This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » NZ vs England Test Series (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: NZ vs England Test Series
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
England well ahead.

Re Chatfield, mentioned upthread, cricinfo has him being hit on the head by Peter Lever:

-

His life was saved by the England physio, Bernard Thomas.

Botham later sledged Chatfield (a man 5 years his senior) with the line "Look, son, you've already died once in a test match!"

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rory, Chatfield didn't play in that game, it seems- Wellington 1978? The bowler who dismissed Willis was Hadlee. The chap looking like he's a bowler, I've no idea.

I'll tell you who it isn't- Glenn Turner. I assume he was in dispute with the board over money. For someone who wanted to be paid his worth and wasn't that bothered about playing for NZ, it is very suspicious he didn't join Packer, isn't it?

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that photo Geoff Howarth has the ball, Mark Burgess is in the cap, not sure about the others, (plus Bob Willis of course).

I love Test cricket but it sure can give you a slow death sometimes. This one's over, one-all, let's go to the decider, save ourselves the wait.

(Hang on, rain forecast for tomorrow ... give me that straw).

Glenn Turner was preparing for his benefit year with Worcs in 1978 (that's why he missed NZ's tour later that year). He was pretty single/bloody-minded about such things.

Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just watched today's highlights and England's fielding is back to mid-90s quality. How many dropped catches, fluffed stops, missed stumpings and stupid overthrows? Phil Tufnell could make a DVD purely out of today's play.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
England's fielding may have been bad yesterday, but it was excellent at Hamilton.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I mention that Andrew Strauss has changed his grip? If you look at a DvD of the 2005 Ashes series, his bat was much more open then. Now it's turned in, so I think it must be much more difficult to play shots square of the wicket on the off now. Which is odd because that was always his great strength, I thought.
Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And so, finally, they win. Really looking forward to the third test.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

- posted      Profile for Tee-Rex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
England will certainly be looking forward to it now. Mills and Oram are both out injured.

Whatever your favourite bookie is offering for an England win, take it.

Posts: 3795 | From: tomorrow, your time | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

Apparently Southee took 17 wickets at 6.64 in the u19 World Cup, which sounds Hadlee-esque until you remember some of the teams competing in it.
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give the lad a chance- he looked tidy in the T20 game against England.

Looks like the spinner Patel is back for Mark Gillespie. Agree you have to fancy England though.

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

He seems to be considered a big prospect, I'm not running him down. But, y'know, I'd be more worried if those wickets hadn't come against the likes of Nepal and Malaysia.
The Purple Cow
Member # 50

- posted      Profile for The Purple Cow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Apparently Southee took 17 wickets at 6.64 in the u19 World Cup..."

Well yes, but my mate Pete was the leading wicket taker in the previous u19 World Cup. He now plays his cricket in Amsterdam.

So, you know...

Posts: 5801 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We won't expect him to dominate international cricket for a decade, but he might cause Vaughan and co. a few problems. Like uptown Boyd did in the World Cup.
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

And the boy Southee done good. England teetering on the brink of defeat at 4-1, confirming my confident prediction up the page.
Tee-Rex
Member # 609

Bloody hell! 4-2! See, I always rated this guy I've never heard of.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC