree with you. All the things I've liked about Vaughan's England over the past five years - the quick scoring, the positive bowling - are evaporating now. We deserve to lose this one.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Impact Substitute
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Impact Substitute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NZ have taken an eight wicket. They're closing in on victory.

I'm tired and want to go to bed, but can't leave a game at such a stage.

Posts: 1074 | From: a whisper to a scream | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Impact Substitute
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Impact Substitute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Game over. England bowled out for 110. Good God, England were dreadful.

I'm off to bed.

Posts: 1074 | From: a whisper to a scream | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha that was hilarious. I dozed off at lunchtime, but luckily the England badminders kept sending updates during the wee hours.
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the circumstances - with the greatest respect to NZ cricket - a truly pitiful 'effort' from England.

Take Cook's catching out of the equation and there was nothing positive to take from this at all.

Moores will be lucky see this tour out.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my good god. Well we didn't get bowled out by the spinners because we got bowled out by the seamers.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unkind people often suggest New Zealand is a bit behind the times, and for once I agree. Watching England's fourth innings performance was like being transported back to the mid-1990s. Shut your eyes and it was possible to imagine an Atherton-inspired collapse from 3 down, or Ed Giddens' wickets being splintered.

Watching that, it's odd to think that this England team, not so long ago, were considered to be bristling with potential. It's hard not to fear the worst. Has Pietersen been comprehensively rumbled by video analysis of his flawed technique, as Strauss was? Has Matthew Hoggard succumbed to the death of a thousand cuts by injuries and illness? Was Duncan Fletcher's parting shot to the England team to fatally torpedo Panesar's confidence? Is that really Steve Harmison, or a trundling, radarless impostor? Why don't England have the strength in depth for a root and branch reform? And what the hell are they going to do?

[ 11.03.2008, 00:55: Message edited by: Lieutenant Dub ]

Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a subject for a separate thread but has there ever been such a flash in the pan performance as England's Ashes series win?

Ever since then they have been utterly dreadful in test cricket.

It started with Flintoff's staggeringly drunk celebrations which screamed out how unprofessional English cricket is and how one Ashes series win was seen as enough success by the senior players.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a subject for a separate thread but has there ever been such a flash in the pan performance as England's Ashes series win?

Ever since then they have been utterly dreadful in test cricket.

It started with Flintoff's staggeringly drunk celebrations which screamed out how unprofessional English cricket is and how one Ashes series win was seen as enough success by the senior players.

Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC