This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Sport » On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: On seconds thoughts, 6N redux plus squabbling thread
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
still no sign of Bowe

I'd say Bowe will probably be thinking that this game is a good one to miss.

As regard the three new men, Ireland players who make their full Six Nations debuts in Paris usually endure an extremely unhappy afternoon. I remember a flanker from the North called Don Whittle who was brought in for the game in 1988. Ireland got hammered by about 35 points (remember, this was in the days of four points for a try) and Whittle was never capped again.

[ 05.02.2008, 14:32: Message edited by: Lieutenant Frank Drebin ]

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I remember that. The graveyard of flankers thing was really the Parc des Princes, though, the Stade hasn't got the same aura.

And "start" and "debut" are rather different things in the Brave New World.

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the Stade hasn't got the same aura.

Why do Ireland keep getting battered by 20-30 points there, then?

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Different point.
Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fausto Ptang
Member # 1183

- posted      Profile for Fausto Ptang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Gethin Jenkins is unlucky not to be starting, otherwise a good selection. I'd have Peel in front of Phillips, although the flanker in a number nine shirt deserves to keep his place.
Shanklin in, which is good. Alun Wyn is a big loss.

Posts: 3654 | From: Out West | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Shanklin but can't really see what Popham did wrong to be out of the squad entirely. Nothing against Delve but Gatland has singled out Popham to "work on things" which appear odd. Did I miss something obvious on Saturday?
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really rate Delve, but agree that Popham is a little hard done by. Delve's a more obvious 6/8, so if theres a doubt about Thomas....? Arguably a better line-out option too.

Popham's a known quantity, Delve and the maligned Sowden-Taylor need game time, they have to impose themselves on the squad soon, Williams can't go on forever, and I really don't think Thomas is totally secure at 6.

I wish big ol' Ryan were English though.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone think Ashton's up to it or worthy of respect after recent events?

15 Iain Balshaw (Gloucester Rugby) - I think we are all agreed on this.

14 Paul Sackey (London Wasps) - No problems

13 Jamie Noon (Newcastle Falcons) - Oh hooray. Poor, impoverished man's Tindall.

12 Toby Flood (Newcastle Falcons) - No problems

11 Lesley Vainikolo (Gloucester Rugby) - Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Not experienced enough.

10 Jonny Wilkinson (Newcastle Falcons) - He'd better put in a MOTM display and get the backs moving.

9 Andy Gomarsall (Harlequins) - Well, who else is there?

1 Tim Payne (London Wasps) - What on earth is he doing there?

2 Mark Regan (Bristol Rugby) - Wrong. Well off the pace against Wales. Gutless to retain him post WC.

3 Phil Vickery (London Wasps, Captain) - Not a captain, not in good form.

4 Simon Shaw (London Wasps) - Fine.

5 Steve Borthwick (Bath Rugby) - Fine.

6 James Haskell (London Wasps) - Fine.

7 Michael Lipman (Bath Rugby) - A.N. Other GP 7 to slot in after Moody dropped out was always on the cards and he's as good a choice as any,

8 Nick Easter (Harlequins) - Good. Get some grunt and nous into the back row.

Replacements

16 Lee Mears (Bath Rugby) - Should be starting with Hartley on the bench.

17 Matt Stevens (Bath Rugby) - Should be starting.

18 Ben Kay (Leicester Tigers) - Should be nowhere.

19 Luke Narraway (Gloucester Rugby) - Deserves a lash in the second half.

20 Richard Wigglesworth (Sale Sharks) - Who else is there?

21 Danny Cipriani (London Wasps) - Hopefully will have a slightly better time of it this weekend!

22 Mathew Tait (Newcastle Falcons) - Thank the Lord we have at least some cover.

Terrible team selection in many ways. But entirely expected. Why go for youth, vigour and dash when you can pick age, conservatism and stodge?

BRIAN ASHTON'S COMMENTS ON A CERTAIN PLAYER - GUESS WHO?

quote:
".. He'd played pretty well in the first half.. And looked back to his best."
Fuck me running. I mean what the hell did Balshaw do to pleasure Ashton so much in the past that he's blinder than a man wioth no eyes to the man's bumbling incompetence?

BUT - Inexperienced and off form front row, Easter not match fit and inexperience surrounding him, half backs playing like ratshit, donkey at 13, inexperienced wing, fuckwit at 15, doddering old fool at coach - if I were the Italians, I'd be thinking they I was with a shout.

[ 06.02.2008, 11:27: Message edited by: Eggchaser ]

Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooh aah
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for ooh aah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Popham should be in for Jonathan Thomas who has done nothing since the world cup in 03. I really must be missing something cos he keeps getting picked. I'd start with Popham, have Delve on the bench, and wouldn't even have JT on the bench at the Dragons.

Good to see Shanks in, as said above, and Mark Jones was poor or Saturday losing the ball in contact 3 or 4 times. No real surprise he lost his place. I'm not really sure that Sonny Parker offers much coming on from the bench though. Doesn't really strike me as a game changing player. Maybe Gatland only intends to bring him on in the event of an injury, not as a tactical sub.

Geth is unlucky as he was superb in the second half, and had Sheridan blowing out of his arse within 10 mins of coming on. I guess the plan will be to bring Gethin on around the 50 min mark again, and take advantage of the tiring legs in the Scottish front row. Their replacements looked a bit weak there against France. Even so Adam Jones did nothing in the set piece or the loose on saturday. When Phillips charged down that kick and the ball fell between Duncan Jones and Gethin, I imagine pretty much everyone was hoping it would fall for Gethin because you knew he'd look around for options, whereas Duncan would have looked for contact. Class act.

Posts: 2266 | From: the bottom of the barrel | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

Flannery's ban has been halved, making him available for the Wales, Scotland and England games.

In the meantime, poor old Bernard Jackman gets thrown to the lions in Paris . . .

Member # 465

Nah, Berj is well up to it. Unless the jumpers stuff things up massively and EOS scapegoats him for it, he'll be there for the rest of the campaign.
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

"Berj"?

Another one to add to the reeking heap of "Frano", "Drico", "Bod", "Rog", "Pa", "Noisy", "Slatts" etc. Why are all Irish rugby players' nicknames rubbish?

GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most nicknames are rubbish.

Amazed by the Flannery decision.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 465

I've used it about five times on this thread already. Pronounced like Birch. it's what he's always been called in Clontarf, I don't know if it's in wider usage.
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

Most nicknames are rubbish.

Not as rubbish as "Drico" or "Berj" . . .

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC