This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, the time is soon upon us when old rivalries will be unleashed and everyone will go "Why is Twickenham full of people dressed as Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider?"

And here is Ashton's first squad -

England squad:

Backs:
Balshaw (Gloucester) - OH FUCK, NOT HIM AGAIN! How many more times do we have to suffer this injury prone and hopeless cunt. Barfist scum.
Cipriani (Wasps) - Please don't start him. It would be madness.
Cueto (Sale Sharks) - Probably a shoo-in at 14 for his experience
Flood (Newcastle) - Covers 10 & 12, is likely to start at 12
Gomarsall (Harlequins) - Been off the boil but as ever, what choice do we have
Hodgson (Sale Sharks) - Fair enough
Noon (Newcastle) - Is he really preferred to Hipkiss? Jesus wept.
Richards (London Irish) - In with a good shout at 9. Or possibly 7.
Sackey (Wasps) - Fair enough. His try scoring record's decent, but there will forever be a question over his all round game
Strettle (Harlequins) - The only Quins player who's looked consistently good this season, should start (but won't)
Tait (Newcastle) - Is he a 15 or a 13? I'd say 15 on this squad
Tindall (Gloucester) - Down as captain material if Vickery is unfit. Experiened and I can see him starting. But FFS NOT AT 12!
Wigglesworth (Sale) - Fair enough
Wilkinson (Newcastle) - Well duh.
Vainikolo (Gloucester) - I'm not convinced that he's the answer. 5 tries against Leeds do not make him an automatic for the England squad. What message does this send out to other players as well?

Forwards:

Borthwick (Bath) - In with a good chance of starting or the captaincy if Vickery is unfit
Croft (Leicester) - In for the experience
Chuter (Leicester) - Probably starting at hooker
L Deacon(Leicester) - Hmmm
Easter (Harlequins) - If fit, starts at 8
Haskell (Wasps) - Should be nailed on at 6
Kay (Leicester) - Probably fighting for the 5 shirt with Borthwick
Mears (Bath) - No 2 in the order?
Moody (Leicester) - Nailed on at 7
Payne (Wasps) - Interesting.
Rees (Wasps) - Subs bench, I'd say
Regan (Bristol) - Fighting with Mears for the bench place, I'd reckon
Shaw (Wasps) - One last year for him and out
Sheridan (Sale) - Nailed on at 1
Stevens (Bath) - I'd start him ahead of Vickery, but he'll bench for his versatility.
Vickery (Wasps, capt) - He's hardly been setting the world alight, has he?
Worsley (Wasps) - OH FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK! NOT HIM AGAIN! HE'S THE FORWARDS' BALSHAW.

[ 30.01.2008, 16:24: Message edited by: Eggchaser ]

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anybody be classed as pre-tournament favourites then?

Who knows how France will react to another Semi final meltdown. 2007 was even worse than 03. Is Laporte still coach, or did he get axed after the WC? If anyone is going to win a Grand Slam then I think it will be the French, but 4 wins will probably be enough for them to top the table. They should manage that.

England are a limited side, however now the WC is over Ashton might well go back to playing a more expansive game like he tried to do in last years 6N. And they might be limited, but at least they've got some balls. Unlike...

Wales. A new coach might mean renewed vigour, but Wales' game has for some time been built around Martyn Williams, and now he's gone we don't have a proper open side. Long term we need to sort out some form of central contracts. I don't see how all the top players playing for the hairsprays helps the national side. I think most people will be more than happy with 3 wins, as long as we don't get a pasting. However our recent record at Twickenham and Dublin is abysmal, featuring a whole host of capitulations.

Ireland need a complete overhaul of tactics, particularly from O'Gara who has regressed into Eric Elwood. A deeply dislikable team, who's only real achievement now seems to be that they become even more dislikable each time I see them play.

I can well imagine a scenario whereby Scotland win a triple crown. They play England at home, and Ireland and Wales were both so poor at the WC I can see them winning out in tight games against them. But if Ireland and Wales get it right Scotland could get stuffed, and find themsleves in a wooden spoon fight with Italy.

Italy's best chance for points lies in the home game against Scotland, or maybe the match in Cardiff, where they got a draw two years ago. The WC was a one game affair for them really, and they lost it, so it will be interesting to see if they have continued to develop from last year, or regressed.

[ 09.01.2008, 13:11: Message edited by: ooh aah ]

Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marsupialman
Member # 1180

- posted      Profile for marsupialman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with most of your comments Egg, although I'm aghast that you're still doing Sackey down. He was impeccable at the WC and it's time you admiited that. I'd start him and Stretts on the wings and have big Lesley to come on late and have a go at a tiring defence.

Noon.

Good god.

What the fuck is he doing there? He's the poor man's Tindall. A bosh-merchant with slightly less power. Mr Dependable. Mr Arse more like. I'm a diehard Farrell fan, but was prepared for him to be missing from this squad. But at the expense of Noon!? Fucks sake. Hipkiss must be sniffing his armpits.

Worsley - I'm a fan, but he's been given too many chances and delivered too many false dawns. Same with Balshaw.

Tom Palmer should also be there. He's still raw, but he's the future, whereas Borthwick, Kay and Shaw are rapidly running out of time.

Tournament wise, France are my favourites (will we see Michalak as born-again scrum-half?) with England and Wales challenging. Ireland to go backwards, Scotland and Italy to battle out the spoon.

[ 09.01.2008, 13:33: Message edited by: marsupialman ]

Posts: 150 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
who's only real achievement now seems to be that they become even more dislikable each time I see them play.

Winning the Triple Crown with sufficient regularity that nobody even seems to think it's an achievement anymore has to be some kind of achievement...
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but they were expected to be winning the whole thing, not just a triple crown.
Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. Sackey's still poor in contact (he was turned over several times in the WC with his poor body positioning), for one thing. I'll admit he's a great finisher and Wasps have improved him immeasurably, but there's something about him that makes me think he's not quite there as a top player.

But, if he carries on scoring, who cares?

I can't see the point in picking a 28 year old Tongan/New Zealander with extremely dodgy knees who has played the sum total of 9 Union games in his whole life over Varndell or JSD. He's no Jason Robinson, either.

As I said, Shaw's got one last hurrah in him.

I just worry that this is the team Arseton will pick -

1 Sheridan - Fine
2 Regan - Should be Chuter
3 - Vickery - Should be Stevens
4 - Shaw - Fine
5 - God knows? Kay? Borthwick? A N Other
6 Worsley - Jesus, No. Should be Haskell.
7 - Moody - Fine
8 - Easter if fit - Fine

9 - Gomarsall - Who else is there?
10 - Wilkinson - Fine
11 Sackey - Fine
12 - Flood - The only person in the whole squad capable of playing 12 at a decent level. Allen is another glaring omission.
13 - Tindall - Fine. For now.
14 Cueto - Wrong. Should be Strettle.
15 - Tait - Fine

But I can see the horror of a Sackey/Tait/Balshite back three with Cueto covering - two players out of position, one of them fucking useless and steady eddie on the bench...

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marsupialman
Member # 1180

- posted      Profile for marsupialman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have no fear, I think Stretts will start.

Flood/Tindall - both fine players, but I can't see this working as a combo. I'd prefer one of them with Tait or Hipkiss. Is Ashton mad enough to pitch Cipriani in and shift Jonny to 12? Could happen.

quote:
Winning the Triple Crown with sufficient regularity that nobody even seems to think it's an achievement anymore has to be some kind of achievement...
Clive's England kept on winning Triple Crowns and Championships but they always treated them as second prize. They wanted a slam. They learnt their lessons, got better, and claimed one. Ireland were at the shame stage, but one minute of madness at Croke Park against the French seems to have broken their heads. They could still come back and do what England did, but I think the world cup showed that they've lost it. I won't be sorry to see them slip back, if that's what happens, purely becuase of the hubris that Rog showed when he chose to sound off about English rugby. Tool.
Posts: 150 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a bloke at Bath, playing 12, can cover 10, who's probably in the form of his life.

Balshaw christ, but I suspect Foden waould have got the 15 jersey had he been fit, Lamb should be in the big squad ahead of Wasps erratic prodigy.

The Samoan league player....blimey, he can finish, but I don't like it.

4 years out from a World Cup and we're still dicking about, it's time to say thanks to Ronnie, to Worsley, to get Hipkiss in, and Lamb, and Crane and Narraway....No problem with Shaw though, best 2nd row in Europe, if not World Rugby now Victors drawing his pension.

And I'd play Tindall at 13, outside the Bath player. With Strettle and Cueto on the Wing, Tait at 15, until Foden gets fit. The choice at 10 though....Wilkinson vs Hodgson...it's got to be Charlie on form, but I fear he'll be either benched or dazzling us parochial buggers at Edgeley each week.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marsupialman
Member # 1180

Olly! I'd forgotten Olly. You're dead right on that score.

Is Foden set for being a 15 or will he revert to scrum-half at some point?

Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laporte left after the World Cup to be sports minister in Sarkozy's government, didn't he?
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ursus arctos
Member # 1452

- posted      Profile for ursus arctos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oui, monsieur.

The current coach is Marc Lièvremont.

Posts: 18670 | From: mediolanum | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

quote:
There's a bloke at Bath, playing 12, can cover 10, who's probably in the form of his life.

True, but he's a fucking headcase who's about to be banged up (probably), has never done it for England and can't play alongside Wilkinson as he ably demonstrated in the World Cup.

And he only has one ball.

The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Banged up? For what?
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raskolnikov
Member # 751

- posted      Profile for Raskolnikov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ABH
Posts: 651 | From: London, England | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't watch that much Union, and as one of the forum's small band of Leaguies I understand I'm a bit out of touch, but I did watch quite a bit of Bath/Gloucester on Friday and I thought Nick Abendandon (sp) looked a hell of a player. Secure under the high ball, strong confident runner and didn't do much wrong in the most testing of conditions.

So why is he not in at fullback then? You could move Tait back to the centre where he belongs.

Vainikolo would do fine, I'm sure. His kind of strength and pace transcends codes.

And what happened to that little stand-off from London Irish who did really well when he came on against France in 6 Nations last year? Now he looked a good prospect.

[ 09.01.2008, 19:17: Message edited by: Joe Public ]

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC